Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's a Gay Plot!

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Pam
  • 8 Replies

Hard right group attacks mixing in school cafeteria

It's a gay plot, says the American Family Association's Bryan Fischer

The culture wars don’t take a lunch break.

A decade ago the Southern Poverty Law Center (a Salon content partner) launched “Mix It Up” to get kids to spend time with classmates of different backgrounds. Since chow time is arguably the most segregated part of the day, on October 30, the SPLC encourages students to “move out of their comfort zones and connect with someone new over lunch.” It says that almost 2,500 schools have agreed to “Mix It Up at Lunch.”

You might never of heard of Mix It Up but for the ultra-conservative American Family Association’s Bryan Fischer who sees in it what he seems to see in everything, (Yes!) a stealth gay plot. The New York Times reported:

Although the suggested activities for Mix It Up at Lunch Day do not expressly address gay and lesbian students, the law center itself promotes equal treatment for gays and lesbians and that philosophy then informs the school program, Fischer said.

“Anti-bullying legislation is exactly the same,” Mr. Fischer said. “It’s just another thinly veiled attempt to promote the homosexual agenda. No one is in favor of anyone getting bullied for any reason, but these anti-bullying policies become a mechanism for punishing Christian students who believe that homosexual behavior is not something that should be normalized.”

“I was surprised that they completely lied about what Mix It Up Day is,” Maureen Costello, director of the SPLC’s Teaching Tolerance project told the Times. “It was a cynical, fear-mongering tactic.” The Teaching Tolerance website is more succinct: “Describing Mix this way is an out-and-out lie.”

This isn’t the first squabble between the two groups:

The law center recently added the group to its national list of active hate groups, which also includes neo-Nazis, black separatists and holocaust deniers.

Association leaders, in return, have gone on the offensive, calling the law center a hate group for oppressing Christian students and claiming its aim is to shut down groups that oppose homosexuality.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

they are reaching , aren't they?

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Wow....they should consider doing yoga, if they are that good at stretching.

That said, while the idea behind mix it up is honorable, at the same time, kids should be allowed to sit with who they want.  I looked forward to lunch in high school because it meant time with my best friends, and (specially) my boyfriend. A program like mix would have been a nightmare in middle school, considering the bullying that happened was always worse at lunch.  People would throw food at me, or throw away my lunch all the time.  I started hiding out in a shed on campus at lunch, where no one would find me. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM

It truly saddens my heart to continue to realize there are people who think and feel this way.

Any one who can be so ignorant and love God all at the same time truly astound me.

People like this USE God as their excuse.  

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM

lol whatever

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Funny you should bring this up...there are right wing Christian groups who feel yoga and meditation are forcing anti-Chrisitan beliefs onto Christians.  True statement.  There was just an article about here in San Diego about schools which have all their children do yoga or meditation each morning are being threatened with lawsuits by some Christian groups saying its a violation of their religion freedom having their children partcipate.

Quoting katzmeow726:

That said, while the idea behind mix it up is honorable, at the same time, kids should be allowed to sit with who they want.  I looked forward to lunch in high school because it meant time with my best friends, and (specially) my boyfriend. A program like mix would have been a nightmare in middle school, considering the bullying that happened was always worse at lunch.  People would throw food at me, or throw away my lunch all the time.  I started hiding out in a shed on campus at lunch, where no one would find me. 

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

...wow.

I guess my church is very naughty.  We have Christian yoga, and prayer based meditation classes.

We're very naughty at the Methodist church ;-D  

Quoting bellawomen:

Funny you should bring this up...there are right wing Christian groups who feel yoga and meditation are forcing anti-Chrisitan beliefs onto Christians.  True statement.  There was just an article about here in San Diego about schools which have all their children do yoga or meditation each morning are being threatened with lawsuits by some Christian groups saying its a violation of their religion freedom having their children partcipate.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Wooooo....the gays are out to convert your kids and steal their SOULS!!! I wonder why I haven't caught "the gay" yet. Between my plethora of gay friends in high school and the lesbian mixer that is the US military, I should be chowing snatch right now. Or, perhaps sexual orientation is inborn and natural. Hmmm... I am so sick of this bullshit talk about the "gay lifestyle". I especially dont want to hear about it from a bunch of morons who pick and choose what they are going to follow in their own little book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I am wondering about the sheer volume of some of the woefully ignorant far social right at the moment...I mean folks like this, Todd Akin, Rick Santorum, Paul Ryan and ANYONE who supports the ignorant social agenda that comes out of their mouths...

Why, in this day and age, are these antiquated bigoted views getting so much press and held with such weight?

I thought we have moved passed such ignorance. Next we will be dunking "witches" in the river. I bet Sandra Fluke would be first in line.

SMH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN