Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Happy Veterans Day

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM
  • 24 Replies
3 moms liked this

I went through two pages of posts, and there is no mention that today is Veterans Day, despite the fact that virtually everyone in this group knows someone is in the military, or is a veteran of the US Armed Forces. So...here is my shout-out to our vets, present and past.

Who are the vets in your family?

Both of my grandfathers served in the US Army. My grandfather Ralph ("Papa") served from 1942 - 1945 in the South Pacific during WWII---he was an E-6 assigned to an infantry unit. Grandpa Richard ("Dick") served from 1947 - 1950 as a cook in Germany; he was an E-4.

My uncle Larry served in the Marines in Vietnam as an infantryman; he was honorably discharged as an E-5 and served from 1965 - 1968.

Uncle Ron served in the US Air Force during Vietnam, but didn't actually serve in-country, instead he served in Nebraska and the Phillipines. He served from 1967 - 1971.

Uncle Roy served in the Florida National Guard in the early 80s, so he isn't technically a veteran because he never served on active duty, but I feel he's worth mentioning.

Both of my son's great-grandfathers (who are both still living) served in WWII. Great-grandpa "Lucky" served in an Army tank division in Germany as an E-4. Great-grandpa Mel served 10 years in the Navy as a fighter pilot (O-3) from 1944 - 1954, and 10 years in the Air Force as an E-6 avionics instructor, and was allowed to retire as an O-3 in 1964 from the Air Force, as O-3 was the highest rank he held on active dury.

I personally served in the US Air Force on active duty from June 13, 2001 - November 18, 2003. I was honorably discharged as an E-3, and served in the Operation Southern Focus bombing campaign.

(November 2003 in San Francisco, California)

Let's hear about the veterans you know! Feel free to share pictures.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM
3 moms liked this

This is before he left for this last deployment, goofing off at our old place. 

He's home now, but I don't have any pictures of him in uniform since then. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM
5 moms liked this

My paternal Grandfather was in the Army during the Korean war, Uncle served in the Coast Guard for 20 years, Brother is a Marine who served for five years, spent 9 months in Iraq. I currently serve in the Coast Guard, 5 and half years so far. Happy Veterans Day!

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
No vets in my family. We are mostly in academia.

Thank you to those who have served in the past and who are currently serving. Thank you to the spouses who endure so much alone and unrecognized. Thank you to the children who sacrifice their traditional childhood so their parent/s can serve. I am in awe of your selfless dedication. Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Bumpity, bump!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Happy Veterans Day to the Americans, and a solemn Remembrance Day to my fellow Canadians.

No living veterans in my family. My maternal grandfather served during WW2, but didn't go overseas. My paternal grandfather was too young, he was only 13 on 1945, plus he lost a finger and half his thumb when he was a kid so he wouldn't have been able to serve anyway.

Today is a solemn, somber day about thankfulness and remembrance (hence the name) and not a celebratory one, here in Canada.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I am a vet and come from a long line of Veterans. Both of my grandfathers and their brothers served in the military during WWII  My grandmother was a WAC in WWII, My father and his brother both served during the Vietnam era. Both of my Ex-father-inlaws served in the military one during the Koran war and one during the  Vietnam war. I have another Uncle who Served in the British RAF. I am the oldest of 5 kids - 4 out of the 5 served. We have been busy today celebrating and talking shit about the time we served. Common thread in my family seriously we made war time fun - seriously laughing my ass off at some of my dad's positive Vietnam stories - yes they exist. - oh and one of my brothers has almost the same story of craziness just different conflict different era lol.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM

way to go coasty

Quoting stringtheory:

My paternal Grandfather was in the Army during the Korean war, Uncle served in the Coast Guard for 20 years, Brother is a Marine who served for five years, spent 9 months in Iraq. I currently serve in the Coast Guard, 5 and half years so far. Happy Veterans Day!

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this

My grandpa was a marine. He served during Vietnam (not deployed, he stayed stateside)

My dad was active duty in the Army for 13 years, served in Iraq as a medic, and is now in the National Guard. My brother is in the National Guard.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My great-uncle is a WWII vet.  He served in the Pacific Theater.

My dad:  Peace-time Navy, stationed in pre-Castro Cuba.

2 uncles:  Vietnam era vets; one in-country, the other in Guam.

Me:  Peace-time Army.

I don't have any photos to share though.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Happy Veterans Day to my bro, even if he is a know it all tool, LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)