Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

13 year old autistic abused by bus aid and bus driver does nothing will she does laugh

Posted by   + Show Post

FORT LAUDERDALE -- -- A mother was in agony as she got her first look at surveillance video of her 13-year-old autistic son wetting himself and crying out while being manhandled on a school bus.

Bertis Paulino went to the Broward Sheriff's Office on Friday to view the video with Detective Joe Ventura. She could barely stand to see and hear her son screaming.

"I couldn't take it, I couldn't take it," she said. "I asked Detective Ventura to fast-forward the video because I couldn't take it."

Moises Mancebo can be heard repeatedly saying, "Ow, you're hurting me," while crying and reaching behind his head to try and grab the seat belt harness that was riding up around his neck.

The strap left bruises on his throat and emotional scars as well, Paulino said.

"He can't sleep, he's acting out, he's afraid, he's afraid of me," she said. "Sometimes I come up to him and he [raises his arms] like I'm going to hit him."

School bus assistant Darryl Blue is accused of pulling on the harness while sitting in the seat behind Mancebo and joking with bus driver Chelsi Edwards, who is heard laughing off camera. Blue was charged with aggravated child abuse Wednesday and was released from the Broward County Jail Thursday morning after posting a $7,500 bond.

Paulino wants the bus driver to be charged too, claiming Edwards instigated the abuse after Mancebo urinated in his pants.

But, Ventura says, Edwards has been cooperating with investigators.

"She went back to the bus terminal and she said she was so bothered by what she saw that she went immediately to one of her supervisors and reported it," Ventura said.

It would be more difficult to prosecute Edwards because she never touched the teenager, according to Broward Sheriff's Sgt. Aimee Alexander.

"It's sometimes better for the overall case to use that person as a witness as opposed to a co-defendant to go after the suspect who's more culpable, who actually did the physical harm in this particular case," Alexander said.

The incident allegedly happened Oct. 9 on a school bus for special needs children. It continued for much of the 45-minute ride from Westglades Middle School in Parkland to Mancebo's home in Deerfield Beach, detectives said.

Blue and Edwards were replacements for the regular crew and it's clear they were not trained to handle children with special needs, Alexander said.

"I think the larger issue here is there needs to be some training overall for these folks," Alexander said.

Blue was hired in 2000 and at some point took a three-year hiatus. He was re-hired in 2008 and, on Oct. 17, was reassigned to a position within the transportation department that doesn't involve contact with students, school district spokeswoman Marsy Smith said.

He'll remain in his new post pending the outcome of the district's administrative investigation, she said.

Blue and his family have declined to comment on the case, although Blue told authorities that he acted wrongly and that he was "too tough" on the boy, according to the arrest report.

wkroustan@tribune.com or 954-356-4303 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 954-356-4303 end_of_the_skype_highlighting ___

(c)2012 the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at http://www.sun-sentinel.com/

Distributed by MCT Information Services

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/10/moises-mancebo-abused-on-bus-darryl-blue_n_2106901.html

So both Blue and Edwards were placed in another position still collecting a pay check, however not working with children thank G-d. When the Board of Education saw the tape (that accompanied this report and is avail just click on link, but WARNING sensitive to some..many not want to view it)..why they did not fire the two on the spot.   I can understand they should have their day in court, but come on., this is an autisic child they terrorisized. they should have never been assigned to this route or school if they had no idea how to interact with special needs children.

butterfly on headlynda  

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM

He was only 4 when this happened, so when he started public school, he was afraid to ride the bus for 2 whole years. He's just now in a place where he can ride it and feel safe. *That* is what makes me angrier than anything.

Quoting Joqui:

This makes me tear up. They are babies! Innocent babies. And people are so heartless to take advantage of the fact that they cannot defend themselves. 

It makes me sick. I'm glad your son was able to verbalize what was going on, this type of abuse is unacceptable. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

We had an abusive bus driver on my son's DART bus (preschool for special needs kids). My son was the only verbal kid on the bus, but I don't think the driver realized that. He was assuming none of them could talk and tell us what he was doing. But that man was pulling over every day and screaming at those kids, one in particular, getting into his face and screaming at him to 'shut the fuck up you moron.'  When my son repeated what he had heard and witnessed, I nearly strangled that bus driver with my bare hands. That God for video on buses, because it was easily proven that my son was telling the truth. To the credit of the bus company, they fired his ass on the spot.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Let me guess....they are protected by a union. That is the *only* reason I can think why any sensible human being wouldn't at least suspend those two without pay pending the outcome of this investigation. FFS, the one guy was ARRESTED and CHARGED. Obviously they have enough evidence, or it wouldn't have gotten that far.

