Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Gets 99 Years in Prision for Beating and Gluing Daughter's hands to Wall

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
  • 32 Replies

GOOD!

Texas Mom Who Glued Daughter's Hands to Wall Gets 99 Years in Prison

Oct. 12, 2012

The Texas mom who beat her 2-year-old daughter and glued her hands to a wall was sentenced today to 99 years in prison. Judge Larry Mitchell gave the life sentence to a tearful Elizabeth Escalona, 23, because "you savagely beat your child to the edge of death."

The sentence came down after five days of painful testimony in the case, as prosecutors showed pictures of the beaten toddler to Escalona and asked her if she was a "monster."

"A monster did this," prosecutor Eren Price told Escalona, according to ABC News affiliate WFAA..

Escalona, who had pleaded guilty in July, nodded and replied, "Yes."

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, breaks down as she responds to a line of questions in the sentencing phase of her trial, Oct. 11, 2012, in Dallas.

The attack on the child came after Escalona became frustrated with potty training. Testimony from the girl's siblings revealed that Escalona kicked the girl in the stomach and hit her with a milk jug before gluing her hands to the wall. The girl was hospitalized in a coma from the beating and some skin had been torn off her hands, doctors testified.

The mother of three pleaded for leniency during her sentencing hearing, begging the judge to consider that she had been sexually abused as a child. But cross-examination by the prosecutors pointed out that Escalona was a consistently abusive mother who did drugs and beat her children.

Escalona admitted to using drugs since the age of 13, smoking marijuana while she was pregnant, and doing drugs and drinking while out on bond for a prior felony charge.

The prosecution projected the words "LIAR" and "MONSTER" on a screen above Escalona's head during cross-examination.

Escalona said she did not clearly remember the beating she gave to her daughter in 2011 that left the toddler hospitalized. She could not recall where she got glue and had no idea why she glued her child's hands to the wall.

Escalona's family cried out as Mitchell announced the sentence, later hanging their heads in their laps and crying, according to the Dallas Morning News. Escalona showed little emotion.

Escalona will be eligible for parole in 30 years. Her children are now in the custody of the state.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM

wow

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I know right?! Over POTTY TRAINING!!!

Quoting survivorinohio:

wow

Rach7224
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is just sick, that poor baby!

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this

some people should not be parents.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

I know right?! Over POTTY TRAINING!!!

Quoting survivorinohio:

wow

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

DylansMommyXo
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Those poor poor babies. I hope they get put in good homes with loving families. My heart goes out to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Dumb bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM

She shouldn't even be eligible for parole!

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Sorry, I am NOT buying this story!!! At trial when she testified in Texas the prosecution had LIAR and MONSTER above her head, I am not buying the story, and if this did indeed happen,(which I doubt) she needs to go for a mistrial I don't like the story with the child, I don't believe signs were above her during  the trial. This is from  blog, with a  link to a new source to give it legitimacy. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Her attorney wanted probation or a sentence under ten years.  I thought that was a stretch.  She talked about wanting to be reunited with her children someday and taking parenting classes and getting counseling.  The DA offered her a plea deal of 45 years and apparently she severely underestimated the seriousness of her crimes and therefore, refused.  The additional damning  evidence they uncovered after the rejection of the plea deal made even the DA change their minds. 

A violent teenager, gang member and habitual liar makes her an unfit parent to begin with.  Her blaming `stress' for abusing, neglecting and brutally beating a 2 yr old is desperate, sad and NOT taking responsibility for her vile actions.  Being under stress does not justify what she has done.  The fact that she committed this unforgivable crime while pregnant with yet another child makes it all the worse.  I am having a lot of difficulty with feeling sympathyfor this mother.  She lied to investigators throughout the duration of this case about everything from past crimes to her drug use.  She wanted the sympathy for herself because of the alleged abuse that she suffered as a child.  She tried to place all the blame on someone else for her actions.  You would think that she'd want more, better and a loving home for her own children. 

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Sorry, I am NOT buying this story!!! At trial when she testified in Texas the prosecution had LIAR and MONSTER above her head, I am not buying the story, and if this did indeed happen,(which I doubt) she needs to go for a mistrial I don't like the story with the child, I don't believe signs were above her during  the trial. This is from  blog, with a  link to a new source to give it legitimacy. 

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-glued-toddlers-hands-she-monster-071501721.html;_ylt=A2KLOzGo6HhQxjAALk5DDex_

This was before the verdict, but it shows photos of the words over her head. I think it's real. I mean, I know yahoo is. Lol :) hope the link works. :)

As for the lil girl, wow. I really don't have words. Can you even imagined how scared she was? :*(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)