Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox News poll finds more people are better off now than they were a year ago

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM
  • 100 Replies
2 moms liked this

Fox News poll finds more people are better off now than they were a year ago

Fox News recently conducted a poll which found the majority of people believe they are better off today than they were a year ago.

In specific the question asked was:

"And thinking about your situation today compared to what it was ONE year ago, are you better off than you were a year ago, or not?"

The results were conclusive with 44% saying they were better off, 39% saying they were worse off, and 17% saying there had been no difference.

Included in the poll, as reported by pollingreport.com, was some mildly contradictory data.

When asked:

"Thinking about your situation today compared to what it was four years ago, are you better off than you were four years ago, or not?"

The response was an even split 42% to 42%, however that is a vast improvement from a poll that was taken In July that had the same question produce a result of 37% feeling better off, and 48% claiming to be worse off.

This poll is the second time in as many weeks that Fox News has given subtle praise to President Obama when they reported that the Affordable Care Act reduces the deficit.

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
btamilee
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Interesting....I can honestly say that I personally, know of no one who is better off today than a year ago.  I would say that for the most part......no change, and several are worse off...

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:37 AM
Quoting btamilee:

Interesting....I can honestly say that I personally, know of no one who is better off today than a year ago.  I would say that for the most part......no change, and several are worse off...

All the people I know are better off

btamilee
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I wish that were the situation in the area that I live.  Many people are unemployed!  My hubby moved over a thousand miles away from home for his job.  My daughter and I will be staying here and we will be living apart for now.  Its the first time in 30 years of marriage that we have not lived in the same house, let alone the same state.  But.....you do what you have to take care of your family, without expecting others to foot the bill! 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting btamilee:

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't see where the polls are saying that people are pretty off today, than a yr. ago?  Because, there were a lot that said they are about the same.  So, I not getting where MORE people are saying they are doing better.  I just can't believe it anyway.  Because, of all the people that lost their homes.  Lost most of their equity in their homes, & I've even heard for the next 5 yrs. it will be even worse.  House prices are going to go down even more.  So, every home owner will be losing big time.

Houses all over the place are all boarded up.  People walking away from their homes because they can't afford them.  Jobs even IF you are one of the lucky to find one, are only either p/t and/or very low pay.  Therefore, having to go on PA.  How is that being better off?  The fact is 2009, was worse than 2008.  2010 was worse than 2009, 2011 was worse than 2010, & it's looking like 2012 is going to be worse than 2011.  How is that possible people are better off today than last yr?

LifeIsForLOLZ
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:47 AM
5 moms liked this

Well it goes against their bias so I'm guessing they just couldn't hide the truth any longer.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Excellent post btamilee!!!  You are SO right in saying that people have to take more pride in themselves, & NOT expect others to foot the bill for your bills.  I remember reading a post like this, perhaps it was by you.  I thought how sad, it has to come down to this.  But, as you mentioned we all have to do what we have to do.  I wish MORE people would think like you & your husband does. 

In NOT expecting the Gov/Taypayers to do it for you.  Many people not willing to take responsbility for themselves & their families.  Most people wouldn't make a move like that, in order to provide for their own families.  Nope, they'd rather taxpayers to provide for their families. I know a person that has been without a job now for going on 4 yrs.  He lives in a very rural area, for which he loves.  I have told him many times, why doesn't he look out of his area.  That he can't expect to even have a chance at finding a job, there.  Yet, he doesn't.  So, he goes on all the PA programs that he can get.   

Quoting btamilee:

I wish that were the situation in the area that I live.  Many people are unemployed!  My hubby moved over a thousand miles away from home for his job.  My daughter and I will be staying here and we will be living apart for now.  Its the first time in 30 years of marriage that we have not lived in the same house, let alone the same state.  But.....you do what you have to take care of your family, without expecting others to foot the bill! 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting btamilee:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I suggest looking here rather than just reading  the post.

http://www.pollingreport.com/life.htm?9/13/2012

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM
We are much better off. Just about everyone I know is better off, and the ones who aren't, are in bad spots bc of their own poor choices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM
4 moms liked this

This post is cracking me up.   What, all of a sudden fox news is credible because it is saying what OP wants it to say.   Usually it is fox news isn't news, anyone who pays attention to fox news is an idiot, etc. etc. etc.

I guess it is worth paying attention to if they say what you want them to say.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I don't see where the polls are saying that people are pretty off today, than a yr. ago?  Because, there were a lot that said they are about the same.  So, I not getting where MORE people are saying they are doing better.  I just can't believe it anyway.  Because, of all the people that lost their homes.  Lost most of their equity in their homes, & I've even heard for the next 5 yrs. it will be even worse.  House prices are going to go down even more.  So, every home owner will be losing big time.

Houses all over the place are all boarded up.  People walking away from their homes because they can't afford them.  Jobs even IF you are one of the lucky to find one, are only either p/t and/or very low pay.  Therefore, having to go on PA.  How is that being better off?  The fact is 2009, was worse than 2008.  2010 was worse than 2009, 2011 was worse than 2010, & it's looking like 2012 is going to be worse than 2011.  How is that possible people are better off today than last yr?

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Quoting btamilee:

My husband and I did that a year and a half ago.  He moved to Massachusetts while the kids and I stayed in Oklahoma.  He was there for 4 months before we were able to follow. 

Ironically, he hated it there....and 3 months after the family reunited, we all moved back to Oklahoma together.

Late 2010/early 2011 was a rough (and expensive!) time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN