Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Destroy the idols,’ Egyptian jihadist calls for removal of Sphinx, Pyramids

Posted by   + Show Post

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/11/12/249092.html

Destroy the idols,’ Egyptian jihadist calls for removal of Sphinx, Pyramids

Murgan Salem al-Gohary, an Islamist leader twice-sentenced under former President Hosni Mubarak for advocating violence, called on Muslims to remove such “idols.”  (Courtesy: Dream TV)
Murgan Salem al-Gohary, an Islamist leader twice-sentenced under former President Hosni Mubarak for advocating violence, called on Muslims to remove such “idols.” (Courtesy: Dream TV)

An Egyptian jihad leader, with self-professed links to the Taliban, called for the “destruction of the Sphinx and the Giza Pyramids in Egypt,” drawing ties between the Egyptian relics and Buddha statues, local media reported this week.

Murgan Salem al-Gohary, an Islamist leader twice-sentenced under former President Hosni Mubarak for advocating violence, called on Muslims to remove such “idols.”

“All Muslims are charged with applying the teachings of Islam to remove such idols, as we did in Afghanistan when we destroyed the Buddha statues,” he said on Saturday during a television interview on an Egyptian private channel, widely watched by Egyptian and Arab audiences.

“God ordered Prophet Mohammed to destroy idols,” he added. “When I was with the Taliban we destroyed the statue of Buddha, something the government failed to do.”

His comments came a day after thousands of ultraconservative Islamists gathered in Tahrir Square to call for the strict application of Sharia law in the new constitution.

But in retaliation to Gohary’s remarks, the vice president of Tunisia’s Ennahda party, Sheikh Abdel Fattah Moro, called the live program and told Gohary that famous historic military commander Amr ibn al-Aas did not destroy statues when he conquered Egypt.

“So who are you to do it?” he wondered. “The Prophet destroyed the idols because people worshiped them, but the Sphinx and the Pyramids are not worshiped.”

Gohary, 50, is well-known in Egypt for his advocacy of violence, Egypt Independent reported.

“He was sentenced twice, one of the two sentences being life imprisonment. He subsequently fled Egypt to Afghanistan, where he was badly injured in the American invasion. In 2007, he traveled from Pakistan to Syria, which then handed him over to Egypt. After Mubarak's fall in early 2011, he was released from prison by a judicial ruling,” the newspaper added.

In recent months, fears have surfaced that the ultra-conservative Salafi political powers may soon wish to debate new guidelines over Egyptian antiquities.

Islamists have swept the recent presidential and parliamentary elections in the country’s post-revolutionary stage, with the Muslim Brotherhood and the ultra-conservative Salafi Islamists rising to political power.

“The fundamental Salafis have demanded to cover Pharaonic statues, because they regard them to be idols,” Egyptian author on ancient history Ahmed Osman told Al Arabiya English, explaining that Salafi Muslims follow conservative religious principles which view statues and sculptures as prohibited in Islam.

“But so far the government has done nothing to indicate what is the future of Egyptian antiquities,” adds Osman.

Many hope that Egypt’s new President Mohammed Mursi will help usher better preservation of Egypt’s proud cultural heritage. Egyptian officials have recently announced the country will reveal more of its ancient buried treasures.

The tomb of Queen Meresankh III, the granddaughter of Khufu, of Great Pyramid fame, is set to be opened to tourists later this year, with the last resting places of five high priests also slated to be put on show.

Officials are also believed to be reopening the underground Serapeum temple at Sakkara, to the south of Cairo.

[Related article: The Jinx of the Sphinx: How Egypt’s ‘exploited’ past came full circle: http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/09/11/237360.html]

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, sure.  I know nothing about Egyptian politics or the power a bunch of radicals have there.  (You can think of them like the Rick Santorums of this country.)  They can talk all they want.  

Also I feel compelled to point out that Al Aribaya newspaper has an investment in playing up radicals in Egypt and trying to connect them with government to make the government seem more extreme.  That newspaper is like a Fox News, if you remember this is the same paper that spread the "sex with your dead wife" rumor to turn people agaist Morsi.  It is owned by conservative businessmen who are in legal trouble due to corrupt activities under Mubarack.

So while this guy may be spouting off and getting a lot of attention, that doesn't actually give him any power or any assumption that the general population in Egypt agrees with him or even the very conservative Al Noor party agreeing with him.  Just because people are in the same party (and the Al Noor party is very, very conservative) doesn't mean everyone has the same view.

This guy is no official government spokesperson or anything.  Just some random guy spouting off.

But whatever, continue on with your fear and hyperbole.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Huh?  Are you serious?  To say the below means you really do not understand these jihadist and what they are capable of doing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

So who's gonna listen to him?  Some random guy that claims to have ties with the Taliban?

I think most Egyptians are aware that the antiquities are a great draw for tourism, plus there are whole schools dedicated to studying and preserving these types of things from history.

This guy sounds like a fool.

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM

That is sad. So very very sad. I hope someone shuts him down. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yeah, sure.  I know nothing about Egyptian politics or the power a bunch of radicals have there.  (You can think of them like the Rick Santorums of this country.)  They can talk all they want.  

Also I feel compelled to point out that Al Aribaya newspaper has an investment in playing up radicals in Egypt and trying to connect them with government to make the government seem more extreme.  That newspaper is like a Fox News, if you remember this is the same paper that spread the "sex with your dead wife" rumor to turn people agaist Morsi.  It is owned by conservative businessmen who are in legal trouble due to corrupt activities under Mubarack.

So while this guy may be spouting off and getting a lot of attention, that doesn't actually give him any power or any assumption that the general population in Egypt agrees with him or even the very conservative Al Noor party agreeing with him.  Just because people are in the same party (and the Al Noor party is very, very conservative) doesn't mean everyone has the same view.

This guy is no official government spokesperson or anything.  Just some random guy spouting off.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Huh?  Are you serious?  To say the below means you really do not understand these jihadist and what they are capable of doing.

Quoting stacymomof2:

So who's gonna listen to him?  Some random guy that claims to have ties with the Taliban?

I think most Egyptians are aware that the antiquities are a great draw for tourism, plus there are whole schools dedicated to studying and preserving these types of things from history.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe someone can keep him busy by mailing him those super cheap statues of the virgin Mary and he will be too occupied smashing stuff at his own house to make it into public very often. I'd start a fund, that's a world wide public service right there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Quoting romalove:

That is one frightening interview.

Quoting Clairwil:

Here's the actual interview:

a translation of part of it:

Al-Abrashi:
"Am I going to wake up tomorrow to find that, just as you did with the
statue of Buddha, that you have demolished the Sphinx and the pyramids?"

Al-Gohary: "That is dependent upon abilities and possibility. According to our Sharia, every pagan and idol must be destroyed."

Al-Abrashi:
"If you are in power, will you destroy the Sphinx and the pyramids and
all the pharoanic statues and all the pharoanic artifacts?"

Al-Gohary:
"Everything, if it is a pagan statue or idol, that is worshiped or
suspected to be worshipped, or is worshipped by one person on Earth,
must be destroyed. We, or someone else, must destroy it."

Al-Abrashi: "So you would destroy the Sphinx and the pyramids?"

Al-Gohary: "Yes, we will destroy them, if they were worshipped before or afterwards."

I did not watch the video but from what the words above say that is correct when Islam is followed by the letter.

"Oh you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and stone idols and the games of chance are an abomination of the Devil and you should avoid them that you may succeed. Al-Maeda :90

So shun the abomination of idols and shun the word that is false. Al-Hajj:30

The Prophet Abraham urged his people of Mesopotamia to stop worshipping and destroy all their idols just as Allah came to the Prophet Mohammed and urged him to urge his people to stop worshipping the idols and destroy them.

Click to join

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM
That you think he is correct in his reading of Qu'ran does not make what he says less frightening.

A call to wipe out all idols worshipped or even suspected to be worshipped on the planet?

The planet does not only belong to Muslims.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Clairwil:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Gohary: "That is dependent upon abilities and possibility. According to our Sharia, every pagan and idol must be destroyed."

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Gohary:

Al-Gohary: "Yes, we will destroy them, if they were worshipped before or afterwards."

I did not watch the video but from what the words above say that is correct when Islam is followed by the letter.

"Oh you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and stone idols and the games of chance are an abomination of the Devil and you should avoid them that you may succeed. Al-Maeda :90

The Prophet Abraham urged his people of Mesopotamia to stop worshipping and destroy all their idols just as Allah came to the Prophet Mohammed and urged him to urge his people to stop worshipping the idols and destroy them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Quoting romalove:

That you think he is correct in his reading of Qu'ran does not make what he says less frightening.

A call to wipe out all idols worshipped or even suspected to be worshipped on the planet?

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Clairwil:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Gohary:

According to Islam he is correct. That being said myself as a Muslim and someone with ties to not just Egypt but Giza in particular would hate to see them destroyed. But then again I am not a very good Muslim and I don't obey or follow Islam to the letter although I know I should.

Click to join

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Clairwil:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Gohary:

According to Islam he is correct. That being said myself as a Muslim and someone with ties to not just Egypt but Giza in particular would hate to see them destroyed. But then again I am not a very good Muslim and I don't obey or follow Islam to the letter although I know I should.

I don't understand.  I thought Sharia was personal to each Muslim.  How can that be but Sharia means no one on earth should have idols to worship, that Muslims should destroy other people's idols, or even items they think might be worshipped as idols?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Imagine if the entire US was required to follow Glenn Beck or some conservative wacko rep in congress.  I'm always surprised that people hear one Muslim person speak and assume everyone feels the same way.  And actually, they never want to hear it if it's some moderate Muslim speaking, they always ignore that.  But any extreme wacko is always held up as the one that everyone follows.  *eye roll*

Quoting muslimahpj:

Exactly

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

That's not Sharia.  The no idol worship is in the Quar'an (and the Bible, too.)

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Clairwil:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Abrashi:

Al-Gohary:

I don't understand.  I thought Sharia was personal to each Muslim.  How can that be but Sharia means no one on earth should have idols to worship, that Muslims should destroy other people's idols, or even items they think might be worshipped as idols?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured