Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

LA Urging Meatless Mondays

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM
  • 35 Replies

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/10/15068169-meatless-mondays-la-urges-residents-to-turn-vegetarian-one-day-a-week?lite

'Meatless Mondays': LA urges residents to turn vegetarian one day a week

By Melissa Pamer, NBCLosAngeles.com

Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian - at least one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been declared "Meatless Mondays."

It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for health and environmental reasons.

Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.

Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes, noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate, kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.

"Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most common illnesses," Perry said.

"We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.

Her motion posted 12-0 in a council session Friday.

Reyes said it is easy for individuals to feel helpless in the face of issues as big as global warming or the obesity epidemic, "but the small changes we make every day can have a tremendous impact. That's why this 'Meatless Monday' resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the animals and the environment, one plate at a time.''

The council resolution referred to the link between livestock and environmental problem, and noted that reduced consumption of animal-based foods can "lower our carbon footprint."

The decision was made "in support of comprehensive sustainability efforts as well as to further encourage residents to eat a more varied plant-based diet to protect their health, protect animals and protect the environment."

The resolution also pointed to statistics showing more than half of Los Angeles County residents are obese or overweight, and stated reduced meat consumption can lower health risks.

So, does anyone think this will help?

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

What a silly issue to promote when their city and state is floundering.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I think it's a great idea.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

What a silly issue to promote when their city and state is floundering.

I found it interesting in contrast with New York City's heavy hand with health issues, making things illegal to purchase.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

I think it's a great idea.

I know you're in California, have you heard much discussion on this in your local news?

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a great idea, too. The Standard American Diet that most people eat is way too heavy on meat and animal proteins, and it has a heavy impact on our health and the environment. People don't need to go vegetarian, but if we all reduced our meat consumption--just by 10% or 15%--it would make a big difference. No one NEEDS to eat meat every day, let alone at every meal, unless they have severe food allergies that significantly limit what foods they can eat. (I do have a friend who's like this--she's allergic to gluten, soy, corn AND dairy, so she eats a lot of plain grilled chicken, fish and steak. But even she doesn't eat meat at every meal.)

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand the reasoning behind this.  

Do I think it will help?  Not really.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I like the idea- and it's a few years old.

My own daughter formulated a MM program for the HS where she teaches- schools who comply get some sort of International accredidation.

There is a member here (Poodles) who started this in her own family. I believe that she has extended her efforts to 2Xs a week.

We are meatless about 3Xs a week- and of the remaining 4, white meat is on the menu most of the time.

Help obesity? No. Eating right and exercising is too big of a lifetime commitment for many.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

I like the idea- and it's a few years old.

My own daughter formulated a MM program for the HS where she teaches- schools who comply get some sort of International accredidation.

There is a member here (Poodles) who started this in her own family. I believe that she has extended her efforts to 2Xs a week.

We are meatless about 3Xs a week- and of the remaining 4, white meat is on the menu most of the time.

Help obesity? No. Eating right and exercising is too big of a lifetime commitment for many.

One of my daughters is a vegetarian, so every day is Meatless Monday for her.

Two of us are low-carb eaters, so everyday we eat animal proteins.

I am considering, though, making one day meat free, and just egg and dairy.  It is very hard when you are doing low carb, and my doctor thinks it is best.

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

It's neat that the city is supporting this. 

Meatless Mondays have been "a thing" for a while, but only in certain circles, so to speak. Having a large city endorse such a thing is great. I don't think there's going to be some huge immediate effect, with everyone in city going meatless on certain days. But I do think it's very important in terms of the national dialogue and food. Having things like this in the public conscious does have long terms effects. It shapes the culture. 

I think it's a good thing. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

In the case of my daughter, her school is in So America- the teachers all dine with the students, and the largest most formal meal of the day is served mid day. Many of the teachers were angry, even though the meals are part of work compensation by law- some even had take out food delivered to the school, but the Principal but a stop to that practice.

My daughter said some of the teacher even admitted to altering the signs hung around the campus from Meatless to Eat less Monday.

People are resistant to change...it's universal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)