Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should 98% of America lose tax cuts because the GOP/Top2%?

Obama To Boehner: Higher Taxes On The Wealthy Or The Bush Tax Cuts Expire

132192

President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner have each made cursory appeals to cooperation in the wake of Tuesday’s election. But they’re still making incompatible demands about the tax code. And on Friday, President Obama made clear that if Republicans reject the policy goal he campaigned on, all of the Bush tax cuts will expire.

“If we’re serious about reducing the deficit we have to combine spending cuts with revenue, and that means asking the wealthy to pay a little more in taxes,” Obama said in public remarks at the White House. “Right now if Congress fails to come to an agreement on an overall deficit reduction package by the end of the year, everybody’s taxes will automatically go up on January 1.”

In both 2008 and 2012, Obama campaigned on the goal of allowing the Bush tax cuts that exclusively benefit top earners to expire. That would increase the top marginal tax rate from 35 percent to 39.6 percent next year. But Boehner and other Republicans want tax rates off the table and GOP aides suggest higher tax rates can’t pass the Republican House.

In his first post-election press conference, a couple of hours before the President’s statement, Boehner also indicated his willingness to compromise — though he reiterated Republican opposition to raising tax rates. “On Wednesday, I outlined a responsible path forward to avert the fiscal cliff without raising tax rates,” Boehner said.

“There is no mandate for raising tax rates on the American people,” House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said in a Wednesday statement. “There is a mandate for avoiding the fiscal cliff and finding real solutions so we can make life work for people again.”

Obama did leave modest room for negotiations. “I’m not going to ask students and seniors and middle class families to pay down the entire deficit while people like me making over $250,000 aren’t asked to pay a dime more in taxes,” he said.

Boehner could meet Obama’s demand without raising tax rates by limiting tax expenditure benefits for high income people. But for now, Boehner has only suggested that revenues from this sort of base broadening should be used to lower tax rates. Obama, by contrast, is asking the House to pass a Senate bill that would isolate the Bush tax cuts for top earners and allow them to expire.

“The Senate has already passed a bill doing exactly this, so all we need is action from the House,” Obama said. “And I’ve got the pen, ready to sign the bill right away.”

In an official statement, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, echoed the President. “The Senate passed a bill to cut taxes for Americans making less than $250,000, and the House should pass it immediately.”

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was even more blunt. “He will veto any bill extending Bush era tax cuts for the top two percent of wage earners in this country.”

That leaves the onus on Boehner to either pass that bill, or find an equivalent way to take the same amount of new revenue from high income earners. So far, he and other GOP leaders seem unwilling.

“”The increased tax rates that would be allowed under the Senate-passed bill are part of the fiscal cliff that economists are warning us to avoid,” Boehner said in response to the Presidents remarks. “Those increased tax rates will destroy jobs in America by hurting small businesses across the country.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was more strident. “[T]here is no consensus on raising tax rates, which would undermine the jobs and growth we all believe are important to our economy,” McConnell said. “While I appreciate and share the President’s desire to put the election behind us, the fact is we still have yet to hear an actual plan from the President for addressing the great economic challenges we face. What’s needed now is a realistic and specific proposal from the President that can actually pass the Congress.”

They’ve left themselves some wiggle room. But if they don’t squeeze themselves through it, Obama said, everyone’s taxes go up at the end of the year.


Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Replies (251-260):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this

If you think about it. It's the best move.

Because President Obama is offering to extend the Taxes on 98% of America. If the GOP/Republicans refuse to accept it based on the Top 2% not getting it. It paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans putting the Top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

So if his proposal goes through great. And if it doesn't it paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans puttin gthe top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

There is no way around it since President Obama is asking for extentions on 98% of America.

They are both playing the same game, "Give me what I want or else no one gets the Tax Cuts". The only different President Obama is doing it for 98% of America and the GOP/Republicans are doing it for 2% of America.


Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

He's going to destroy the middle class trying to force the hand of the upper . Such a genius we have for a president


Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM
The people like you who demonize one party and cannonize the other Already think that so no, the People who will be hurt by BOTH parties being stubborn asses.


Quoting brookiecookie87:

If you think about it. It's the best move.

Because President Obama is offering to extend the Taxes on 98% of America. If the GOP/Republicans refuse to accept it based on the Top 2% not getting it. It paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans putting the Top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

So if his proposal goes through great. And if it doesn't it paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans puttin gthe top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

There is no way around it since President Obama is asking for extentions on 98% of America.

They are both playing the same game, "Give me what I want or else no one gets the Tax Cuts". The only different President Obama is doing it for 98% of America and the GOP/Republicans are doing it for 2% of America.



Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

He's going to destroy the middle class trying to force the hand of the upper . Such a genius we have for a president



Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM


Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The people like you who demonize one party and cannonize the other Already think that so no, the People who will be hurt by BOTH parties being stubborn asses.


Quoting brookiecookie87:

If you think about it. It's the best move.

Because President Obama is offering to extend the Taxes on 98% of America. If the GOP/Republicans refuse to accept it based on the Top 2% not getting it. It paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans putting the Top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

So if his proposal goes through great. And if it doesn't it paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans puttin gthe top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

There is no way around it since President Obama is asking for extentions on 98% of America.

They are both playing the same game, "Give me what I want or else no one gets the Tax Cuts". The only different President Obama is doing it for 98% of America and the GOP/Republicans are doing it for 2% of America.



Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

He's going to destroy the middle class trying to force the hand of the upper . Such a genius we have for a president

 


So what's the answer? I could see them fighting to retain the tax cuts for the 2% IF not doing so would hurt them but taking into consideration the increase would only be on income ABOVE 250,000 and the fact that most of them obtain the majority of their income from Capital Gains which is taxed at a lower rate and wouldn't be affected by the increase....I really fail to see where the "harm" to them is.

Retaining the tax cut for the 2% isn't all that they are demanding. They also want very deep cuts to the social programs a lot of lower income people depend on. If it was up to them, the social safety net wouldn't even exist...you know..the whole make people responsible for themselves thing, while disregarding the fact that a lot of people have come to need that help because those at the top shipped their jobs offshore for the sake of ever more profit. Those at the top have been doing quite a good job of destroying the middle class for quite some time now.

As for the President taking such a hard line on this...when a child has their hand in the cookie jar repeatedly, at some point, one must put their foot down, take the cookie jar away and say "no more". The 2% has had their hand in the cookie jar for far too long and it's not difficult to see where that has gotten us.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

You consider it demonizing them to say what they are doing?

I am not making a stretch. It's not my opinion. It's what they are doing.

President Obama is trying to extend them for 98% of America.

The GOP/Republicans are rejecting his offer because the Top 2% are not included.

How can they then claim they are worried about 100% of America when they are willing to let the 98% suffer for the Top 2%?

Sure you can flip it and say, "Well President Obama is doing the same thing too".

But again he is doing it for 98% of America. So if you wanted you can be like us and say, "President Obama cares more about 98% of America". Go for it.

But as long as the GOP/Republicans are willing for the 98% to suffer for a chance at the top 2% can get their tax cuts the narrative will be that the GOP/Republicans care more about the top 2%.

This is not demonizing them.

I am not saying they are evil. I am not saying they are bad. I am not saying they are the worst Political Party ever. I am saying they are putting the Top2% above 98% of America. They are doing that.

And I don't believe Democrats are pristine and always right. There are lots of things they have done and are continuing to do that I disagree with.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The people like you who demonize one party and cannonize the other Already think that so no, the People who will be hurt by BOTH parties being stubborn asses.


Quoting brookiecookie87:

If you think about it. It's the best move.

Because President Obama is offering to extend the Taxes on 98% of America. If the GOP/Republicans refuse to accept it based on the Top 2% not getting it. It paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans putting the Top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

So if his proposal goes through great. And if it doesn't it paints the picture of the GOP/Republicans puttin gthe top 2% ahead of 98% of America.

There is no way around it since President Obama is asking for extentions on 98% of America.

They are both playing the same game, "Give me what I want or else no one gets the Tax Cuts". The only different President Obama is doing it for 98% of America and the GOP/Republicans are doing it for 2% of America.



Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

He's going to destroy the middle class trying to force the hand of the upper . Such a genius we have for a president




Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

All of those who want to increase taxes, should take a pledge that they and/or their tax accountants/preppers should NOT take advantage of a single tax loophole/deduction/gift for the next four years.  If they really don't mind tax increases, they should lead by example.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Do you believe taxes should be 0% and based on an honor system on how much you think taxes should be?

Because that is a rather silly system.

Quoting rocketracer:

All of those who want to increase taxes, should take a pledge that they and/or their tax accountants/preppers should NOT take advantage of a single tax loophole/deduction/gift for the next four years.  If they really don't mind tax increases, they should lead by example.


Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree. I don't think this will be good for the democratic or the republican party. Obama is the one who made the promise to not raise taxes on the 98%. Not the GOP. Obama is the one who brought the 98% into the mix. Not the GOP. If Obama allows this to happen, it will be him breaking his own promise, because he doesn't have to allow it to happen.

This is what I think happened with Obama and his peeps: "I want to raise taxes on the top 2%, but the GOP isn't going to let it happen. What can I do? Whhat can I do?? Hmmmm...... I know!!! I will threaten to raise everyones taxes, including the middle class!!"

The middle class was never on the table. The issue was always about the 2%. Who put the middle class on the table?? Obama and only Obama. NOT the GOP.

But, of course, Obama hhas the media on his side who will help him spin it to make the GOP look evil and as if this was their doing. When truly, the only one who did this is Obama.

I am also glad we have finally managed to have a conversation that is intelligent and civil. I may actually like you....a little. ;)


Quoting brookiecookie87:

This is something that is Opinion based so it makes sense for us to disagree on it.

I respect that you have remained civil about the whole matter.

I don't believe that Republicans don't care about anyone but the super rich. But if President Obama says he will extend them for 98% of America and the GOP/Republicans refuse it because the 2% are not included.

It seems pretty clear they care more about the Top2% than the rest of the 98%. Not that they don't care about them at all. Just that they care about the Top 2% more (Even if it is a little more).

I do agree that it is President Obama's 'play'. Because if they agree he wins. And if the Republicans/GOP refuse they will be painted as the people who put the Top 2% over 98% of America. Which is a win for the Democrat party.


Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I am sorry, but I disagree with your point of view. By saying that, essentiially you're saying that republicans don't care about anyone but the super rich, and I don't believe that. I believe republicans care about all ammericans and want to keep taxes low for all.



This is Obam's play. The Repubs NEVER brought the middle classs into it. It's OBAMA that that brought the middle class and the poor into this game. We will see if he really cares. If Obama let's the tax cuts expire, then he will essentially be going back on his word to not raise taxes on anyone making less than $250K a year.



Again, Obama is the POTUS. HE has the power to extend the Bush tax cuts, or raise them for everyone. And since he has shown that it's HIS way or the highway, get ready for higher taxes.





Quoting brookiecookie87:

I already said I agree with that.

President Obama is using the Middle Class to get the middle class (and 98% of America) tax cut Extensions.

The GOP/Republicans are using the Middle Class to get the top 2% tax cut extensions.

Do you see the difference? Again-They are both using the same tactic. The main difference is President Obama's goal is to get the tax cuts extended for 98% of America while the GOP/Republicans are trying to get it for the top 2%.

If the GOP/Republicans were not doing JUST for the 2% they would agree with President Obama's proposal.

But you are wrong. They are not worried about the 98%. They are worried about the top 2%. President Obama doesn't want to tax 98% of America. His Proposal says that.

However, the GOP/Republicans could care less about the other 98% of America. If  they did care about the other 98% and if they were not fighting for JUST the top 2% they would be willing to agree with his proposal. And since some Republicans have been dismissing the No Tax Pledge it seems like some Republicans understand this and want to change it.

I am glad that we can at least agree that they are playing the same game.



Quoting LadyBugMom09:

What I am saying DOES make sense. Obama IS ussing the middle class to try too get his way. He essentially is telling the GOP, do it MY way or I will let the tax cuts expire for everyone.





The GOP is not fighting JUST for the 2%. Tthey are fighting for the 100%. Tax cuts for ALL. They dont want ANYONES taxes to increase. Thats not diffficult to understand. OBAMA is the one that wants to tax the 2% and if he doesn't get his way then HE will tax the 100%.





And if you read my PPs, you would see that I DID say that both the GOP AND Obama are playing a political game of chicken. I CAN admit that.








Quoting brookiecookie87:

But what you are saying doesn't make any sense. What would President Obama have to gain?

He is using the Middle Class (Or 98% of America) to help them keep their Tax Cuts while letting them expire for the Top 2%.

Oppose to the GOP/Republicans who are using the Middle Class (Or 98% of America) to help keep tax extensions for the Top 2%.

If you are refusing to see that President Obama and the GOP/Republicans are doing the same thing then you are blinded by bias. They both want something and they are both willing to let tax cuts expire for everyone for it.

The main difference is President Obama is fighting for the tax cuts to be extended for 98% of America. The GOP/Republicans are fighting for them to be extended for 2% of America.

And that is a HUGE Difference.









Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM

did i say that.....NO! 

The pledge I stated would cause more tax money to be collected from those who want to collect more taxes.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Do you believe taxes should be 0% and based on an honor system on how much you think taxes should be?

Because that is a rather silly system.

Quoting rocketracer:

All of those who want to increase taxes, should take a pledge that they and/or their tax accountants/preppers should NOT take advantage of a single tax loophole/deduction/gift for the next four years.  If they really don't mind tax increases, they should lead by example.

 


brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM

You did say that. You said if they want to pay more then they should pay more. But taxes are not based on an honor system.

No one is saying, "Please allow us to pay more if we choose too". That is vastly different than asking for higher taxes on the top 2%.

So different that when I throw the comparison back at you, you say, "did i say that....NO!" Neither did we.

Quoting rocketracer:

did i say that.....NO! 

The pledge I stated would cause more tax money to be collected from those who want to collect more taxes.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Do you believe taxes should be 0% and based on an honor system on how much you think taxes should be?

Because that is a rather silly system.

Quoting rocketracer:

All of those who want to increase taxes, should take a pledge that they and/or their tax accountants/preppers should NOT take advantage of a single tax loophole/deduction/gift for the next four years.  If they really don't mind tax increases, they should lead by example.




Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

But that is not the case.

It's plain to see that President Obama is trying to extend the tax cuts on the 98%.

The GOP/Republicans are refusing because they want the top 2% to get it too. Which would lead to an increase for everyone. If the GOP/Republicans call his bluff that is their doing. That would not be President Obama's choice. That would be their choice.

If what you were saying is true then the GOP/Republicans would accept the extensions for 98% of America and THEN try and work on getting Tax Extensions/cuts for the top 2%. But they know their best bet is to hold 98% of America hostage and say, "If we do not get it neither do they".

And again if you say President Obama is doing the same thing. I would agree. The main difference is President Obama is focusing on getting 98% of America those extensions. The GOP/Republicans are focused on getting the Top 2% those extensions.

And you do realize the News Network with the highest ratings is Fox News, right? Fox News is not on President Obama's side. And if i go to McDonalds, the Dentist, the doctors off, or a store and there is a TV on it is almost always on Fox News. if I am lucky CNN but almost always Fox News.

I wish my family could understand that you can disagree on Politics and not hate each other :X

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I disagree. I don't think this will be good for the democratic or the republican party. Obama is the one who made the promise to not raise taxes on the 98%. Not the GOP. Obama is the one who brought the 98% into the mix. Not the GOP. If Obama allows this to happen, it will be him breaking his own promise, because he doesn't have to allow it to happen.

This is what I think happened with Obama and his peeps: "I want to raise taxes on the top 2%, but the GOP isn't going to let it happen. What can I do? Whhat can I do?? Hmmmm...... I know!!! I will threaten to raise everyones taxes, including the middle class!!"

The middle class was never on the table. The issue was always about the 2%. Who put the middle class on the table?? Obama and only Obama. NOT the GOP.

But, of course, Obama hhas the media on his side who will help him spin it to make the GOP look evil and as if this was their doing. When truly, the only one who did this is Obama.

I am also glad we have finally managed to have a conversation that is intelligent and civil. I may actually like you....a little. ;)


Quoting brookiecookie87:

This is something that is Opinion based so it makes sense for us to disagree on it.

I respect that you have remained civil about the whole matter.

I don't believe that Republicans don't care about anyone but the super rich. But if President Obama says he will extend them for 98% of America and the GOP/Republicans refuse it because the 2% are not included.

It seems pretty clear they care more about the Top2% than the rest of the 98%. Not that they don't care about them at all. Just that they care about the Top 2% more (Even if it is a little more).

I do agree that it is President Obama's 'play'. Because if they agree he wins. And if the Republicans/GOP refuse they will be painted as the people who put the Top 2% over 98% of America. Which is a win for the Democrat party.


Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I am sorry, but I disagree with your point of view. By saying that, essentiially you're saying that republicans don't care about anyone but the super rich, and I don't believe that. I believe republicans care about all ammericans and want to keep taxes low for all.



This is Obam's play. The Repubs NEVER brought the middle classs into it. It's OBAMA that that brought the middle class and the poor into this game. We will see if he really cares. If Obama let's the tax cuts expire, then he will essentially be going back on his word to not raise taxes on anyone making less than $250K a year.



Again, Obama is the POTUS. HE has the power to extend the Bush tax cuts, or raise them for everyone. And since he has shown that it's HIS way or the highway, get ready for higher taxes.





Quoting brookiecookie87:

I already said I agree with that.

President Obama is using the Middle Class to get the middle class (and 98% of America) tax cut Extensions.

The GOP/Republicans are using the Middle Class to get the top 2% tax cut extensions.

Do you see the difference? Again-They are both using the same tactic. The main difference is President Obama's goal is to get the tax cuts extended for 98% of America while the GOP/Republicans are trying to get it for the top 2%.

If the GOP/Republicans were not doing JUST for the 2% they would agree with President Obama's proposal.

But you are wrong. They are not worried about the 98%. They are worried about the top 2%. President Obama doesn't want to tax 98% of America. His Proposal says that.

However, the GOP/Republicans could care less about the other 98% of America. If  they did care about the other 98% and if they were not fighting for JUST the top 2% they would be willing to agree with his proposal. And since some Republicans have been dismissing the No Tax Pledge it seems like some Republicans understand this and want to change it.

I am glad that we can at least agree that they are playing the same game.



Quoting LadyBugMom09:

What I am saying DOES make sense. Obama IS ussing the middle class to try too get his way. He essentially is telling the GOP, do it MY way or I will let the tax cuts expire for everyone.





The GOP is not fighting JUST for the 2%. Tthey are fighting for the 100%. Tax cuts for ALL. They dont want ANYONES taxes to increase. Thats not diffficult to understand. OBAMA is the one that wants to tax the 2% and if he doesn't get his way then HE will tax the 100%.





And if you read my PPs, you would see that I DID say that both the GOP AND Obama are playing a political game of chicken. I CAN admit that.








Quoting brookiecookie87:

But what you are saying doesn't make any sense. What would President Obama have to gain?

He is using the Middle Class (Or 98% of America) to help them keep their Tax Cuts while letting them expire for the Top 2%.

Oppose to the GOP/Republicans who are using the Middle Class (Or 98% of America) to help keep tax extensions for the Top 2%.

If you are refusing to see that President Obama and the GOP/Republicans are doing the same thing then you are blinded by bias. They both want something and they are both willing to let tax cuts expire for everyone for it.

The main difference is President Obama is fighting for the tax cuts to be extended for 98% of America. The GOP/Republicans are fighting for them to be extended for 2% of America.

And that is a HUGE Difference.










Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN