Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In Oklahoma, a School District Is Debating Bible Distribution to Children

Posted by   + Show Post

In Oklahoma, a School District Is Debating Bible Distribution to Children

October 12, 2012 By

When it comes to the distribution of religious books in public schools, the laws are very simple: If you allow the holy books of one faith to be handed out in school, you must allow the holy books of all faiths. You're better off, though, not handing out anything like that at all.

Gideons International - the group best known for their hotel room Bibles - has a long history of handing out Bibles to children in elementary school and they recently tried to get their books into the Grove Public Schools in northeastern Oklahoma. (Because I guess there are no churches in the state...?)

The school board, knowing a lawsuit would come their way if they allowed it, said no.

Earlier this week, though, more than 100 residents spoke out at a school board meeting urging the officials to reconsider their decision:

The Rev. Tony Wisdom and lawyer Robert Plunk urged the five-member school board to rethink the ban, which was approved this year after complaints and threats of a lawsuit from parents.

Plunk told the board that the Rotary Club gives dictionaries to third-graders and that Bibles can be offered as long as it is done in the same manner.

The board did not address the policy during the meeting and took no action.

Wisdom, who spoke to thunderous applause, said students should be given access to the greatest book ever written.

The minority should not override the majority, he said, adding that other religions also should have the right to give out materials.

Did they seriously just compare the Bible to a dictionary? That's crazy talk. One's full of wisdom and is an essential component of a good education... and the other's the Bible.

And what's with this minority/majority argument? The majority doesn't get to overturn the constitution on a whim.

At least the school leadership is opposed to bringing divisive religion into the district, right?

Of course not:

"There were people that wanted us to lose our jobs for allowing the Gideons to pass out Bibles last year," Superintendent Sandy Coaly said Wednesday.

"We were told if we allowed them to be passed out the school would be sued," Coaly said. "If it was me personally, we would have them (Bibles) in our backpack and read them 30 minutes a day."

30 minutes a day?! I guess if you cut out science class, you could always throw in Bible-readin'-time...

But here's what we'll do. If the school district allows these Bibles to be distributed in the schools, I vow to raise money on this site to purchase books about atheism and have them sent to every school in the district. I'll throw in some Korans while I'm at it.

Rev. Wisdom even said "other religions... should have the right to give out materials" so let's call his bluff.

Or we can just let the Freedom From Religion Foundation know. The fear of the impending lawsuit will scare the district back into submission.

(Thanks to Beau for the link)

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (281-290):
LiliMama18
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Advertising surrounds them whether I like it or not, from the snack machines to the sports uniforms.
I think where our disagreement here is that I don't see giving a bible (again, bible not tract) to a kid as morphing their beliefs or lack thereof. I also wouldn't see tgat at with any other texts- now, im not naive enough to think thered be certain Christian right wingers that would pitch a fit if a Koran was handed out, but I lump anyone who sees learning any other religion as a negative in the same category.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LiliMama18:

Right, but in this instance, the school itself wouldn't be passing out the bibles, the Gideon's would, so the authority point is moot.

I Really truly would not have an issue of any religious book (book, not tract) being passed around- I just think Christians are the only local religion that would be inclined to pass out their book.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LiliMama18:

Uh huh, and the bible is also more subtle about it than the satanists bible.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The Bible is also crude, sweetie, and is full of murder, violence, incest and a whole slew of other things that are inappropriate for young eyes.

I just wanted to jump in here and say that just because you think the Bible is "more subtle" about murder, violence and incest than the Satanist Bible, that doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't have a different judgment about that.  We are now no longer talking about the Constitutionality of handing out religious paraphernalia in a public school, but which kinds are OK for little eyes and when they might be able to handle the material.  For me, the answer is it shouldn't be there at all, that schools have authority roles in children's lives and they are not able to differentiate between a school giving them a free Bible as a little present, do with it what you will, and a school handing them a Bible and believing that it's a truthful document. 

Would you have a problem with local businesses standing in the lobby of your kid's school handing out advertising information to them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

No it doesn't unless the refuse to. They gave put the Bibles because they where given out by a group for free. They never refused to hand out other reliougs books but none where ever offered to the school.

I have two questions for you.

How would you feel about your kids at a public school being given religious materials that were not in line with your beliefs?

How would you feel about local merchants coming to school and distributing advertising in the lobby?  How about Planned Parenthood?

i would be fine with that because i am going to let my children choose what they want to believe in. I am in no way going to force my beliefs on them. it is a choice they have to make on their own.

what kind of merchants? 

and i am fine with some one coming in and talking about sex, abstinence, and forms of birth control. for that matter my school had this done in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. and again in high school if you took the childhood development class. 

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting LiliMama18:

I wish there were more Rastas in the world :/

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So screw the faiths of kids who practice non Abrahic religions? Not a chance in your hell is my childs school going to teach his class about Islam, and Judaism, Christianity as if they are only "legitimate" religions. I would raise my own bit of hell over that slap in the face to all religions outside the mainstream.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting morrigan914:

Would you he equally okay with me donating 'Practical Satanism' to your childrens school for the teachers to hand out?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I don't have a problem with it.  The school is not giving them out...no public dollars have been spent on them....and here's the kicker....handing out a Bible does not establish a CHURCH..which is what the first amendment is ACTUALLY about.

Is it going to cause the school to establish a church the kids are required to go to?  If not...the answer is send away...your first amendment rights are just as valid as mine.

I believe we should be teaching a religion class in at least the high school level...kids need to have a basic knowledge and a basic respect for the legitimate faiths in the world. 

I'm in Liberal Cali and my son learned about a wide variety of religions in Social Studies when he was in middle school.

Who decides what faiths are legit?

No one decides what is legit...numbers do.  You obviously can't cover every faith so you focus on the primary ones.  Statistically the top 3 by overwhelming numbers are Christianity, Islam and Hinduism....I would probably add the next 4 or 5....I would then ask my students for short reports on at least 1 other religion...reports to be shared with the class.  You could easily add more by teaching them along with something else they go with...as an example...Tribal religions could go with history.  If there are families of the small statistical religions..bring someone in to share with the kids.

I think it is great your son learned about a variety of religions.  Religions can have similarities and it is these similarities that can give us the start of tolerance of faith different than our own.

I didn't realize Hinduism was an Abrahamic religion....  Beyond that, maybe you should google some statistics on the religions of the world.  My suggestion covered many that are not Abrahamic.  I even suggested how even more could be covered...a school could have just 1 family of a faith not in the curriculum and still bring it in..just by having someone share.  Depending on how it is done 20 or more could be covered......................so either you can't read or you are in such a fizz over my use of the word legitimate to describe statistical numbers that you didn't even read/comprehend what I have been saying.

One such list I suggested....

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion

2. Islam: 1.5 billion

3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4. Hinduism: 900 million

5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6. Buddhism: 376 million

7. primal-indigenous: 300 million

8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9. Sikhism: 23 million

10. Juche: 19 million

11. Spiritism: 15 million

12. Judaism: 14 million

13. Baha'i: 7 million

14. Jainism: 4.2 million

15. Shinto: 4 million

16. Cao Dai: 4 million

17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18. Tenrikyo: 2 million

19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22. Scientology: 500 thousand

I'm sorry.  I don't know a lot about the faith, but I do know there are Christianity has some core similarities.  This is why I think learning of other faiths is a good thing...it gives us a chance to learn what makes us alike...gives us a common bond...it is much easier to have tolerant if not good relationships when there is a common bond.

EDITED...uh oh..my bad.  You said Rasta....for some reason my brain translated Zoroastrianism...  I apologize.  I don't know anything about your faith..at least not yet...if you have a site to recommend I will have a look.  I didn't delete or change my answer because I feel like the principal behind it is important.

Kaya529
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM
They probably would if they knew what theocracy meant.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

What part of separation of church and state is not understood? What makes some of these groups and schools feel they're above that law?

There seem to be a lot of people in this country who think we live in a Theocracy. *sigh*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting LiliMama18:

Advertising surrounds them whether I like it or not, from the snack machines to the sports uniforms.
I think where our disagreement here is that I don't see giving a bible (again, bible not tract) to a kid as morphing their beliefs or lack thereof. I also wouldn't see tgat at with any other texts- now, im not naive enough to think thered be certain Christian right wingers that would pitch a fit if a Koran was handed out, but I lump anyone who sees learning any other religion as a negative in the same category.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LiliMama18:

Right, but in this instance, the school itself wouldn't be passing out the bibles, the Gideon's would, so the authority point is moot.

I Really truly would not have an issue of any religious book (book, not tract) being passed around- I just think Christians are the only local religion that would be inclined to pass out their book.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LiliMama18:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The Bible is also crude, sweetie, and is full of murder, violence, incest and a whole slew of other things that are inappropriate for young eyes.

I just wanted to jump in here and say that just because you think the Bible is "more subtle" about murder, violence and incest than the Satanist Bible, that doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't have a different judgment about that.  We are now no longer talking about the Constitutionality of handing out religious paraphernalia in a public school, but which kinds are OK for little eyes and when they might be able to handle the material.  For me, the answer is it shouldn't be there at all, that schools have authority roles in children's lives and they are not able to differentiate between a school giving them a free Bible as a little present, do with it what you will, and a school handing them a Bible and believing that it's a truthful document. 

Would you have a problem with local businesses standing in the lobby of your kid's school handing out advertising information to them?

I don't know if giving a Bible to a kid in school "morphs" their beliefs or not.

I do know that I am uncomfortable with their being ANY pretext to give out religious material in a public school.  I do think it crosses the line.

I also think it is unnecessary.

The Snapple machine in the lunchroom is not the same as a Snapple representative handing out coupons in the lobby.  I don't think schools, which have our kids as captive audiences, should be used by those who wish to grab them en masse, whether it's for profit or for religious purposes.

I think there is a difference in learning about religion such as "Christians believe Christ was God's son and they follow what they believe are his teachings in the New Testament of the Bible", which is not objectionable, and "here is the Bible, and it is the word of God".  Gideons giving out Bibles are doing the latter, and not the former.

And it is unnecessary to have any such thing going on in a public school.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

No it doesn't unless the refuse to. They gave put the Bibles because they where given out by a group for free. They never refused to hand out other reliougs books but none where ever offered to the school.

I have two questions for you.

How would you feel about your kids at a public school being given religious materials that were not in line with your beliefs?

How would you feel about local merchants coming to school and distributing advertising in the lobby?  How about Planned Parenthood?

i would be fine with that because i am going to let my children choose what they want to believe in. I am in no way going to force my beliefs on them. it is a choice they have to make on their own.

what kind of merchants? 

and i am fine with some one coming in and talking about sex, abstinence, and forms of birth control. for that matter my school had this done in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. and again in high school if you took the childhood development class. 

I let my children choose what to believe in as well.  That is irrelevant to the topic at hand.  The question isn't, what do I tell them at home, but what does a public school tell them when they are there?

I don't think that schools, which hold a captive audience who are comprised of easily molded children, should be used by merchants or religious groups of any kind to advertise their "goods", whether that's snacks, toys, or beliefs.

LiliMama18
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh no, lol I was making a joke in poor taste. I'm not rasta, but their a sect of Christianity, and they believe an Ethiopian king was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ. They also have a different translation of the bible (who doesn't) - they follow a very strict purified diet, don't cut their hair, and have a doctrine of simplicity and peace.
However, the stereotype is that they just sit around and smoke weed all day and listen to Bob marley, hence my response. I am all for weed and bob marley in copious amounts ;) jk

Anyway I was semi raised catholic (went to Ccd and made all sacraments, but my family was not religious). I've spent time as a Wiccan, Quaker, and agnostic. I "became Christian" at a non denomenational Christian church about a year ago and it was at that church that I read the bible for the first time. However, they spent more time talking about how everyone else, particularly Catholics have it wrong, then they did talking about their own beliefs, which led me to study the bible alongside the catholic catechism, and now I've come full circle back to catholicsm.
Probably more of an explanation than you wanted, but as I'm sure you can tell- I am fascinated by learning about other religions and I would encourage my daughter (even though she's little now) to learn and study any religion out there.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting LiliMama18:

I wish there were more Rastas in the world :/

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So screw the faiths of kids who practice non Abrahic religions? Not a chance in your hell is my childs school going to teach his class about Islam, and Judaism, Christianity as if they are only "legitimate" religions. I would raise my own bit of hell over that slap in the face to all religions outside the mainstream.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting morrigan914:

Would you he equally okay with me donating 'Practical Satanism' to your childrens school for the teachers to hand out?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I don't have a problem with it.  The school is not giving them out...no public dollars have been spent on them....and here's the kicker....handing out a Bible does not establish a CHURCH..which is what the first amendment is ACTUALLY about.

Is it going to cause the school to establish a church the kids are required to go to?  If not...the answer is send away...your first amendment rights are just as valid as mine.

I believe we should be teaching a religion class in at least the high school level...kids need to have a basic knowledge and a basic respect for the legitimate faiths in the world. 

I'm in Liberal Cali and my son learned about a wide variety of religions in Social Studies when he was in middle school.

No one decides what is legit...numbers do.  You obviously can't cover every faith so you focus on the primary ones.  Statistically the top 3 by overwhelming numbers are Christianity, Islam and Hinduism....I would probably add the next 4 or 5....I would then ask my students for short reports on at least 1 other religion...reports to be shared with the class.  You could easily add more by teaching them along with something else they go with...as an example...Tribal religions could go with history.  If there are families of the small statistical religions..bring someone in to share with the kids.

I think it is great your son learned about a variety of religions.  Religions can have similarities and it is these similarities that can give us the start of tolerance of faith different than our own.

I didn't realize Hinduism was an Abrahamic religion....  Beyond that, maybe you should google some statistics on the religions of the world.  My suggestion covered many that are not Abrahamic.  I even suggested how even more could be covered...a school could have just 1 family of a faith not in the curriculum and still bring it in..just by having someone share.  Depending on how it is done 20 or more could be covered......................so either you can't read or you are in such a fizz over my use of the word legitimate to describe statistical numbers that you didn't even read/comprehend what I have been saying.

I'm sorry.  I don't know a lot about the faith, but I do know there are Christianity has some core similarities.  This is why I think learning of other faiths is a good thing...it gives us a chance to learn what makes us alike...gives us a common bond...it is much easier to have tolerant if not good relationships when there is a common bond.

EDITED...uh oh..my bad.  You said Rasta....for some reason my brain translated Zoroastrianism...  I apologize.  I don't know anything about your faith..at least not yet...if you have a site to recommend I will have a look.  I didn't delete or change my answer because I feel like the principal behind it is important.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Yes braintrust, i realize I skipped over Hinduism and assumed she was naming the big three - YOU have still missed the point of my response.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Umm idk why u keep calling me sweetie, pop tart, but go re read the religions the poster you quoted named. Then read your response. Do it slowly, you'll get it.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The point apparently zoomed right over your head.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Psssst...Hinduism is not an abrahamic religion.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting morrigan914:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM
No, sweetie, it is not. The OT in particular is incredibly violent and full of people offering little girls up to be raped, bloodshed and incest.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting LiliMama18:

Well, in fairness, the satanic bible is a bit crude and probably wouldn't be appropriate for young children, but i personally wouldn't have a problem with it being read/available at the high school level.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I am aware of what it is, sweetie, and I am also aware most Christians are NOT and would not allow their children to have one.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Have you ever read the satanic bible? It has nothing to do with the Christian concept of Satan or the devil.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I did not say anything is scary about it, I just do not believe for a second that you would be okay with your schoollibrary even HAVING a copy, much less handing them out to kids.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What is so scary about the satanic bible?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I agree she is lying her ass off saying she would be hunkey dorey with her kids' school distributing the Satanic Bible.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Why do you think she is a liar?   If you are comfortable with your faith, you have nothing to fear from your child reading about others.

Quoting mikiemom:

yea, right lol I call liar liar liar pants on fire on that one.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Sure, why not?   

Quoting mikiemom:

Afraid - no innapropriate for school yes. If I want my child reading the bible, I will provide him with one. He is welcome to read the bible, the school is not welcome to push their agenda onto my child.

I find the utter lack of tolerance for other religions among american christians to be disgusting and apalling, would you be ok with your child being sent home with a quran, torra, satanic bible?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Just curious but why are so many afraid of students being allowed to receive a free bible? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM
ALL or NONE is the point that keeps escaping you. Yes, I skimmed your post and assumed you were hitting the Big 3 but the overall POINT is that there is no time to teach ALL, nor would resources be available to teach them all in an unbiased manner, so NONE belong.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting morrigan914:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN