Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Leaked Audio Captures Romney Asking Employers To Tell Their Employees How To Vote *ETA Link to audio

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM
  • 15 Replies

Leaked Audio Captures Romney Asking Employers To Tell Their Employees How To Vote

audio

Newly-discovered audio from a conference call in June captures Mitt Romney asking business owners to urge their employees to vote for him.
Romney, speaking on a call to the very conservative National Federation of Independent Business, tells a group of business owners that they should “make it very clear” how they feel about the candidates. The audio, discovered by In These Times, also captures Romney telling the business owners to “pass… along to your employees” how their jobs might be effected by who wins in November:
I hope you make it very clear to your employees what you believe is in the best interest of your enterprise and therefore their job and their future in the upcoming elections. And whether you agree with me or you agree with President Obama, or whatever your political view, I hope — I hope you pass those along to your employees. Nothing illegal about you talking to your employees about what you believe is best for the business, because I think that will figure into their election decision, their voting decision and of course doing that with your family and your kids as well.

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I would like to hear this

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Source?
Lacey14
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Where is the problem with that?  Unions go through the company urging employees to vote democratic.  Why can't Romney tell people in businesses to spread the word?  He didn't threaten them, he urged them to give the consequences serious thought.  Do you think Obama isn't doing the same when he gets a chance?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Eh. I'm sure this can be spun both ways. What boggles me is that Rney is so ignorant of his gaffes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Eh, I suspect most politicians do this. Nothing new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

He clearly said "whether it is me or president Obama". So, what is wrong with encouraging people to vote?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Meh, he was campaigning.  

Now, if he was threatening jobs, or something along those lines, if one did not vote for him.........that would be a different story.

Although I'm not sure how one would know, for certain, who one votes for.

zandhmom2
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

This is such a non issue.  All candidates "urge" people to vote for them.

zandhmom2
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Oh, and it's not like the democrats who actually take money out of union workers paychecks to go directly to the democrat fund.  Now, I find that to be crossing a line.  My brother is in the roofer union and every paycheck money comes out for it and he doesn't even have an option to support democrats or not, they just take it.

sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Quoting motherslove82:

He clearly said "whether it is me or president Obama". So, what is wrong with encouraging people to vote?

It's all in the spin. It's convenient to "forget" about that part if it suits your agenda.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN