Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dump the Patriarchy-Join a Religion which Has Female Dieties

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:32 AM
  • 219 Replies
3 moms liked this

For hundreds of thousands of years, religions with both male and female dieties ruled the earth.  Only in the last 2,000 years has God become only male, and that change has also brought a great decline in the status of women.  Buck that trend and consider joining one of the religions with female dieties-Wicca, Druidism, Asatru, some African and Native American religions and many others.

I am a member of a Wiccan group called Recovering and Reclaiming, a spiritual group helping women fight patriarchy and I love it.!!!!!

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:05 AM
3 moms liked this
I was Wiccan before converting to Catholicism a year or so ago. Catholics don't believe that God is a man, but a diety that is genderless. He is referred to as He out of grammatical correctness....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:12 AM
4 moms liked this
Wow...and here I was just telling someone that most Pagans didn't try to convert others because it was rude and disrespectful. Everyone has their path to walk and if Paganism is right for that person, they'll find their way to it. Same with any other religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Quatrekins
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think a main factor in choosing one's religion should be the gender of the dieties. And the Jewish faith has been around for more than 2,000 years, so your second sentence is false, and I'm sure there are/were plenty of other "male only" religions, just as I'm sure there are/were "female only" religions.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Uh, sorry but Catholicism IS a patriarchal religion.

Quoting AlekD:

I was Wiccan before converting to Catholicism a year or so ago. Catholics don't believe that God is a man, but a diety that is genderless. He is referred to as He out of grammatical correctness....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Lotsa new members proselytizing.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this
This was kinda my first reaction, too. It was odd to see a Pagan telling people to dump their chosen path.

Quoting punky3175:

Wow...and here I was just telling someone that most Pagans didn't try to convert others because it was rude and disrespectful. Everyone has their path to walk and if Paganism is right for that person, they'll find their way to it. Same with any other religion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Patriarchy can exist even if the deity is not male. The God of the Abrahamic faiths is neither male nor female, actually genderless. What westerners would consider one of the most patriarchal religions, Islam, with the 99 names of Allah, many of them are female.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM
6 moms liked this
Glad you like your group. you are the first Wiccan missionary I have ever come across.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TB78
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I have studied Wicca & Celtic Wisdom, but am still undecided even though I am starting to like the Celtic Christian aspect and I have renounced most of what the bible says. I am still on my path to enlightenment. Is this group on cm and would they accept all different paths of religion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm good where I am.  Thank you though :)

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)