Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Gets 99 Years in Prision for Beating and Gluing Daughter's hands to Wall

Posted by   + Show Post

GOOD!

Texas Mom Who Glued Daughter's Hands to Wall Gets 99 Years in Prison

Oct. 12, 2012

The Texas mom who beat her 2-year-old daughter and glued her hands to a wall was sentenced today to 99 years in prison. Judge Larry Mitchell gave the life sentence to a tearful Elizabeth Escalona, 23, because "you savagely beat your child to the edge of death."

The sentence came down after five days of painful testimony in the case, as prosecutors showed pictures of the beaten toddler to Escalona and asked her if she was a "monster."

"A monster did this," prosecutor Eren Price told Escalona, according to ABC News affiliate WFAA..

Escalona, who had pleaded guilty in July, nodded and replied, "Yes."

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, breaks down as she responds to a line of questions in the sentencing phase of her trial, Oct. 11, 2012, in Dallas.

The attack on the child came after Escalona became frustrated with potty training. Testimony from the girl's siblings revealed that Escalona kicked the girl in the stomach and hit her with a milk jug before gluing her hands to the wall. The girl was hospitalized in a coma from the beating and some skin had been torn off her hands, doctors testified.

The mother of three pleaded for leniency during her sentencing hearing, begging the judge to consider that she had been sexually abused as a child. But cross-examination by the prosecutors pointed out that Escalona was a consistently abusive mother who did drugs and beat her children.

Escalona admitted to using drugs since the age of 13, smoking marijuana while she was pregnant, and doing drugs and drinking while out on bond for a prior felony charge.

The prosecution projected the words "LIAR" and "MONSTER" on a screen above Escalona's head during cross-examination.

Escalona said she did not clearly remember the beating she gave to her daughter in 2011 that left the toddler hospitalized. She could not recall where she got glue and had no idea why she glued her child's hands to the wall.

Escalona's family cried out as Mitchell announced the sentence, later hanging their heads in their laps and crying, according to the Dallas Morning News. Escalona showed little emotion.

Escalona will be eligible for parole in 30 years. Her children are now in the custody of the state.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Dang, sorry, guess you have to copy and paste. :( sorry, I don't know how to post a link. *blushes*
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Not. Long. Enough.

If she's in a cell with her hands glued to a wall and gets beatings, I might rescind how I feel about the length of time.

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I can't link with Mozilla but I actually read about this story on NBC.com, which is one of my subscriptions on FB.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Sorry, I am NOT buying this story!!! At trial when she testified in Texas the prosecution had LIAR and MONSTER above her head, I am not buying the story, and if this did indeed happen,(which I doubt) she needs to go for a mistrial I don't like the story with the child, I don't believe signs were above her during  the trial. This is from  blog, with a  link to a new source to give it legitimacy. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Not. Long. Enough.

If she's in a cell with her hands glued to a wall and gets beatings, I might rescind how I feel about the length of time.

yup

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM
Amen sister amen

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Not. Long. Enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:37 AM
That's the sad part of being hooked on drugs. Some can turn you in to a monster. I'm pleased with the sentence though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I do sincerely hope that all the children are placed together.  If not, the state better make contact between them mandatory (even if they're adopted into separate homes).

As for this waste of oxygen, I hope the inmates rip her to shreds.  Being abused as a child does not give her a free pass to torture her children and get away with it.  It's called get therapy and make things better for your children and yourself, not repeat the cycle.

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I just read on CNN the grandmother has custody of all 5 children including the 2yrs old (now 3).

Quoting randi1978:

I do sincerely hope that all the children are placed together.  If not, the state better make contact between them mandatory (even if they're adopted into separate homes).

As for this waste of oxygen, I hope the inmates rip her to shreds.  Being abused as a child does not give her a free pass to torture her children and get away with it.  It's called get therapy and make things better for your children and yourself, not repeat the cycle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marluvspooh
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Scars won't be gone in 30 years

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Normally I'd support keeping the children in the family, but if that woman was truly abused, her family would be the LAST ones I'd consider as placement.  I give it a year before the grandmother fucks up or decides she can't handle them all and they get split up all over.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I just read on CNN the grandmother has custody of all 5 children including the 2yrs old (now 3).

Quoting randi1978:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured