Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

moms of the alleged teenage murderers in the news lately

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM
  • 154 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm sure many of you have heard by now that a 17-year-old was arrested in connection with the murder of Jessica Ridgeway in Colorado.

And in New Jersey, two teenage brothers were arrested and charged with the murder of a 12-year-old girl whose bike they apparently wanted to steal.

In both cases, it was the suspects' own mothers who ended up turning their sons in to police.

It is instinctive to feel sympathy and grief for the family of the victims, of course. That goes without saying. But I find myself wondering about how these mothers must feel, calling the cops to tell them that their own child is a murderer.

Is this something you think about? Can you imagine being in their shoes?

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angie_O
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I definitely cannot imagine being in their shoes. 

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM
38 moms liked this

I definitely cannot imagine being in their shoes not is it something I think about.

As a mother, our first instinct is to protect out child so it takes a lot of strength and courage for a mother to admit that their child has done something wrong and report it.  I applaud these mothers for that because as hard as it is, their sense of right and wrong prevails.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM
8 moms liked this

I have called the police about my sons activity though it wasnt nearly so serious.  Nothing came of it, no evidence.  I would absolutely make the call without hesitation but my heart would be irreparably broken.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM
11 moms liked this

Those moms are heroes.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting futureshock:

Those moms are heroes.

Yep.

Unimaginable.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
10 moms liked this

I commend them.  I know it must have been a difficult decision, but honestly, I think it is a greater sign of love toward their child than pulling the old, "MY CHILD WOULD NEVER DO THAT!! HE IS A GOOD KID!", crap that we usually see. 

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about the first case, but in the second, I imagine that this is not the first time this mother has had trouble with her sons.

dallascowboys82
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Well first I would hope that I taught my child better then that. And that taking another's life is far from okay. I really can't say if I would turn them in myself or I would try and get them to turn themself in. I would have them understand that I will be by their side every step of the way.
But like I said, I hope I have raised my kids to know better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thorntonwife
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting dallascowboys82:

Well first I would hope that I taught my child better then that. And that taking another's life is far from okay. I really can't say if I would turn them in myself or I would try and get them to turn themself in. I would have them understand that I will be by their side every step of the way.
But like I said, I hope I have raised my kids to know better.

how could you not turn them in?
mom2bell
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM
It is unimaginable. How do you give birth to a little angel woo turns into a monster? The questions. The heartache, the families. How? So terrible
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)