Actually no, I don't believe any union would protect child abusers, especially abusers of special needs children.  I will keep you all informed of the ongoing news of this terrible horrific episode of Broward County Bus Service of Special Needs Children.  

Angelenia and Pamela, Cjsmom:  I understand your concerns my grandson is an aspie, and in second grade he was bullied on the bus by the kids as he was not on a "special" bus. The driver didn't do anything.  This year he is being homeschooled to rebuild his self esteem.  Hopefully next year he will return to regular school.  It is sad when bullied treatment of each other trickles down to 7 and 8 year olds.  And I believe a lot of that is filters down from older sibs or parents.

butterfly on headlynda  

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Let me guess....they are protected by a union. That is the *only* reason I can think why any sensible human being wouldn't at least suspend those two without pay pending the outcome of this investigation. FFS, the one guy was ARRESTED and CHARGED. Obviously they have enough evidence, or it wouldn't have gotten that far.

Actually no, I don't believe any union would protect child abusers, especially abusers of special needs children.  I will keep you all informed of the ongoing news of this terrible horrific episode of Broward County Bus Service of Special Needs Children.  

Angelenia and Pamela, Cjsmom:  I understand your concerns my grandson is an aspie, and in second grade he was bullied on the bus by the kids as he was not on a "special" bus. The driver didn't do anything.  This year he is being homeschooled to rebuild his self esteem.  Hopefully next year he will return to regular school.  It is sad when bullied treatment of each other trickles down to 7 and 8 year olds.  And I believe a lot of that is filters down from older sibs or parents.

This is why my son is taking kung fu. As he gets older, the bullies are going to get more physical. He's already been able to defend himself when some asshole kid was trying to punch him at a birthday party. It's a shame our kids can't even depend on adults to protect them. *sigh*

All I know is if I lived in this school district where this incident happened, I would not rest until those two were fired. They deserve nothing less.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I have no words. THEY should be fired and charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent the law allows.  It is like giving a child who has bit another child a sucker to bite as "punishment".  (Had a day care director do that to a kid they had to pry off my arm when I was a day care teacher).  They didn't even slap their wrists.  I'd be livid.

newmommy430
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I wouldn't be able to watch the video. My son is nonverbal, so these things scare me so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaganMomma40
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I did the same thing. It hurts to think there are people out there this cruel. My ds is only three and it causes me anxiety every moment to think someone could do this to him. 

Quoting Joqui:

This makes me tear up. They are babies! Innocent babies. And people are so heartless to take advantage of the fact that they cannot defend themselves. 

It makes me sick. I'm glad your son was able to verbalize what was going on, this type of abuse is unacceptable. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

We had an abusive bus driver on my son's DART bus (preschool for special needs kids). My son was the only verbal kid on the bus, but I don't think the driver realized that. He was assuming none of them could talk and tell us what he was doing. But that man was pulling over every day and screaming at those kids, one in particular, getting into his face and screaming at him to 'shut the fuck up you moron.'  When my son repeated what he had heard and witnessed, I nearly strangled that bus driver with my bare hands. That God for video on buses, because it was easily proven that my son was telling the truth. To the credit of the bus company, they fired his ass on the spot.

Mortiferouslatt
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Wow. They should not be collecting checks still. I usually do not advocate violence but it would be wonderful to see both of them get their asses severely kicked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM
This story is so sad. Fired isn't good enough.
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Why both Aid Blue and Bus Driver Evans were placed in a different location away from kids still collecting a paycheck is beyond me. I would have called for immediate expulsion as apparently Superindent Runcie is.   I would also charge the bus driver with aiding Blue since she didn't pull over and call for assistance. Instead she laughed.  Children really need to trust adults in their lives even the bus driver and the aids. 

After viewing a surveillance tape in which a school bus attendant reportedly abused a 13-year old boy with autism, Broward School Superintendent Robert Runcie had demanded action.

“I was appalled, I was upset and outraged by it,” said Runcie on Tuesday.

On the tape bus attendant Darryl Blue is seen yanking on a strap connected to the boy’s safety harness, essentially choking him. In the background there is the laughter of the bus’ driver Chelsi Edwards.

Runcie wants both Blue and Edwards fired.

Blue has been charged with felony aggravated child abuse.

“He’s really shaken about it,” Blue’s sister said last week outside his Fort Lauderdale home. “It’s not something he would normally do. It’s not. There was no intention to hurt the child.”

Paulino wants to press charges against Edwards, claiming she instigated the abuse after her son urinated in his pants.

“No parent should go through this,” Paulino said. “I have given my son a very good life and now his life is shattered.”

Blue has been reassigned to a job away from students. He it out of jail on $7,500 bond. If convicted, he faces up

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/11/13/broward-superintendent-wants-bus-driver-aide-fired/

butterfly on headlynda  

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I'd be in jail....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)