Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I spend my food stamps on candy.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

I think it's a great idea :-)

I don't think it's a good idea at all. Foodstamps should be spent on healthy food ONLY.

I don't care one way or the other what you do with your food stamps.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 179

View Results

For everyone who complains about people spending their food stamps on junk ;-)

This is the best reward system I've come up with so far. Each of my kids has a marble jar with four lines drawn on them. Whenever they complete a chore or do something nice, they get a marble. When the jar is filled up to the first line, they earn .50, up to 2.00.

Now because we're poor, we have food stamps and of course the kids want to spend their "money" on candy, so that's what we do. And the best part? They aren't allowed to have junk food unless they earn it so instead of the kids begging for sweets at the store and me being the bad guy by saying no, they're hard at work doing chores and nice things to get the candy instead :-)

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Replies (261-270):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM

You're still obligated to write it in.

Quoting viv212:

Right. But what if you just leave that blank if you're getting cash for those services.
Quoting EireLass:

When she files her taxes every year, there is a place for her to write in any amount of other monies earned. She would then be responsible to pay taxes on that amount.

Quoting viv212:

But you don't get taxed on it do you? If it's under the table, I wouldn't report it.
Quoting paganbaby:

Well they say I have to report any income I make.

Quoting viv212:

Why would you report that? I wouldn't.
Quoting paganbaby:

Wait a minute, you do know that I make my own money right? In addition to homeschooling my kids, I also babysit and walk dogs. I make roughly 100$ a month. Not enough to really effect my fs but I report it anyways. So I guess by some peoples standards, I do work at home. We've tried medication and therapy but they didn't work. Keeping him at home has yeilded the greatest results so far. And my husband works evenings so a night job is out of the question.

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM
But if you don't, they won't know unless someone reported it

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Right. But what if you just leave that blank if you're getting cash for those services.

Quoting EireLass:

When she files her taxes every year, there is a place for her to write in any amount of other monies earned. She would then be responsible to pay taxes on that amount.

Quoting viv212:

But you don't get taxed on it do you? If it's under the table, I wouldn't report it.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Wait a minute, you do know that I make my own money right? In addition to homeschooling my kids, I also babysit and walk dogs. I make roughly 100$ a month. Not enough to really effect my fs but I report it anyways. So I guess by some peoples standards, I do work at home. We've tried medication and therapy but they didn't work. Keeping him at home has yeilded the greatest results so far. And my husband works evenings so a night job is out of the question.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I was like that: when my kids were moaning on the floor 'cause their tummies were upset from drinking pop on an empty stomach, I'd say 'weird, I wonder what causes that?' They figured it out.

Quoting paganbaby:

My mom did it to me. Not a whole week but a day. I was allowed to eat as much candy, chips junk and soda as I wanted. That night I was soo miserable! I asked her, "Why didn't you tell me no??" Suffice to say, i learned my lesson.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's it exactly.

The number of people respond to this by saying 'but your kids are not like my kids, they'd eat nothing at all but candy for a month.'

To which one pundit I read a number of years ago responds: wanna bet?

No one who believes that dark 'truth' about their kids has ever actually tried it.

Have you ever tried eating nothing but garbage for a week? 

It's horrible.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting LindaClement:

I don't, either. In fact, my kids are totally blase about the subject now, because it was 'around' --not a bribe or bait or some forbidden fruit.

I was responding to the idea that it's used as a bribe: you do what you don't want to do, you can have what I don't want you to have.

My kids got money to learn how to use money. They got junk food pretty rarely because it wasn't, mostly, in our budget or our house... when it was (like after Halloween, or whatever) they could eat as much of it as they wanted, whenever they wanted to.

Interestingly, although they were free to eat as much as they wanted, they always asked if they could, and always only a bit at a time ... which is kind of the opposite of how the Experts suggest it will inevitably go if someone doesn't maintain vigilant control over them.

Quoting paganbaby:

I don't think eating candy occasionally is a bad thing. Same as having a drink every now and then. It's when unhealthy habits are taken to the extreme that it becomes an issue.

Quoting LindaClement:

I wouldn't have chosen 'things I don't want in your body for your health's sake' as rewards.

Under any circumstances. Not even some imaginary ones where I believed rewards 'worked' toward a single one of my goals as a parent.

This is how Halloween and Easter candy is handled in my house too. Their ziplock bags of candy have been sitting on the counter since ToT, and they have not even asked for a piece in a few days. I would guess it's because it's not some "forbidden fruit" for them to covet, the whole "you want what you can't have" thing. 

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Well, some people don't like being thieves and liars.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Yep,lol.

Quoting LindaClement:

I was like that: when my kids were moaning on the floor 'cause their tummies were upset from drinking pop on an empty stomach, I'd say 'weird, I wonder what causes that?' They figured it out.

Quoting paganbaby:

My mom did it to me. Not a whole week but a day. I was allowed to eat as much candy, chips junk and soda as I wanted. That night I was soo miserable! I asked her, "Why didn't you tell me no??" Suffice to say, i learned my lesson.

Quoting LindaClement:

That's it exactly.

The number of people respond to this by saying 'but your kids are not like my kids, they'd eat nothing at all but candy for a month.'

To which one pundit I read a number of years ago responds: wanna bet?

No one who believes that dark 'truth' about their kids has ever actually tried it.

Have you ever tried eating nothing but garbage for a week? 

It's horrible.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting LindaClement:

I don't, either. In fact, my kids are totally blase about the subject now, because it was 'around' --not a bribe or bait or some forbidden fruit.

I was responding to the idea that it's used as a bribe: you do what you don't want to do, you can have what I don't want you to have.

My kids got money to learn how to use money. They got junk food pretty rarely because it wasn't, mostly, in our budget or our house... when it was (like after Halloween, or whatever) they could eat as much of it as they wanted, whenever they wanted to.

Interestingly, although they were free to eat as much as they wanted, they always asked if they could, and always only a bit at a time ... which is kind of the opposite of how the Experts suggest it will inevitably go if someone doesn't maintain vigilant control over them.

Quoting paganbaby:

I don't think eating candy occasionally is a bad thing. Same as having a drink every now and then. It's when unhealthy habits are taken to the extreme that it becomes an issue.

Quoting LindaClement:

I wouldn't have chosen 'things I don't want in your body for your health's sake' as rewards.

Under any circumstances. Not even some imaginary ones where I believed rewards 'worked' toward a single one of my goals as a parent.

This is how Halloween and Easter candy is handled in my house too. Their ziplock bags of candy have been sitting on the counter since ToT, and they have not even asked for a piece in a few days. I would guess it's because it's not some "forbidden fruit" for them to covet, the whole "you want what you can't have" thing. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Unless the person paying writes it in as an expense.

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Ok I think we are saying the same thing.  lol

"Under the table" income still needs to be reported, to not do so is against the law.

Quoting viv212:

Yeah... Am I wrong?

It is illegal but yes, that is what I'm saying.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Wait a minute, you do know that I make my own money right? In addition to homeschooling my kids, I also babysit and walk dogs. I make roughly 100$ a month. Not enough to really effect my fs but I report it anyways. So I guess by some peoples standards, I do work at home.

We've tried medication and therapy but they didn't work. Keeping him at home has yeilded the greatest results so far.

And my husband works evenings so a night job is out of the question.

Do you think "under the table" means income that does not have to be reported?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

That is against the law, you would have to pray that you did not get audited.

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Some. There's bad people in every group.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Well, some people don't like being thieves and liars.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM
I agree.

Quoting EireLass:

Unless the person paying writes it in as an expense.

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting viv212:

Quoting paganbaby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN