Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lets begin this now, shall we?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where you live, do you plan on running in to any issues this upcoming Holiday season when it comes to not being able to project your religion as you wish, as you feel you should be able to?

A friend, who owns about 4 acres, ran in to some hot water last year when he attempted to place a huge cross made of lights at the front of his property.  Many in town has several reasons for complaining.  Some did not appreciate how bright it was while others found it offensive.

What about kiddos in school?  Will your area hold a Christmas concert, play or otherwise?  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I have to say, I love the responses.

It is truly nice to hear what every one does and that, so far, no one perceives any issues.

Why can't it be like this for every one?  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM

We only have 1 church in this town. It's non-denominational....which I don't get. It's more of a social scene.

I live on 10 acres in the woods on a dead-end road, so I'm sure if I put anything up, nobody would know. Which is why I don't decorate for any holidays (outside).

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I think the local highschool and some college does a christmas concert, I live in an area that believes in the old Christian ways. It is crazy, so that stuff gets to go out as much as they want really. 

School, I think they do a christmas play or something. 

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM
We live in a relatively large urban area. I am certain that anything anyone celebrates will probably be celebrated somewhere here. We celebrate Christmas, so it is easy for us. Christmas is main stream so it is everywhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM

lol @ the war on Christmas.

:)

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM
I live in a smallish city, about 50 000, and it is very multicultural. We've had a large immigrant influx in the last decade or so, people from China, Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, many African countries, so a wide range of ethnicities and religions/belief systems. For the most part there's no issues with people putting up religious displays, the city itself doesn't, but they do more secular displays and lights.

My kids school is very multicultural, and they do a winter concert. There is no religion involved at all, but they do songs from many cultures, including Native.

There are the people who bitch, from both sides, but they're the vocal minority.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mortiferouslatt
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I doubt there will be issues. My son goes to a Christian pre-k and they do a "costume parade" for Halloween I'm sure they will do something for Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My kid's elementary school has "make a memory day" that is basically a Christmas party without saying so.  It's cute and we participate easily without having to do the Christian thing.  They have a "Winter concert" that is completely secular.  

My girls are being raised Muslim so no Santa for them but I get them a bunch of stuff for "Mama's holiday" and we visit Grandma's house on Christmas to "be nice to Grandma for the Christian Holiday."

Actually Eid al Adha is just two weeks away, the feast of celebrating Abraham's obedience to God.  The Hajj will be around Oct 24 through 29th, and the Eid is supposed to be on the 25th (it may be a day earlier or later.)  This is a great holiday for the kids, they will get new clothes, presents and money and too much candy.  :)  And we will go to the holiday service at the Mosque.

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

In a 6 block area there is 8 churches and 8 different mangers, church signs reading Jesus is the reason for the season. It doesn't bother me.

I do the rudolph, frosty, christmas lights festivities. We do not incorporate any religion into it, since there is NONE involved. We do shelf on the elf. 

My kids never bought into the Santa Claus crapola. The kids have a winter musical. And no Christmas parties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)