Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anything for a Buck?

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 19 Replies

So, I had to pick up my son a back pack and got to the register.  The backpack was around $18.  So, the clerk rings it up and then the clerk says "you qualify the backpack protection program". 

So apparently, I can "insure" the backpack that costs $18 for $8.  I thought he was joking and then he showed me the screen.  I was like seriously.  I laughed (in general not at him) and told him, if it breaks, I'll come back and buy the backpacks you have over there for $5 (although they were on clearance).

I walked out just thinking to myself that is insane they sale protection plans for backpacks.

What is the craziest thing you've bought/encountered?

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

they sell them because some kids carry a lot of books and are rough with them.  For that $8 you would have received a check or gift card in the mail if within the year something due to normal wear and tear happened to the bag.  So when the next school year starts you'd get a new backpack to the $8 extra you paid today.  Although I'm pretty sure, at K-Mart at least anything less than $24.99 the replacement plan is only $2.99.

It is great for kids bikes because they can outgrow them pretty quick when they are young.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Plus employees get a bonus for every plan they sell.  the $2.99 plan makes me an extra $.25!

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

In many ways I think this is the biggest scam going, the insure this or that in dept. stores.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Why do they not sell something that won't fall apart in a year?

I laughed when someone tried to sell me a $19.99 plan for a $50 ipod shuffle.  I was like, nah, I'll live dangerously.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I understand the concept, I just never heard of it being sold for a backpack.  I was weary because if nothing happened to the bag, then it is a waste of eight dollars.  Plus, my kids last backpacks lasted them 3 years.  So, I honestly found in unnecesary, but I guess if some kids go through backpacks fast it would be worth it.  Although, I still find $8 on $18 to be a high insurance rate.

My son actually has a backpack but it is too small and he doesn't have lockers athis new school.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

they sell them because some kids carry a lot of books and are rough with them.  For that $8 you would have received a check or gift card in the mail if within the year something due to normal wear and tear happened to the bag.  So when the next school year starts you'd get a new backpack to the $8 extra you paid today.  Although I'm pretty sure, at K-Mart at least anything less than $24.99 the replacement plan is only $2.99.

It is great for kids bikes because they can outgrow them pretty quick when they are young.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

I know right. 

I got my daughter a shuffle this past summer and our local store wanted $24.99 for the plan.  I'm not sure if it is still relevent, but when the economy got real bad, economist said one of the best places to save money was to pass on some of those "replacement plans".  The only ones I've EVER done is on the computer and what I've been through with the computer, I still had to pay money.  Anyhow, the economist stated that it's not worth the money if the plan exceeds 10-15% of the cost of the item.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I laughed when someone tried to sell me a $19.99 plan for a $50 ipod shuffle.  I was like, nah, I'll live dangerously.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM

yeah $8 is too much, that might have been the 2 year price.  K-mart offer 1 year and 2 year replacement plans.  You can always help the backpack to break a little.  I've never had to deal with the replacement plan people so I don't know how good or bad or fast they are.  A few people have said that with bikes they had to send them a pedal or something to get the gift card or check so even if the bike isn't truly broken they get a new one for whatever the difference in the cost of the two are and they could easily buy replacement pedals for the old bike.

Jewelery I know you have to send in the whole item.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I understand the concept, I just never heard of it being sold for a backpack.  I was weary because if nothing happened to the bag, then it is a waste of eight dollars.  Plus, my kids last backpacks lasted them 3 years.  So, I honestly found in unnecesary, but I guess if some kids go through backpacks fast it would be worth it.  Although, I still find $8 on $18 to be a high insurance rate.

My son actually has a backpack but it is too small and he doesn't have lockers athis new school.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Jewelry is one of the few things I will get a plan on especially since I have a knack for breaking the chains.  I don't know why but they are always getting caught on things.  But, I only do this with my fine jewelry.

It's funny because they had another backpack for $18 and two more (pretty good quality) for $5 each (clearance).  I should go back and get them all just to have them in stock for later (because the kids have a long road ahead of them).  And then, if they ask, I'll tell them my protection plan just cost me less than your protection plans.

:)

Quoting Firenygirl180:

yeah $8 is too much, that might have been the 2 year price.  K-mart offer 1 year and 2 year replacement plans.  You can always help the backpack to break a little.  I've never had to deal with the replacement plan people so I don't know how good or bad or fast they are.  A few people have said that with bikes they had to send them a pedal or something to get the gift card or check so even if the bike isn't truly broken they get a new one for whatever the difference in the cost of the two are and they could easily buy replacement pedals for the old bike.

Jewelery I know you have to send in the whole item.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Firenygirl180:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Also most things you buy have a manufacturers warranty.  

The only insurance I get is on my youngests glasses.  She got glasses at 2 years old and we always pay the $15 that will get new lenses if they scratch or replace broken glasses.  I get my money's worth on that!  lol

Quoting GotSomeKids:

sidesplittinglaughter

I know right. 

I got my daughter a shuffle this past summer and our local store wanted $24.99 for the plan.  I'm not sure if it is still relevent, but when the economy got real bad, economist said one of the best places to save money was to pass on some of those "replacement plans".  The only ones I've EVER done is on the computer and what I've been through with the computer, I still had to pay money.  Anyhow, the economist stated that it's not worth the money if the plan exceeds 10-15% of the cost of the item.

Quoting stacymomof2:

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM

it kind of makes sense in a way because kids get there backpacks taken or lost.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN