Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM
  • 84 Replies

Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win

By James O'Toole @CNNMoney November 9, 2012: 4:56 PM ET

Coal miners look on as Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney speaks during a campaign rally at Ohio's American Energy Corportation, a Murray subsidiary, in August.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- A coal company headed by a prominent Mitt Romney donor has laid off more than 160 workers in response to President Obama's election victory.

Murray Energy said Friday that it had been "forced" to make the layoffs in response to the bleak prospects for the coal industry during Obama's second term. In a prayer circulated by the company, CEO Robert Murray said Americans had voted "in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom."

"The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals [sic] of our Founders," Murray said in the prayer, which was delivered in a meeting with staff members earlier this week.

"Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corporation for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build."

Murray cited pending regulations from the Environmental Protection Agency and the possibility of a carbon tax as factors that could lead to the "total destruction of the coal industry by as early as 2030." One hundred and two layoffs are planned for Murray operations in Utah, with 54 from Illinois and seven from West Virginia.

In August, Murray shuttered an operation in Ohio, again blaming the Obama Administration and its alleged "war on coal."

Mitt Romney echoed this line on the campaign trail, accusing Obama of undermining the country's energy security during a rally at a Murray-owned mine in Ohio.

Footagefrom the rally was used in a Romney ad. Workers in the spot later complained to a local radio host that they were forced to attend the rally and weren't paid for the time, claims denied by Murray Energy.

Related: What's to blame for lost coal jobs

Administration officials responded to Romney's attacks by affirming that Obama supports "clean coal." They also pointed out that more coal miners were on the job in the U.S. this year than at any time since 1997, and that U.S. coal exports have risen 31%.

Domestically, however, coal production has dropped sharply, falling roughly 15% in 2011 versus years prior, according to the National Mining Association.

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this

What a royal douche canoe. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Probably in preparation for Obama's promised bankruptcy on coal production.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I will be curious to seeof any defense contractors issue letters of intent to lay off employees in the coming weeks. Well, currious and terrified, seeing as how I work for one andammy family's only income atm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Many in the business community made it perfectly clear a second Obama term would result in companies being forced to cut their workforce.  So democrats should whine because this is what they voted for and it's Obama responsibility to get out there and create all those jobs he has promised a second time. 

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Boeing sent out letters already.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I will be curious to seeof any defense contractors issue letters of intent to lay off employees in the coming weeks. Well, currious and terrified, seeing as how I work for one andammy family's only income atm.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Before or after the election?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Actually, they already have been. They have to, because as things stand now sequestration hits the first week of January. The contractors have to give two months' notice, so of course that means it goes out now.

The notices can be rescinded if Congress and the President reach an agreement to avoid sequestration. 

What you see happening is like laying in the supplies in anticipation of a hurricane. The storm might just miss you but you have to be prepared anyway.

EDITED TO ADD: These notices from contractors would have gone out no matter who was elected. It's simply a matter of timing and nothing more than that.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I think it was Thursday.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I know those letters are legally mandated but I had also heard that the Administration asked companies not to issue them until after the election.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Actually, they already have been. They have to, because as things stand now sequestration hits the first week of January. The contractors have to give two months' notice, so of course that means it goes out now.

The notices can be rescinded if Congress and the President reach an agreement to avoid sequestration. 

What you see happening is like laying in the supplies in anticipation of a hurricane. The storm might just miss you but you have to be prepared anyway.

EDITED TO ADD: These notices from contractors would have gone out no matter who was elected. It's simply a matter of timing and nothing more than that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Thursday? Would that not be LESS than the mandated 2 mos notice required by law, then?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I think it was Thursday.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)