Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: God or Evolution?

Options:

God

Evolution

Both

Neither

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 193

View Results

I'm just curious to know what the next generation will believe. Seems like evolution is what the schools will be teaching. I've been researching this for many years and I feel the evolution theory is as far from being proven as the creation myth-theory.  I'm just wondering what this next generation of mothers will be teaching their kids (I exposed my children to both, but they are grown now). I'm researching this for my next book.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Nancy Madore

www.nmadore.com

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
caito
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

No god. Evolution 100%.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I am going with other because it there is more to it.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Why can't they believe in both?  I didn't vote in the poll because I think Science and God go hand in hand. 

***edit*** shame on me for reading too quickly.... as far as creationism and evolution in a scientific only context... my vote is evolution.  Evolution is a scientific theory.  Creationism is not.  Evolution belongs in a Science class.  Creationism belongs in a religious studies/social studies class. 

NancyMadore
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm going with science because it has a shit ton of evidence. An over whelming amount of evidence. A staggering amount of evidence. I ridiculous amount of evidence. 

That's what we've been told. But I have been researching it and there are actually more questions than answers in the evolution theory. There are a few links between a few species. Not enough to justify the claims that have been made. 

The only conclusive evidence appears to be that SOMETHING existed before the Adam and Eve claims. But this doesn't prove evolution. It only proves that a story written by a man thousands of years ago may not be true.

People think it's a choice between religion and science. But the God question might have nothing to do with religion, and as for science, ask yourself this: if this was a medical treatment, would the amount of 'proof' they have for evolution be enough for you to take the drug and risk your life on it?

NancyMadore
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Why can't they believe in both?  I didn't vote in the poll because I think Science and God go hand in hand. 

***edit*** shame on me for reading too quickly.... as far as creationism and evolution... my vote is evolution.  Evolution is a scientific theory.  Creationism is not.  Evolution belongs in a Science class.  Creationsim belongs in a religious studies/social studies class. 

Yes! I didn't even think of that. Sorry!

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Must they be mutually exclusive? 

I will teach my son about science, and about faith, and I expect he will learn and accept the difference, as I have.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

There's no need to be sorry :)

Quoting NancyMadore:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

***edit*** shame on me for reading too quickly.... as far as creationism and evolution... my vote is evolution.  Evolution is a scientific theory.  Creationism is not.  Evolution belongs in a Science class.  Creationsim belongs in a religious studies/social studies class. 

Yes! I didn't even think of that. Sorry!

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting NancyMadore:

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm going with science because it has a shit ton of evidence. An over whelming amount of evidence. A staggering amount of evidence. I ridiculous amount of evidence. 

That's what we've been told. But I have been researching it and there are actually more questions than answers in the evolution theory. There are a few links between a few species. Not enough to justify the claims that have been made. 

The only conclusive evidence appears to be that SOMETHING existed before the Adam and Eve claims. But this doesn't prove evolution. It only proves that a story written by a man thousands of years ago may not be true.

People think it's a choice between religion and science. But the God question might have nothing to do with religion, and as for science, ask yourself this: if this was a medical treatment, would the amount of 'proof' they have for evolution be enough for you to take the drug and risk your life on it?

I'm assuming you  mean the theory of natural selection. Evolution simply means change over time. Natural selection is the mechanism by which evolution occurs and is the theory put forth by Darwin. 

There is ample evidence for natural selection. Mounds and mounds of it, in fact. 

Understanding and accepting science does not preclude a belief in god, of course. But your own original question made it seem that you think it does. 

Kaya529
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM
I voted evolution but most of my family would have said both.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm with the Catholic Church on this one. Both.

"The question about the origins of the world and of man has been the object of many scientific studies which have splendidly enriched our knowledge of the age and dimensions of the cosmos, the development of life-forms and the appearance of man. These discoveries invite us to even greater admiration for the greatness of the Creator, prompting us to give him thanks for all his works and for the understanding and wisdom he gives to scholars and researchers" (Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 283).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)