Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama says Romney would spend $2 trilllion that the military hasn't asked for. | TRUE | PolitiFact

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

Obama says Romney would spend $2 trilllion that the military hasn't asked for

Republican nominee Mitt Romney has said he plans to increase defense spending by about $2 trillion over the next 10 years if he’s elected president. In the final debate of the campaign, moderator Bob Scheiffer asked Romney, "Where are you going to get the money?"

Romney said he would take it from other parts of the budget -- by abolishing Obamacare and by changing Medicaid to a block grant and turning it over to the states.

President Barack Obama said Romney’s plan for more defense spending is a bad idea, because it isn’t necessary. Romney "wants to spend another $2 trillion on military spending that our military is not asking for," Obama said.

In this fact-check, we examine the claim that Romney is promoting something the top brass don’t want.

Romney has outlined out his national security policy on his website. There, he warned that restoring the military "will not be a cost-free process," and said he will "begin by reversing Obama-era defense cuts ... with the goal of setting core defense spending — meaning funds devoted to the fundamental military components of personnel, operations and maintenance, procurement, and research and development — at a floor of 4 percent of GDP."

What’s 4 percent worth?

The Pentagon’s budget is expected to run in the range of 3.2 to 3.5 percent of GDP in the next fiscal year. According to the Center for a New American Security, a group with ties to both Republican and Democratic administrations, even a gradual ramp up to 4 percent would increase defense spending by $2.1 trillion over the next ten years, as reported by CNN.

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a bipartisan group focused on deficit reduction, uses that number too, as do other budget think tanks. Romney seems to accept it, so as far as the $2 trillion figure goes, it seems reasonably accurate.

In the past, when asked about increasing defense spending in tough economic times, the Romney campaign has emphasized that the 4-percent goal will take some time to achieve.

While the campaign website describes the goal as "a floor", campaign spokesperson Andrea Saul called it "a target" in an email to a Boston Globe reporter. The first priority, Saul wrote, is to reverse "Obama-era defense cuts."

In the same article, one Romney adviser, Mackenzie Eaglen with the conservative American Enterprise Institute, said, "That’s not a hard number and anybody would be crazy to suggest it is. It would have to be a very slow ramp-up and they would be hard-pressed to even achieve a 4 percent base budget by the end of the first term.’’

This suggests there is some flexibility on Romney’s part, although the candidate himself has not expressed that.

What the Pentagon is asking for

In the debate, Romney said, "Our Navy is smaller now than at any time since 1917. The Navy said they needed 313 ships to carry out their mission. We're now at under 285."

In fact, the 313-ship plan reflects a 2005 strategic review. In April, the Secretary of the Navy, Ray Mabus, presented a new program that sets a goal of 300 ships. Mabus’s remarks came at a moment when Romney had been vocal in his opposition to the new approach.

"A lot of this criticism is based on either incomplete and/or inaccurate or outdated information, or a failure to see beyond the short term or a willingness to protect the status quo in spite of the changing world and in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary," he said.

The president’s budget calls for $487 billion in defense savings between now and 2021. His defense secretary, Leon Panetta, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, have both spoken up for the plan, as have the heads of all five branches of the military.

"We are developing today the Joint Force the nation will need in 2020," Dempsey told the Senate budget committee. "We will be a military that is able to do more than one thing at a time—to win any conflict, anywhere."

Panetta acknowledged that the budget comes with risks but he said the department’s plan was based on looking first at the threats the nation might face.

"The department would need to make a strategic shift regardless of the nation's fiscal situation.," Panetta told the budget committee. "We are at that point in history. That's the reality of the world we live in."

Administration critics say the reality was just the reverse. A report from the conservative Heritage Foundation said, "the administration set a goal of slashing the defense budget, and then crafted a strategy justifying such draconian cuts."

The president is the commander-in-chief. Panetta works for Obama and the military answers to him. To the analysts at the Heritage Foundation, the chain of command says it all. But in the past, when military commanders have disagreed with presidents, they have found ways to get their complaints to the public.

This is not to say that all commanders are pleased with the trade-offs they face. But Nora Bensahel, deputy director of studies at the Center for New American Security, said she believes the president put a great deal of time into discussions with the military, and by and large, the commanders support the plan.

"It’s hard to see daylight between the military and the White House on this," Bensahel said.

Broadly speaking, it is always possible that the service chiefs would disagree over funding of individual programs but that is within the overall budget limits.

Our ruling

The president said Romney planned to increase defense spending by $2 trillion and that was money the military hadn’t asked for.

Military leaders have testified in support of the president’s spending plan, and we found no evidence of disagreement behind the scenes.

We rate the statement True.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM
5 moms liked this

He can't spend what the Congress doesn't give him to sign.

Honestly....I am more worried about the SIX trillion Obama added to our DEBT than I am POSSIBLE spending in the next 10 years.

....why is Obama suddenly worried about what isn't "wanted"....where was this worry when they were passed the stimulus the people didn't want...and Obamacare the people didn't want.....?

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe Obama thinks he will just sign an executive order and poof it will be done.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Honestly....I am more worried about the SIX trillion Obama added to our DEBT than I am POSSIBLE spending in the next 10 years.

....why is Obama suddenly worried about what isn't "wanted"....where was this worry when they were passed the stimulus the people didn't want...and Obamacare the people didn't want.....?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The worry is probably that Recession he came into wouldn't stop and would lead into a Depression. And if you say no one wanted it-How did it get passed Congress?

So Mitt Romney cannot spend what Congress doesn't want him to. But no one wanted Obamacare or the stimulus package but somehow that got approved? That makes sense.

Or does President Obama have powers as President that Mitt Romney won't be able to have?

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The worry is probably that Recession he came into wouldn't stop and would lead into a Depression. And if you say no one wanted it-How did it get passed Congress?

So Mitt Romney cannot spend what Congress doesn't want him to. But no one wanted Obamacare or the stimulus package but somehow that got approved? That makes sense. 

Or does President Obama have powers as President that Mitt Romney won't be able to have?

Oh Lord, you are still trotting out that chart?  LOL

I hate to be the one to tell you this...but using the same standards used back then we are IN a depression.

Please provide some proof to your assertion that Romney WILL actually spend this money?

Have you been comatose or imprisoned?  The only reason the stimulus and Obamacare got passed was because the Dems had the majority.  Interesting how people can just ignore the protests made by millions...interesting how those same pissed off people did some housecleaning in Nov 2010.

Your forgot to comment on the 6 trillion dollars of debt....so I guess you are okay with that.   Hmmmmm....interesting......you seem to be okay with pouring trillions down a rabbit hole but are against spending on defense....I feel like I have fallen down the rabbit hole..............

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I hate to be the one to tell you this...but using the same standards used back then we are IN a depression.

Please provide some proof to your assertion that Romney WILL actually spend this money?

Have you been comatose or imprisoned?  The only reason the stimulus and Obamacare got passed was because the Dems had the majority.  Interesting how people can just ignore the protests made by millions...interesting how those same pissed off people did some housecleaning in Nov 2010.

Your forgot to comment on the 6 trillion dollars of debt....so I guess you are okay with that.   Hmmmmm....interesting......you seem to be okay with pouring trillions down a rabbit hole but are against spending on defense....I feel like I have fallen down the rabbit hole..............

Proof that Mitt Romney plans to increase the military budget by 2 trillion? Well Mitt Romney said that is what his plan is-Repeatedly. So Mitt Romney plans to increase the budget by 2 trillion. And plans on cutting taxes 20% across the board.  But some how he plans to balance the budget-But refuses to say which programs he will cut and which tax loopholes/deductions he will get rid of.

If you do not trust Mitt Romney's words (Because they do change a lot) then you should check his website. I am sure it is there as well.

And unless you have a time Machine-We cannot change the past. We can look to the future. And right now I see a man with a plan. And a man promising everyone what they want to hear, "Rich people-I won't raise your taxes!". "Middle class people I won't raise your taxes". "I will increase Military Spending!". "Everyone will still be covered for health!". "The budget will be balanced!". But refuses to get into the details because once it turns to reality the details cannot support all his promises.

Which Promises will he keep? The ones he started with? (Not raising taxes on the Rich, deregulation?) or the new ones (Not raising taxes on the middle class, and that regulations are okay now)?

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay after thinking about this some more....I need to call out the fact checker....  Do they have a crystal ball?  How can they say what anyone WOULD do?  They can say what someone would like to do....or wants to do...but they cannot claim as fact what someone WOULD do....not when it also involves having the Congress on board.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Okay after thinking about this some more....I need to call out the fact checker....  Do they have a crystal ball?  How can they say what anyone WOULD do?  They can say what someone would like to do....or wants to do...but they cannot claim as fact what someone WOULD do....not when it also involves having the Congress on board.

Because Mitt Romney has repeatedly said he would increase it by 2 Trillion. Are you suggesting we should not take Mitt Romney for his word because he flips flops so much?

Because I can kind of see where you are coming with that. Chances are extremely high (Especially after seeing the last debate) that Mitt Romney will say, "Nevermind. I support whatever President Obama did/is doing".

But because they don't have a Crystal Ball they have to go by what Mitt Romney has been saying he will do.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Proof that Mitt Romney plans to increase the military budget by 2 trillion? Well Mitt Romney said that is what his plan is-Repeatedly. So Mitt Romney plans to increase the budget by 2 trillion. And plans on cutting taxes 20% across the board.  But some how he plans to balance the budget-But refuses to say which programs he will cut and which tax loopholes/deductions he will get rid of.

If you do not trust Mitt Romney's words (Because they do change a lot) then you should check his website. I am sure it is there as well.

And unless you have a time Machine-We cannot change the past. We can look to the future. And right now I see a man with a plan. And a man promising everyone what they want to hear, "Rich people-I won't raise your taxes!". "Middle class people I won't raise your taxes". "I will increase Military Spending!". "Everyone will still be covered for health!". "The budget will be balanced!". But refuses to get into the details because once it turns to reality the details cannot support all his promises.

Which Promises will he keep? The ones he started with? (Not raising taxes on the Rich, deregulation?) or the new ones (Not raising taxes on the middle class, and that regulations are okay now)?

So which is it....he WILL or he would like to?  There is a big difference...and you and the article are asserting he WILL.  How do you know this to be fact...been time traveling lately?

Actually Romney's plan will increase taxes on those evil rich people...because it limits their deductions..it seriously limits their deductions..giving them a lower rate won't make them pay less.

I didn't see you complaining about Obama's lack of a fleshed out plan...he doesn't have one either.  He does seem to have the ability to get folks like yourself to snap their head and say.."oh look..pretty words..."

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Because Mitt Romney has repeatedly said he would increase it by 2 Trillion. Are you suggesting we should not take Mitt Romney for his word because he flips flops so much?

Because I can kind of see where you are coming with that. Chances are extremely high (Especially after seeing the last debate) that Mitt Romney will say, "Nevermind. I support whatever President Obama did/is doing".

But because they don't have a Crystal Ball they have to go by what Mitt Romney has been saying he will do.

Do you need to run go get a cup of coffee or something?  You can't say something WILL happen because someone would like for it too.  If they are going to say he will because he said he wants to then they LIE...because they have no way of knowing what will happen...especially when it first requires the approval of Congress.

Anything on that 6 trillion dollars of debt yet?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So which is it....he WILL or he would like to?  There is a big difference...and you and the article are asserting he WILL.  How do you know this to be fact...been time traveling lately?

Actually Romney's plan will increase taxes on those evil rich people...because it limits their deductions..it seriously limits their deductions..giving them a lower rate won't make them pay less.

I didn't see you complaining about Obama's lack of a fleshed out plan...he doesn't have one either.  He does seem to have the ability to get folks like yourself to snap their head and say.."oh look..pretty words..."

President Obama does have a plan. If you visit his website the details are there. Which Tax Loopholes and deductions President Obama wants to close-They are there. They are not hidden and kept secret. Just because you refuse to go look at it doesn't mean it is not there.

Well no one can predict the future. What we have is what people say. If either candidate says, "I will do this"-It means, "I want to do this".

Unless, like you said someone has a time machine, there is no way to know what will happen in the future.

If Mitt Romney says he will increase the budget by 2 Trillion we have to take him at his word that IF he is elected he will try and increase the budget to the Military by 2 Trillion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)