Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Louisiana woman set on fire, ‘KKK’ painted on her car

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 35 Replies

Sharmeka Moffitt  reportedly burned and

Police in Winnsboro, Louisiana confirmed on Monday that a woman had been set on fire over the weekend and racial slurs were found scrawled on her car.

Sharmeka Moffitt told police that she was attacked and burned by three men wearing white hoodies at a park in Franklin Parish on Sunday, according to KNOE.

At a press conference on Monday, police said that the letters “KKK” were spray-painted on the hood of her car.

Winnsboro Police Chief Kevin Cobb said that the FBI was investigating whether the incident was a hate crime, but authoritiesdeclined to classify the attack as racially motivated on Monday. The Franklin Parish Sheriff, Louisiana State Police and the state fire Marshall’s office were also participating in the investigation.

A friend of the Moffitt family told KNOE that the victim had burns on 90 percent of her body and was currently in stable condition at the LSU-Shreveport hospital.

The Facebook page “Prayers for Sharmeka Moffitt” was created on Sunday night to support the victim and encourage the media to cover the story. By Monday afternoon, that page had received over 8,000 “likes.”

Watch this video KNOE, broadcast Oct. 22, 2012.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/22/louisiana-woman-set-on-fire-kkk-painted-on-her-car/

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Makes me so ashamed to call myself a Louisiana woman. I hate that one of the age old traditions past on generation to generation is ignorance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM
7 moms liked this
Very sad. The war on terror should include the KKK and the like.
lga1965
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So sad.

Anyone who pretends that the KKK was only a threat in the past is either stupid or lying. They are still out there, hating. disgusting people.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM

omg.  this is heartbreaking.  i hope she recovers.  

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

How sad. 

I guess if this was the KKK, they didnt get the memo that they arent doing this type of thing anymore. 

sarcasm

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM
6 moms liked this

I just refuse to believe it.  Louisiana is a utopia.  I know this, they are passing bans on wearing pajamas because they have everything else so under control.

dcnative
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

It is such a sad thing that ignorant people who have deep-seated hatred in them are never going away.  This may be 2012 but those prejudices will always be around.  I'm praying for that lady and her family!

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM
:( There are horrible people in this world!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Right!??! Ridiculous focus of time and energy.

Quoting romalove:

I just refuse to believe it.  Louisiana is a utopia.  I know this, they are passing bans on wearing pajamas because they have everything else so under control.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I think she was being sarcastic.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Right!??! Ridiculous focus of time and energy.

Quoting romalove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN