Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are food allergies a disability?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

There was a show on the cooking channel talking about food allergies.  It mentioned how some schools treated food allergies as a disability and had special staff members to work with those that have food allergies. So, do you think there are any cases where allergy should be treated as a disability? Does it matter what the allergy is or how severe it is? 

One definition of disability.

A physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM

My brother has always been treated like he was disabled because of his severe allergies.  I dunno though

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I think a disability is whatever a parent/medical professional says that it is. Blame the litigious nature of our society. What disability trumps another? Just like with the disabled placards...I doubt schools are going to fight these guidelines/parameters.

We might all disagree but that's the way our system is set up- always guarding against the potential lawsuit. It seems that common sense is generally ignored.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Well they ARE covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act so in a sense I guess they are!

Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

No, they should not be.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
For elementary aged children, 11 and younger, I see the practicality in having a staff member available to help with lunch or any in class party where food is served, etc, say the school nurse or lunch personnel.

After that, hopefully a child's parents have stressed the importance and instilled the responsibility into the child with the allergy, and the child can monitor the food intake themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM
I think it depends on the severity of the allergy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM
My son has a peanut allergy, there have been times when it has limited his activity and special people at school were made available for him and other students with allergies

By a technicality I would say yes

But it's nothing really for my son..for others with severe allergies, it may be

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have a severe allergy, it can kill you. You have to be careful, take certain steps normal people without the severe allergy don't even THNK about. If an allergy is severe enough to kill you, I say it is a disability.

needabreak8
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I am not sure if all food allergies or intolerances are considered a disability ..I guess it depends on how severe the reaction is.. I have celiac disease and from what I under stand it is considered a disability. though i do not collect disability or PA .. but being exposed to even a tiny bit if gluten is very debilitating for me..it  can cause me to be extremely sick for 10 days to 2 weeks.. I am a sahm but it would be difficult to work outside the home with this.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:59 AM

No! They are an inconvenience to the inflected and those around them. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN