Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lets begin this now, shall we?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where you live, do you plan on running in to any issues this upcoming Holiday season when it comes to not being able to project your religion as you wish, as you feel you should be able to?

A friend, who owns about 4 acres, ran in to some hot water last year when he attempted to place a huge cross made of lights at the front of his property.  Many in town has several reasons for complaining.  Some did not appreciate how bright it was while others found it offensive.

What about kiddos in school?  Will your area hold a Christmas concert, play or otherwise?  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM

There is absolutely no worry on my part that my religion will be un or under represented at Christmas time.

Crosses will be in abundance if they are properly zoned and there is no reason for them to be told to be taken down.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I love Elf on the Shelf!

I am also a proud purveyor of the fat man :) Dunno how long they'll buy it.

Quoting _Kissy_:

In a 6 block area there is 8 churches and 8 different managers, church signs reading Jesus is the reason for the season. It doesn't bother me.

I do the rudolph, frosty, christmas lights festivities. We do not incorporate any religion into it, since there is NONE involved. We do shelf on the elf. 

My kids never bought into the Santa Claus crapola. The kids have a winter musical. And no Christmas parties.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Im buying new decorations for my tree this year, unless I decide to put it in the family room. I might even decorate outside.... If I can dig my snow covered Halloween decorations up.

As far as school and community activities, we're flexible people. We enjoy whatever we're invited to, because its the people we're going to spend time with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM
I had never heard of this "Elf on the Shelf" thing until joining Pinterest.... I think it's kinda creepy! Lol I might try it, but I don't know where to get an Elf, or when to start it.

... But my kids already know the truth about Santa so it kinda defeats the purpose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I may think that it being too bright is an issue, but people who are offended by something on someone's property that is a religious symbol need to get the heck over it.

Our school does have a Christmas program. 

lga1965
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM

No problems here. We decorate and we celebrate Christmas. I just put a wreath on my front door.

Nobody goes nuts about it. We just decorate. Lights, little yard displays, Santas,etc.I don't see why someone would put up a huge lighted cross on their property, actually, unless he is trying to ensure that he will be let in the "Pearly Gates" when he kicks the bucket!

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I am moving to texas before Yule. My son will be homeschooled there, so I have no idea about the school stuff.

However, my home was vandalized the last time I was there, due to having a pentacle in the window and a holly leaf attached to it. So, yeah.. I am not going to have there. Then again, there was nothing keeping the civilians away from my house the first time. This time, we will live within the gates of the post.. may be different. I have no plans of leaving the post unless I absolutely have to or when we move.. or to visit a few friends

cammibear
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:42 PM
No issues here.

We will enjoy all the holiday festivities our town has to offer. I love that we live in a college town. There are tons of things to do from now til Christmas.

Our church has a big Thanksgiving dinner, and then we will have our Christmas cantata sometime in December. We might have a few Christmas parties to go to.

I Homeschool so no school play. We have a magnetic Advent Calendar that my kids have outgrown, so in each of the days of December (little boxes you open with a magnet that's part of the nativity scene) I add a slip of paper with something special we do every day of the month. It might be baking cookies for the neighbors, reading Christmas poems while sipping salted caramel hot chocolate, or something like driving around looking at Christmas lights while singing Christmas carols, or visiting a nursing home with Christmas cards. My family always made the holidays memorable, so I try to do the same thing with my kids.

On Christmas Eve, we will head home and spend time with family and friends. I can't wait!!!

Did I mention I LOVE this time of year. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Eid is on the 26th this year, insha'Allah. :-)

Quoting stacymomof2:

My kid's elementary school has "make a memory day" that is basically a Christmas party without saying so.  It's cute and we participate easily without having to do the Christian thing.  They have a "Winter concert" that is completely secular.  

My girls are being raised Muslim so no Santa for them but I get them a bunch of stuff for "Mama's holiday" and we visit Grandma's house on Christmas to "be nice to Grandma for the Christian Holiday."

Actually Eid al Adha is just two weeks away, the feast of celebrating Abraham's obedience to God.  The Hajj will be around Oct 24 through 29th, and the Eid is supposed to be on the 25th (it may be a day earlier or later.)  This is a great holiday for the kids, they will get new clothes, presents and money and too much candy.  :)  And we will go to the holiday service at the Mosque.

AMom29
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Oh, god.  Here we go already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN