Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Industry Sues Over Sugary-Drinks Crackdown

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM
  • 91 Replies
2 moms liked this

The American Beverage Association and others sued the city Friday

Friday, Oct 12, 2012  |  Updated 4:53 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Industry Sues Over Sugary-Drinks Crackdown
advertisement

Soft-drink makers, restaurateurs and other businesses are suing to block the city's move to end the sale of super-sized, sugary drinks in many eateries.

The American Beverage Association and others sued the city Friday. City officials had no immediate response.

The city Board of Health approved the unprecedented regulation last month. It would stop restaurants, cafeterias and concession stands from selling soda and other high-calorie drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces.

The rule is set to take effect in March.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg calls it a reasonable, promising way to curb obesity.

The lawsuit says the unelected health board shouldn't be telling people how much soda to drink. The suit also says the rule "burdens consumers and unfairly harms small businesses."

source

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for them.
candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I am surprised it took them so long

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Crackdown on cigarettes...

Quoting candlegal:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM
4 moms liked this

I am glad they sued.  My issue was never how it affected consumers but that it was an intrusion into businesses, telling them how much and how they can sell perfectly legal items. 

WickdlySweet
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I don't understand it, can't someone just buy 2 16oz sodas if they want?? I'm not a soda drinker myself but I feel it's taking away a person's choice about their own health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charlene4
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM

People should be allowed to drink as much soda as they want.  

nysa76
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

If people want to consume that much soda, they will whether it is in one container or two.  People know it is bad for their health.  Some people care.  Some don't.  I, personally, like to buy the biggest container (since it's usually cheaper than several smaller ones) and split it up between my kids on the rare occasion I can afford that kind of treat.

Stop all the senseless regulations that do little to nothing positive for anyone.  Aren't there real issues to work on?  This will not curb obesity.  Just one more needless regulation.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Although I do believe cutting back on sugar intake can be a good thing, I think there are way bigger issues to be concerned with.  I think the industry is right in filing suit.  Big Tobacco is still allowed to put products on the shelf.  And, they are killing people left and right.  If Government wants to place bans on sugar, then the same ban should be placed on tobacco.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see how they came to the conclusion that the regulation will curb obesity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

They have been doing that for years.   They don't want you to quit, they would lose too many taxes.  Obama added another tax to cigarettes in 2009.

source

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Crackdown on cigarettes...

Quoting candlegal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)