Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I spend my food stamps on candy.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I think it's a great idea :-)

I don't think it's a good idea at all. Foodstamps should be spent on healthy food ONLY.

I don't care one way or the other what you do with your food stamps.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 179

View Results

For everyone who complains about people spending their food stamps on junk ;-)

This is the best reward system I've come up with so far. Each of my kids has a marble jar with four lines drawn on them. Whenever they complete a chore or do something nice, they get a marble. When the jar is filled up to the first line, they earn .50, up to 2.00.

Now because we're poor, we have food stamps and of course the kids want to spend their "money" on candy, so that's what we do. And the best part? They aren't allowed to have junk food unless they earn it so instead of the kids begging for sweets at the store and me being the bad guy by saying no, they're hard at work doing chores and nice things to get the candy instead :-)

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Replies (291-298):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here :-)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well I don't mind my kids eating a bit of unhealthy food here and there in moderation. That is the key in moderation. To ban it 100% only creates bigger problems down the road when they are adults out from under your thumb and go hog wild mad eating all those things they weren't allowed to have as children.

Quoting LindaClement:

I wouldn't have chosen 'things I don't want in your body for your health's sake' as rewards.

Under any circumstances. Not even some imaginary ones where I believed rewards 'worked' toward a single one of my goals as a parent.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Isn't it?!

I hated the checks :-( Even now I try to be understanding when Wic mama's are in line in front of me.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

NO WAY!!! WIC is the most embarrassing thing I have ever had to do in my entire life. They have to check every single item. Then they need your ID, Now the people behind you are flipping FUMING, whispering and giving the nastiest looks. Then they finally start ringing. However, if you have more than 1 WIC check it has to happen the exact same way inbetween checks and a check out can EASILY take over 20mins. I honestly try and go at like 10pm so I can avoid anyone I know and pissing off as few people as possible.

Quoting paganbaby:

Would you want FS to have vouchers like Wic? If so what would those vouches entail?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I am comfortable with WIC and FS having limits on what can be purchased.

Quoting EireLass:

On the flipside of that....once you pay your taxes, it's no longer your money. What the government chooses to do with 'money in the bin'....they can. Do you really want to control what others eat?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

That was my idea.   If she just wanted to discuss using candy as rewards she never would have done the food stamp thing.

But it seems she wants people to know she is on it and wastes the money that people with jobs actually give her family.   Candy, soda, et al.

Quoting jcrew6:

That's what I was thinking. She comes off as Desperate for attention.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Oh Lord. I guess you are tired of Romney posts and want a thread bashing you and poor choices.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Spending like $2 a month on a couple of candy bars isn't wasting what is provided for you.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I disagree.   Buying soda and candy when you can't afford to feed your family is wasting what is provided for you to spend.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It isn't wasting it!! There is no rules on what you have to spend the money on as long as it is food. She is following the rules 100%.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Why is it good that you waste the aid provided to you because you can't care for your family?  I really don't understand this need for you to do this by making it this so you can create board fodder.

I would be embarrassed that I have to let others feed my kid.

Quoting paganbaby:

Eh, I killed two birds with one stone. Two hot topics. One using candy as a reward and two using using food stamps on non healthy food.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

That was my idea.   If she just wanted to discuss using candy as rewards she never would have done the food stamp thing.

But it seems she wants people to know she is on it and wastes the money that people with jobs actually give her family.   Candy, soda, et al.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Oh Lord. I guess you are tired of Romney posts and want a thread bashing you and poor choices.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM
And that is the attitude that keeps families in that cycle of dependency.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Spending like $2 a month on a couple of candy bars isn't wasting what is provided for you.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I disagree.   Buying soda and candy when you can't afford to feed your family is wasting what is provided for you to spend.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It isn't wasting it!! There is no rules on what you have to spend the money on as long as it is food. She is following the rules 100%.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Why is it good that you waste the aid provided to you because you can't care for your family?  I really don't understand this need for you to do this by making it this so you can create board fodder.

Quoting paganbaby:

Eh, I killed two birds with one stone. Two hot topics. One using candy as a reward and two using using food stamps on non healthy food.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM
LOL yup because that $2 a month makes such a difference that it would get them off of FS for sure *eye roll* Just so you know it is based on income and not on what they purchase for food. So it wouldn't matter if they decided to buy $100's of dollars on chips for the month or $100's on healthy food for the month they are still going to qualify no matter what.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM

It can make a difference, but I wouldn't expect someone defending junk food on FS to understand why.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

LOL yup because that $2 a month makes such a difference that it would get them off of FS for sure *eye roll* Just so you know it is based on income and not on what they purchase for food. So it wouldn't matter if they decided to buy $100's of dollars on chips for the month or $100's on healthy food for the month they are still going to qualify no matter what.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

LACHESIS
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

If your food needs are met, I don't see the harm in buying a small amount of candy. 
I am not sure about there, but the two states I've lived in, foodstamps roll over to the next month. I would probably let them roll over because Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM
$2 a month can make a difference really? It won't make a difference because they are still getting the same amt. of FS regardless of what they buy with it. Also I think EVERY child deserves a treat now and then. Just because they are on FS does not change that a treat in moderation is actually not a bad thing.

Also I am NOT ignorant we eat 95% healthy always. I make everything from scratch, eat out maybe once a month usually less. We eat very little to none processed foods.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It can make a difference, but I wouldn't expect someone defending junk food on FS to understand why.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN