Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win

Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win

By James O'Toole @CNNMoney November 9, 2012: 4:56 PM ET

Coal miners look on as Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney speaks during a campaign rally at Ohio's American Energy Corportation, a Murray subsidiary, in August.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- A coal company headed by a prominent Mitt Romney donor has laid off more than 160 workers in response to President Obama's election victory.

Murray Energy said Friday that it had been "forced" to make the layoffs in response to the bleak prospects for the coal industry during Obama's second term. In a prayer circulated by the company, CEO Robert Murray said Americans had voted "in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom."

"The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals [sic] of our Founders," Murray said in the prayer, which was delivered in a meeting with staff members earlier this week.

"Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corporation for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build."

Murray cited pending regulations from the Environmental Protection Agency and the possibility of a carbon tax as factors that could lead to the "total destruction of the coal industry by as early as 2030." One hundred and two layoffs are planned for Murray operations in Utah, with 54 from Illinois and seven from West Virginia.

In August, Murray shuttered an operation in Ohio, again blaming the Obama Administration and its alleged "war on coal."

Mitt Romney echoed this line on the campaign trail, accusing Obama of undermining the country's energy security during a rally at a Murray-owned mine in Ohio.

Footagefrom the rally was used in a Romney ad. Workers in the spot later complained to a local radio host that they were forced to attend the rally and weren't paid for the time, claims denied by Murray Energy.

Related: What's to blame for lost coal jobs

Administration officials responded to Romney's attacks by affirming that Obama supports "clean coal." They also pointed out that more coal miners were on the job in the U.S. this year than at any time since 1997, and that U.S. coal exports have risen 31%.

Domestically, however, coal production has dropped sharply, falling roughly 15% in 2011 versus years prior, according to the National Mining Association.

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (81-84):
USBrit
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:25 PM

BUT, the United States is a FREE Nation, and as such we are free to choose what we would like to do for our income. If you read further, there are many other jobs that are also dangerous.....Fishing, Oil, Construction, Sanitation work, Logging....etc. etc, the list goes on. I think that if we believe that we are free to choose what we do for a living, then we make choices for ourselves that may include some risk....that is what true freedom is all about. I personally want to be able to make that choice without government telling me that won't let me. Otherwise, we would also get rid of sugar, smoking, drinking, driving......where would it end. Maybe we should just not even get out of bed in the morning....you just don't know what danger is lurking around that corner. We all have a responsibility to be alert when choosing a career that may have some danger, just as we do when driving our automobile when a deer, dog, or other driver ends up in front of our own vehicle. Life is full of risks and danger, each of us should choose what we will accept for ourselves without looking to a government agency to do that for us. RESPONSIBILITY  COMES WITH FREEDOM !

Quoting tuplamama:

Quoting USBrit:

Nobody ever died from being around a chunk of coal, but believe me nuclear waste has an effect on anyone that lives nearby. Yes, Coal workers have a higher risk of lung cancer, but no more than smokers and maybe even quite a bit less because of all the precautions on the job.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, mining remains the second most dangerous occupation in America....not to mention all the environmental impacts.

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

http://www.aweo.org/problemwithwind.html

http://www.masterresource.org/2010/12/german-offshore-wind-problems/

These websites seem to support what Wisconsin says about their wind turbines. So, I guess there are issues if you look for them. Anyone that supports wind turbines can leave out the health issues. Would anyone want this in their backyard. I know I wouldn't!!

Quoting tuplamama:

Studies I talked about are public information. Easily searched and found also online. I do not live in USA, nor do I know or have any opinion about the organisation in Wisconsin. I was just pointing out that there are studies - independant studies -  in Europe and for example in Australia giving different results.

Quoting USBrit:

So the Wisconsin website that did the research "lied" and all the folks that have lots of issues with their health due to being close to the wind turbines is all false too. Strange that anyone would spend so much time with research just to broadcast it in an extensive way just to deceive all of us. AND can YOU honestly speak for the entire of Europe without anything to back it up. I at least provided a website that anyone can spend time reading and making a decision for themselves about what to believe. But, you are allowed to your thoughts, just as I am. In case anyone else is interested in reading for themselves.....

http://betterplan.squarespace.com/

Quoting tuplamama:

Quoting USBrit:

They also talk about how we should learn from European countries and the fact that they are now concerned about the health issues with all their windfarms, but especially Germany!

Actually we here in Europe have done several indeoendant studies in different countries - including Denmark and Germany - all with same results; no damage to health.

lga1965
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

That's true. It seems they have been so intent on preserving their power and control and superiority in the BIG OIL business and their refineries and making billions of dollars as a result that they have done everything they can to bring down the wind power industry and electric car development and the solar power endeavors. They would rather pollute our air and water just so they can continue to rake in the big bucks. The so-called wind turbine (farm )syndrome is so phony I don't see why anyone takes it seriously.

Quoting MorganTho:

Those industries in Wisconsin have been undermined by Koch brothers.

Quoting USBrit:

So the Wisconsin website that did the research "lied" and all the folks that have lots of issues with their health due to being close to the wind turbines is all false too. Strange that anyone would spend so much time with research just to broadcast it in an extensive way just to deceive all of us. AND can YOU honestly speak for the entire of Europe without anything to back it up. I at least provided a website that anyone can spend time reading and making a decision for themselves about what to believe. But, you are allowed to your thoughts, just as I am. In case anyone else is interested in reading for themselves.....

http://betterplan.squarespace.com/

Quoting tuplamama:

Quoting USBrit:

They also talk about how we should learn from European countries and the fact that they are now concerned about the health issues with all their windfarms, but especially Germany!

Actually we here in Europe have done several indeoendant studies in different countries - including Denmark and Germany - all with same results; no damage to health.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM

It's a shame there aren't enough people in DC brave enough to push to legalize industrial hemp. It might not cure all our problems but it could help. I've also read Germany, among others are getting quite a bit out of solar power. In Israel, who we support financially, solar water heaters are required by building codes. Why can't we do that here?

I love the ladies using blogs from energy concerns to prove how deadly wind power is. I'm sure the oil and coal industries don't have any reason to dissuade people from using alternative energy. That's pure sarcasm in case anyone missed it. It's like the studies disproving climate change all seem to be funded by oil, coal and natural gas concerns. It does make one wonder.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)