Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I spend my food stamps on candy.

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
  • 298 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I think it's a great idea :-)

I don't think it's a good idea at all. Foodstamps should be spent on healthy food ONLY.

I don't care one way or the other what you do with your food stamps.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 179

View Results

For everyone who complains about people spending their food stamps on junk ;-)

This is the best reward system I've come up with so far. Each of my kids has a marble jar with four lines drawn on them. Whenever they complete a chore or do something nice, they get a marble. When the jar is filled up to the first line, they earn .50, up to 2.00.

Now because we're poor, we have food stamps and of course the kids want to spend their "money" on candy, so that's what we do. And the best part? They aren't allowed to have junk food unless they earn it so instead of the kids begging for sweets at the store and me being the bad guy by saying no, they're hard at work doing chores and nice things to get the candy instead :-)

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM
4 moms liked this

Whatever works in your house. :)

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I don't care what people spend their food stamps on.
personally I didn't let my kids buy candy. I was in charge of food in our home. I am a thrifty,healthy - minded ,nutritionally aware person and we didn't live to eat. We eat to live. And we never overate. Fortunately we didn't need food stamps even though we were a militaryfamily because we "pinched pennies "and didn't buy luxuries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

My mom used to use the reward jar on us! It was a great system! Though we didn't get candy, my mom loathed candy, but we got little toys. A doll or a ball, etc...

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

who on earth is going to say you can't reward your kids with a little bit of candy that they have earned? I think that is a great idea. I don't think people should have to live minimalist lives.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever works best in your house

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM
5 moms liked this

Oh Lord. I guess you are tired of Romney posts and want a thread bashing you and poor choices.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Oh Lord. I guess you are tired of Romney posts and want a thread bashing you and poor choices.

I don't know if you read any of the Post before yours. Or looked at the Poll.

But it doesn't seem like a thread bashing her or her choices.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I don't give a crap

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I did.   And we know this will devolve into that.  She made a eye catching title to stir up people who are frankly tired of people who make statements like that, whether they are real or trolling.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I don't know if you read any of the Post before yours. Or looked at the Poll.

But it doesn't seem like a thread bashing her or her choices.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I don't know...I guess I'm more of moderation sort of person. We eat healthy in this house but we also indulge some too. I myself enjoy a couple cans of soda a day but I mostly drink bottles of water. Same with the kids. They live on those mini bottles of water and my dd's fav snack is edemamas (?) straight from the pod :-)

Did you allow your kids to eat sweets sometimes too?

Quoting lga1965:

I don't care what people spend their food stamps on.
personally I didn't let my kids buy candy. I was in charge of food in our home. I am a thrifty,healthy - minded ,nutritionally aware person and we didn't live to eat. We eat to live. And we never overate. Fortunately we didn't need food stamps even though we were a militaryfamily because we "pinched pennies "and didn't buy luxuries.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured