Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homework Bans

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:11 AM
  • 201 Replies
3 moms liked this

What do you think about homework?

This comment on the article also makes me think....do we waste too much money on sports and music, money that would be better spent on eduation?

Slight correction. French kids go to school Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, all long days, and a half day every other Saturday. Wednesday's are for sports and music interests of the students since they rightly don't consider this a real part of general education. Sports Clubs take care of sports, and private music teachers take care of music education.  

I was appalled upon return to the States and going to a high school football game seeing the extravagance of this production both in facilities and the overblown marching bands and their on-field equipment. So much of our education funding goes to supporting professional sports and music, both of which don't create much in the way of career paths.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2012/10/15/french-president-pushing-homework-ban-as-part-of-ed-reforms/

How do you think this would go over in the United States? French President François Hollande has said he will end homework as part of a series of reforms to overhaul the country’s education system.

And the reason he wants to ban homework?

He doesn’t think it is fair that some kids get help from their parents at home while children who come from disadvantaged families don’t. It’s an issue that goes well beyond France, and has been part of the reason that some Americans oppose homework too.

Hollande’s reform plans include increasing the number of teachers, moving the school week from four days to 4 1/2 days, overhauling the curriculum and taking steps to cut down on absenteeism.

“Education is priority,” Hollande was quoted as saying by France24.com at Paris’s Sorbonne University last week. “An education program is, by definition, a societal program. Work should be done at school, rather than at home,” as a way to ensure that students who have no help at home are not disadvantaged.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM
8 moms liked this

and again, everyone must be equal

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:21 AM
9 moms liked this
This ain't France.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:30 AM
8 moms liked this

I think a ban on homework would be a terrible idea. Homework (as long as it's educationally meaningful, and not just busywork) serves an important purpose. Yes, it's unfortunate that some kids get help at home and others don't, but that's not a reason to do away with it altogether. Would this homework ban extend to universities, as well? At some point, kids need to learn the self-discipline skills that homework teaches. If you have a nation of children who encounter this necessity for the first time when they get to COLLEGE, or even when they get into the workforce and discover that sometimes you have to stay late or take work home, that's going to be a really rude awakening. What is Hollande's plan for that?

As far as sports and music are concerned, I think that music should be included as part of the general curriculum, just like physical education, library sciences and home economics, but that's just me.

And in most of the high schools I've worked in and seen, the football budget comes largely not from the school's operating budget, but from its own revenues--ticket sales, concessions, football fees, etc. If anything, in a lot of high schools and colleges with large sports programs, the sports actually bring money INTO the school, not the other way around. So getting rid of them to save money for other things makes no sense. Now, I do think you could argue that in high schools, sports need to take less priority when compared to academics because the primary purpose of schools is to provide an education, not sports opportunities, so academics should be the priority. But that's a different argument.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm kind of on the fence where home work is concerned. When I was in school, home work was something you did because you didn''t, for whatever reason, finish the assignment during class time. Every once in awhile there was assigned home work or there was a project that required extra time to work on it, a research paper, etc.  I have to admit having a problem when one of the grand kids going to kindergartin brought home a packet of work that was given at the end of class and to be done at home. The child had one of these packets every night and I'm not kidding, it contained 2 - 3 hours of work. I wondered what the heck they did in class all day that the teacher felt every child needed that much homework every night.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM
3 moms liked this

This is where I am confused as well.  It used to be whatever projects you were working on, maybe the occasional essay and whatever you didn't finish in class.  Now, it seems that schools feel that kids have to have homework.

I'm currently having issues with the homework thing because no matter what I do, I can't get Monster to sit down and get it done.  She knows the work and can do it, but she simply refuses.  Her logic: I know it already so I don't feel like doing it and I won't.

Quoting meriana:

I'm kind of on the fence where home work is concerned. When I was in school, home work was something you did because you didn''t, for whatever reason, finish the assignment during class time. Every once in awhile there was assigned home work or there was a project that required extra time to work on it, a research paper, etc.  I have to admit having a problem when one of the grand kids going to kindergartin brought home a packet of work that was given at the end of class and to be done at home. The child had one of these packets every night and I'm not kidding, it contained 2 - 3 hours of work. I wondered what the heck they did in class all day that the teacher felt every child needed that much homework every night.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM
7 moms liked this

Do you feel that creating an educational divide in young students benefits society as a whole? What purpose does it serve, for the greater good?

Quoting candlegal:

and again, everyone must be equal

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

This ain't France.

I'm pretty sure we all understand that. They are not the only ones who have issues with homework, however. From the article:

Whether Hollande really gets all of this done is open to question. But his homework position is not original; some school districts in the United States did the same thing going back more than a century. Early in the 1900s, the influential Ladies’ Home Journal magazine called homework “barbarous,” and school districts such as Los Angeles abolished it in kindergarten through eighth grade.  In fact, some educators said it caused tuberculosis, nervous conditions and heart disease in the young and that children were better off playing outside. The American Child Health Association in the 1930s labeled homework and child labor as leading killers of children who contracted tuberculosis and heart disease.

Today people who oppose homework have different objections, among them, the research  that suggests it doesn’t really help young children learn.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Quoting jhslove:

I think a ban on homework would be a terrible idea. Homework (as long as it's educationally meaningful, and not just busywork) serves an important purpose. Yes, it's unfortunate that some kids get help at home and others don't, but that's not a reason to do away with it altogether. Would this homework ban extend to universities, as well? At some point, kids need to learn the self-discipline skills that homework teaches. If you have a nation of children who encounter this necessity for the first time when they get to COLLEGE, or even when they get into the workforce and discover that sometimes you have to stay late or take work home, that's going to be a really rude awakening. What is Hollande's plan for that?

As far as sports and music are concerned, I think that music should be included as part of the general curriculum, just like physical education, library sciences and home economics, but that's just me.

And in most of the high schools I've worked in and seen, the football budget comes largely not from the school's operating budget, but from its own revenues--ticket sales, concessions, football fees, etc. If anything, in a lot of high schools and colleges with large sports programs, the sports actually bring money INTO the school, not the other way around. So getting rid of them to save money for other things makes no sense. Now, I do think you could argue that in high schools, sports need to take less priority when compared to academics because the primary purpose of schools is to provide an education, not sports opportunities, so academics should be the priority. But that's a different argument.

Good point on athletics bringing IN money for the schools!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Quoting meriana:

I agree that much homework is overwhelming! I remember mostly having math homework, maybe its what didn't get done in class! :) I also remember getting daily pops because I 'had a hard time getting motivated at home' to do my math homework!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Do you make her do it anyway? Just curious.

Quoting randi1978:

This is where I am confused as well.  It used to be whatever projects you were working on, maybe the occasional essay and whatever you didn't finish in class.  Now, it seems that schools feel that kids have to have homework.

I'm currently having issues with the homework thing because no matter what I do, I can't get Monster to sit down and get it done.  She knows the work and can do it, but she simply refuses.  Her logic: I know it already so I don't feel like doing it and I won't.

Quoting meriana:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN