Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In Oklahoma, a School District Is Debating Bible Distribution to Children

Posted by   + Show Post

In Oklahoma, a School District Is Debating Bible Distribution to Children

October 12, 2012 By

When it comes to the distribution of religious books in public schools, the laws are very simple: If you allow the holy books of one faith to be handed out in school, you must allow the holy books of all faiths. You're better off, though, not handing out anything like that at all.

Gideons International - the group best known for their hotel room Bibles - has a long history of handing out Bibles to children in elementary school and they recently tried to get their books into the Grove Public Schools in northeastern Oklahoma. (Because I guess there are no churches in the state...?)

The school board, knowing a lawsuit would come their way if they allowed it, said no.

Earlier this week, though, more than 100 residents spoke out at a school board meeting urging the officials to reconsider their decision:

The Rev. Tony Wisdom and lawyer Robert Plunk urged the five-member school board to rethink the ban, which was approved this year after complaints and threats of a lawsuit from parents.

Plunk told the board that the Rotary Club gives dictionaries to third-graders and that Bibles can be offered as long as it is done in the same manner.

The board did not address the policy during the meeting and took no action.

Wisdom, who spoke to thunderous applause, said students should be given access to the greatest book ever written.

The minority should not override the majority, he said, adding that other religions also should have the right to give out materials.

Did they seriously just compare the Bible to a dictionary? That's crazy talk. One's full of wisdom and is an essential component of a good education... and the other's the Bible.

And what's with this minority/majority argument? The majority doesn't get to overturn the constitution on a whim.

At least the school leadership is opposed to bringing divisive religion into the district, right?

Of course not:

"There were people that wanted us to lose our jobs for allowing the Gideons to pass out Bibles last year," Superintendent Sandy Coaly said Wednesday.

"We were told if we allowed them to be passed out the school would be sued," Coaly said. "If it was me personally, we would have them (Bibles) in our backpack and read them 30 minutes a day."

30 minutes a day?! I guess if you cut out science class, you could always throw in Bible-readin'-time...

But here's what we'll do. If the school district allows these Bibles to be distributed in the schools, I vow to raise money on this site to purchase books about atheism and have them sent to every school in the district. I'll throw in some Korans while I'm at it.

Rev. Wisdom even said "other religions... should have the right to give out materials" so let's call his bluff.

Or we can just let the Freedom From Religion Foundation know. The fear of the impending lawsuit will scare the district back into submission.

(Thanks to Beau for the link)

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Lol!

Quoting missmansmommy:

I think that would be wonderful!! Stop distributing pro-homosexual propoganda and condoms, and give them something that will guide them and nourish them instead. Praise God! I hope it passes!! By the way, the seperation of church and state was to protect the church, not the state.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting missmansmommy:

I think that would be wonderful!! Stop distributing pro-homosexual propoganda and condoms, and give them something that will guide them and nourish them instead. Praise God! I hope it passes!! By the way, the seperation of church and state was to protect the church, not the state.

I know you probably didn't mean to be funny, but this is one of the most amusing responses I've read today.  Thanks for the giggle.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

hahaha

Quoting missmansmommy:

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Two requests:

1) Exactly what pro-homosexual literature has been distributed? Because literature that says its not ok to mistreat gays isn't pro-homosexual, it's anti-discriminatory. If you can show me literature distributed to public schools which advocates homosexuality, I'd like to see it.

2) When you suggest that separation of church and state was to protect the church (the inference being that it was to promulgate a theocracy rather than prevent one), exactly which founding fathers or framers of the Constitution are you referring to? Or, if you have case law that states this, can you point me to it, as I'd love to see it.

Quoting missmansmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol....homosexual propaganda?
you're a loon.
The schools are there to teach, not indoctrinate.

Quoting missmansmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I don't think the schools should be handing Bibles or any other religious books..

• Just wondering if you have been in a public school lately?  They are indoctrinating the kids.  Its not even a subtle thing.  Just last week a democrat teacher demanded a student take off a Romney Tshirt, tired to mark on it with a permanent marker, and took the girl into the hallway and had other students and teachers humiliate the girl. That is indoctrination.  The teacher wasn't even fired or suspended, just moved to another class.  

If teachers can't preach to our kids, they shouldn't be able to indoctrinate them with their political beliefs either.

Quoting lga1965:

Lol....homosexual propaganda?
you're a loon.
The schools are there to teach, not indoctrinate.

Quoting missmansmommy:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

How intollerant and rude of you. In my opinion the bible only serves to propogate hatred and the belief that it's ok the rape young women our planet. I don't want my child exposed to that drivel. Would you be ok with Pagan rituals being passed out as school.

what the fuck is homosexual propoganda? Why shouldn't we prevent teen pregnancy and STDs by passing out condoms, my religion doesn't see sex as immoral.

OH and you are wrong about the separation of church and state, it was to keep people from using the government to force their beliefs on others.

Quoting missmansmommy:

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM

When I was young, 6th grade was the last year of elementary school.  Every graduating 6th grader received on just like the one in the picture.  So, this is not a new convention.  It used to always be that way.  I'm not saying I agree with it.  Just saying that's the way it used to be.  Now, they are trying to bring it back.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting missmansmommy:

Whatever the intention was, it protects BOTH.  Trust me, you don't want the government to advocate religion, because some day your religion may not be in the majority.

Isn't it enough to have it at home and in church?  If my kid came home with a Bible, the school would be hearing from me....in person....

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Just curious but why are so many afraid of students being allowed to receive a free bible? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)