Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lets begin this now, shall we?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where you live, do you plan on running in to any issues this upcoming Holiday season when it comes to not being able to project your religion as you wish, as you feel you should be able to?

A friend, who owns about 4 acres, ran in to some hot water last year when he attempted to place a huge cross made of lights at the front of his property.  Many in town has several reasons for complaining.  Some did not appreciate how bright it was while others found it offensive.

What about kiddos in school?  Will your area hold a Christmas concert, play or otherwise?  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
AMom29
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

I had never heard of this "Elf on the Shelf" thing until joining Pinterest.... I think it's kinda creepy! Lol I might try it, but I don't know where to get an Elf, or when to start it.

... But my kids already know the truth about Santa so it kinda defeats the purpose.

I know in the past Target has sold them, along with a storybook about the elf.

AleaKat
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM
We do a mix of Christmas and Chanukah but we aren't "religious" at all. We do it mostly as a heritage thing to educate the kids about differences and acceptance .
We have a White Christmas tree with Chanukah colors as s compromise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMom29
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM

No issues here.  I usually put a single string of lights on the house because I like the way it looks in the snow.  Clear or blue -- I don't do the colored ones because it looks TOO Christmas-y for me.

Don't celebrate Christmas at all.  My oldest gets a little confused, but she has Autism and has a hard enough time comprehending the tangible world, let alone introducing an intangible one.  She understands that we don't celebrate, but she was so obsessed with a Christmas tree last year that her Grandmother begged for me to let her buy one when they went on clearance, so she has this small metal tree with bells on it.

No issues with the school for the most part.  They aren't allowed to have specific holiday parties (they do fall and winter parties), but the BS is usually incorporated somehow into the curriculum.  I hate it, but what can I do?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Northern Virginia, the area is very diverse. I work for the Federal govt, there will be several Holiday parties. I have many different religous folks working for me, we have celebrations that are inclusive not exclusive.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Lol our neighborhood has a contest, we have one house that has a beautiful manger scene, right next to a house that has a giant Menorah on the lawn, it's fantastic. My decorations are very yule oriented, but my husband the redneck gets involved so there are lots and lots of lights lol

Quoting LauraKW:

Our neighborhood HOA puts up evergreen garland and red bows on the fence that runs along the front of the addition (or edition? I'm really hungover). Most neighbors put up Christmas decorations but mostly holidayish, not religious. The schools have winter parties. The churches, mosques, synagogues - everyone does their own thing or nothing. I love this area.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM

All there is in my town is Christian or atheist. The same with the other town that makes up the school district. They talk some about Christmas in school but also talked about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM

elf on the shelf is a book, my granddaughter goes nuts about it lol,

Quoting wickedfiress:

I had never heard of this "Elf on the Shelf" thing until joining Pinterest.... I think it's kinda creepy! Lol I might try it, but I don't know where to get an Elf, or when to start it.

... But my kids already know the truth about Santa so it kinda defeats the purpose.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

The only issues I ever see about celebrating this holiday is here on CM and in the what...maybe FOUR articles a season about some bozo being obnoxious. Its a great debate topic, but the reality is that most people are considerate of everyone else and enjoy the spirit of giving and love. Those who don't are usually found behind drawn shades pounding away at the keys on their computers! :)

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I don;t do tacky decorations so no, I do not think I'll run into any problems LOL. When people are "in your face" tacky then they better be prepared for the flack.

And I have no problem with a general greeting of Happy Holiday! even though I personally celebrate Christmas.

I have to admit however how refreshing it is to wish fellow parents and teachers a "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" at my child's school. And I LOVE the Christmas paegant they put on. It brings tears of joy to my eyes- the kids do an awesome job! I feel so relaxed having this opportunity during this Christmas season. But then again, my child goes to a Catholic school.

Now my public school kids- I am respectful and stick to my Happy Holiday! with an occasional slip of Merry Christmas (it's difficult sometimes to switch back and forth between schools). But, I try very hard to be respectful. I recognize that just because it is my holiday, it is not nessarily someone eles's.

fmchavez
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Christmas is going to be annoying this year like every year. We celebrate the Winter Solstice and I don't expect to have any issues with decorations (basically just wintery things). 

I just get annoyed by Christmas. That's mostly my mother's fault because she over does every year and has over done it for as long as I can remember. Being a minister's daughter I had plenty of Christmas crap going on during Advent (like our huge Christmas play that I had to be in) and then my mother basically took a Christmas decor cannon and shot the house several times. I'm so over Christmas. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)