Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MY FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL IS BEING DENIED!

Don't let the government fool you!  Not all birth control methods are considered equal.  This year since there is a "war on woman" the policy needs to change.  My health insurance will not pay for my Natural Family Planning.  They tell me because it is coded educational.  When you take birth control, have an IUD or the patch, doesn't the doctor educate you on the product?  Doing Natural Family Planning has the same result of birth control pills and it should be covered.  My religious liberty comes into to play.  I am being discriminated against!  All forms of birth control should be covered or none at all!  How many Natural Family Planning families are out there that have this same problem?  Would love to hear from you. 

Re-editing do to some comments.  Natural Family Planning - the Creighton method this is how it works.  It doesn't tell you when your period ends (how silly).  It tells you when the best days are to conceived if you want a baby and the days not to have sex if you don't want a baby.  You sit down with a nurse and they give you instructions on the method.  By using this method, I found out that I had fertility problems.  Which this methods help to diagnose. I have been diagnosed with ovarian dysfunction.

I simplified the method too much.  This is complicated and can't be done on an app!  The nurse teaches you how to identify your sensation after you wipe.  the charting has about 10 different ways you can chart.  They use soft - s for sensation, o- obersvation - ft - for finger test.  You can have peak type mucus or non-peak type mucus.  If you have mucus you are fertile.  The charting is harder for people with abnormal cycles and for menapausal women.  Sometimes you can't read your observations correctly. It is not as easy as some of you are trying to make it out to be.

People keep posting they haven't ever had to pay.  You do, you just don't know about it.  You have to have your employer buy a more expensive plan.  I am quoting my insurance company. As far as insurance goes, yes depending on your insurance sometimes it is covered.  Mine used to be. The basic first tier insurance that your company chooses to save money only covers pills, IUD, patches. If you want this kind of coverage, your company has to pay a higher premium and go to the next tier.  This is what I am saying that is unfair.  All forms of birth control should be on the basic first tier and covered.

I am speaking to politicans about this and tyring to see how many women are having this problem.  In the St. Louis area there are 30% of women.  The other 70% that are covered should not have to pay a higher premium for this either. I am doing this as research.  The NFP office is trying to change the laws on this. The government assigns the Revenue billing code.  That code is what is preventing my coverage.  I have no control on that code and neither do the doctors.

This site I thought, was for other moms to help one another.  Not bash them.  I don't get the belittling.  Just because I think something you wrote is dumb and you are misinformed I would never come out and say that.

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
blessingsofmany
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kailu1835:

Um, natural family planning doesn't require any medical coverage.  I practiced it religiously for 2 years and kept from getting pregnant.  I used for 3 months before my daughter to keep from getting pregnant before getting some test results back, and then got pregnant the first month we decided to start trying again.

Cigna used to cover mine.  My husband is in the military so we went to Tricare.  They do not cover it because it is considered education.  After the military we have Blue Cross Blue Shield.  They do not cover it because the employer would have to choose the next plan up.  Again, this is what I am saying is unfair.  It should be on the basic level along with the pills etc.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The part in red.

Maybe it is the election? Everyone seems defensive.

Personally, I am having trouble conceiving (excuse the pun) WHY having insurance cover birth control of any kind for women is controversial.

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Re-editing do to some comments. Natural Family Planning - the Creighton method this is how it works. It doesn't tell you when your period ends (how silly). It tells you when the best days are to conceived if you want a baby and the days not to have sex if you don't want a baby. You sit down with a nurse and they give you instructions on the method. By using this method, I found out that I had fertility problems. Which this methods help to diagnose. I have been diagnosed with ovarian dysfunction.

As far as insurance goes, yes depending on your insurance sometimes it is covered. Mine used to be. The basic first tier insurance that your company chooses to save money only covers pills, IUD, patches. If you want this kind of coverage, your company has to pay a higher premium and go to the next tier. This is what I am saying that is unfair. All forms of birth control should be on the basic first tier and covered.

I am speaking to politicans about this and tyring to see how many women are having this problem. In the St. Louis area there are 30% of women. The other 70% should not have to pay a higher premium for this either. I am doing this as research.

This site I thought, was for other moms to help one another. Not bash them. I don't get the belittling. Just because I think something you wrote is dumb and you are misinformed I would never come out and say that.

New World Peace

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Education for all those ailments is covered when you visit your dr and obtain the initial px. You can also often obtain that from of education from your pharmacist or local public hospital community awareness classes. They are generally free.

Diabetes education is usually done in conjuction with an MD, RN, and nutritionist. Most insurances (if not all) will cover the MD and RN part and not the nutritionist part (some will though).  

The education for NFP is covered if done during an office visit. 

Quoting ShadowLark:

Ok, well then yeah, that is WRONG! And diabetics aren't the only ones who need education. What about blood thinners or thyroid meds or anticonvulsants or antipsychotics? ALL require proper education!
Sounds like you just need WAY better insurance!

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Ok.  Gottcha ya.  The service is not covered because it is coded as education.  I would be happy to pay a co-pay.  They will not even cover anything to do a medical coding issue.  They will not pay for me to meet with my nurse for instruction.  They are telling me the only education they will cover is for a diabetic.  Again, the frustration lies that you have to pay a higher premium to get coverage.  This method should be covered just like the pill.

blessingsofmany
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what am I talking about being misinformed.  I have two kids and they are 3 years apart.  This is not the old rhythem method.  Look up information about Dr. Hilgers.  I have used this since I was 40.  My little girl is now 3.  We abstain from intercourse when I am fertile so we don't get pregnant.

DawnPratt23
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Tricare is changing to united health care for veteran and service members in April 2013. I've been informed by my son's autism doctor, it will no longer be covered. I'm not 100% sure, but living in Utah, it wouldn't surprise me. I'm constantly on the phone with Tricare as is.

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting kailu1835:

Um, natural family planning doesn't require any medical coverage.  I practiced it religiously for 2 years and kept from getting pregnant.  I used for 3 months before my daughter to keep from getting pregnant before getting some test results back, and then got pregnant the first month we decided to start trying again.

Cigna used to cover mine.  My husband is in the military so we went to Tricare.  They do not cover it because it is considered education.  After the military we have Blue Cross Blue Shield.  They do not cover it because the employer would have to choose the next plan up.  Again, this is what I am saying is unfair.  It should be on the basic level along with the pills etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TB78
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I haven't heard about nfp before but it sounds like a lot of education would go into because even though I have the free pink pad app on my iPhone I never understood that part of it: the basal body temperature,the mucus lining of the vagina or whatever that was to track for nfp, and the other stuff that another mom said that should be easy if you have a free app. Anyways there are some people who do not have the smartphones that have apps.

Btw I have the paraguard IUD and I had the education from my gynecologist that went with that. I do agree with you OP whatever birth control you choose it should be fully or partly covered by your health insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessingsofmany
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quoting ShadowLark:

That would work!

Quoting rfurlongg:

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Ok.  Gottcha ya.  The service is not covered because it is coded as education.  I would be happy to pay a co-pay.  They will not even cover anything to do a medical coding issue.  They will not pay for me to meet with my nurse for instruction.  They are telling me the only education they will cover is for a diabetic.  Again, the frustration lies that you have to pay a higher premium to get coverage.  This method should be covered just like the pill.

To get the px for the pill you must visit (ethically)your dr once every 12mo for a refillabel px label. This is true of any medication requiring a px.Generally the px for the pill, and most other regular medication, is filled at a well visit. Schedule a well visit and while there ask about NFP. It will be billed as a 'well visit.' 

I will not take the pill because of side effects and religion

DawnPratt23
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you checked out the book by Toni Weschler taking charge of your fertility? It's a great book. It helped me a lot, I have really bad endometrisis and after 10 pregnancies, have 4 beautiful kids.

Quoting blessingsofmany:

This is what am I talking about being misinformed.  I have two kids and they are 3 years apart.  This is not the old rhythem method.  Look up information about Dr. Hilgers.  I have used this since I was 40.  My little girl is now 3.  We abstain from intercourse when I am fertile so we don't get pregnant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Some places definitely offer full classes. Ive seen it with my own eyes lol

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting AlekD:

Some hospitals and other health centers offer nfp classes which can be very helpful in order to make sure you have as accurate of information as possible so that the method will be as effective as possible. Maybe she means the cost of the classes aren't covered.

That sucks if its true. Nfp is a great option for birth control. 100 percent natural, as effective as pumping your body full of chemicles or putting a barrier between you and your partner, and respects the dignity of womanhood and fertility.

The cost of meeting with the nurse is not covered.  Which is what you are referring to as a class.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM
You're not listening. You don't take the pill, you get the education about nfp during the visit where the "option" of the pill is presented. Doesn't matter that you'll NEVER use that option. Just that it was mentioned.

Quoting blessingsofmany:

Quoting ShadowLark:

That would work!

Quoting rfurlongg:

Quoting blessingsofmany:

To get the px for the pill you must visit (ethically)your dr once every 12mo for a refillabel px label. This is true of any medication requiring a px.Generally the px for the pill, and most other regular medication, is filled at a well visit. Schedule a well visit and while there ask about NFP. It will be billed as a 'well visit.' 

I will not take the pill because of side effects and religion

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured