Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FACT CHECK: Romney wrong about women's employment stats

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

By NBC's Domenico Montanaro

Both campaigns are wooing women after the debate, including the Mitt Romney campaign launching a bus tour in Iowa with women who worked with the Republican presidential nominee. But at the debate, Romney said the following: "In the last four years, women have lost 580,000 jobs."

There are several ways to look at this. But the bottom line is Romney's count is incorrect. 

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of payroll jobs held by women -- from February 2009, the first full month President Barack Obama was in office -- has declined by 82,000 jobs.

Even if calculated from January, the number is 283,000 jobs, not 580,000. Romney was likely using an outdated figure based on data from March when the GOP primary was wrapping up. Calculating from January 2009 to March 2012, the number is about 583,000 jobs lost. But, of course, January wasn't Obama's first month on the job, not to mention the economy was in free fall.

The numbers are based on the BLS survey of businesses, which report their payroll. This is the survey BLS uses to say if jobs were gained or lost. 

Women are the voters being targeted by both the Obama and Romney campaigns, which have both unveiled new ads on abortion. NBC's Andrea Mitchell reports.

Additionally, the data does not yet reflect the adjustment that BLS will make after the election -- but which has already been announced -- that will add approximately 386,000 jobs, according to Gary Steinberg, press officer at BLS.

(The adjustment comes from BLS comparing data it had from the survey of businesses with a more universal report with harder numbers -- a business Census, if you will -- in which businesses around the country send in their payroll numbers).

What's more, if you look at the survey of workers, more women say they work for money now than they did in February 2009 (see chart 2 below).

And the share of women in the workforce is essentially unchanged with a slight decrease (see charts 3 and 4). The reason for this, according to Steinberg: At the outset of the recession, men were hit harder because of the types of jobs they held in manufacturing and the like. Now, men are also getting jobs back at a higher rate because of that fact and growth in manufacturing as the economy recovers. 

1. #of payroll jobs held by women -

Feb. 2009: 65,921,000
Sept. 2012: 65,839,000

Net change: 82,000 jobs lost

2. # of women who say they're employed - (women who say they worked for pay)

Feb. 2009: 66,916,000 employed
Sept. 2012: 67,222,000 employed

3. Total # of jobs in the U.S. economy

Feb. 2009: 132,837,000 total payroll jobs in the U.S. economy. Of those, women held 65,921,000, or 49.6%
Sept. 2012: 133,500,000 total payroll jobs in the U.S. economy. Of those, women hold 65,839,000, or 49.3%

4. Of those employed, the share of women has slightly increased since Feb. 2009.

Feb. 2009: 141,660,000  employed, of those 66,916,000, or 47.2%
Sept. 2012: 142,974,000 employed, of those 67,222,000 are women, or 47%

We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this
lga1965
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like Romney figured that nobody would check!  But people are smarter than he thinks they are!

.....sigh.......

mama3814
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting lga1965:

Looks like Romney figured that nobody would check!  But people are smarter than he thinks they are!

.....sigh.......

After spending time on CM, I'm not so sure. I know that sounds bad, but some of these ladies would believe the sky is purple if Mitt said it. He's a damn good salesman.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM
3 moms liked this
Not really most of them hated him until he was the nominee

Some hate the POTUS more than they love America....and some just blindly support anything with an R next to it..

Quoting mama3814:

Quoting lga1965:

.....sigh.......

After spending time on CM, I'm not so sure. I know that sounds bad, but some of these ladies would believe the sky is purple if Mitt said it. He's a damn good salesman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama3814
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

That makes more sense. I just can't understand how they can support someone whose position on issues changes with the wind.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM
But hey, your loss Mittens...could've saved about .30 on the 1.00
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Wonder why it's acceptable to speak about AA for women and not for blacks or Latinos...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Not really most of them hated him until he was the nominee

Some hate the POTUS more than they love America....and some just blindly support anything with an R next to it..

Quoting mama3814:

Quoting lga1965:

.....sigh.......

Separation of church and state is for the protection of BOTH church and state.
Leading with hate and intolerance only leads to MORE hate and intolerance.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
He has literally taken every position on every topic out there! Every single one!!

Quoting mama3814:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

That makes more sense. I just can't understand how they can support someone whose position on issues changes with the wind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama3814
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM
OP,
I know this is off topic, but I like the "fighting terrorism since 1492" pic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN