Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you let a 14 y.o. do this?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM
  • 145 Replies
1 mom liked this

My dd is 14 and goes to a performing arts high school.  She gets striaght A's and follows the rules.  She hasn't asked me to date and loves to go out with friends. I have let her get her ears pierced and she now has three holes. SHe asked me to get the underside of her hair (which is long and curly) dyed red. So, I let her.  My MIL flipped out. She said between the ear peircings and now getting her hair dyed she is going to look like a "hood". Another mom said she would never let he dd dye her hair until she was 18.

My opinion is she is a good kid and wants to have some fun with her appearance. This is the time to do it.

THoughts?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this

My dd, 15, is an honor student as well. Recently, she asked me if she could dye the ends of her hair with cherry kool-aid. I had no problem with it at all. She died about the bottom 3 inches all around. (She is blonde) I feel kids need to "express" themselves and this is temporary. Really no different than when I used bleach products as a teen to give highlights to my hair. I think you did the right thing.

_Kissy_
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My DD is 12 has 2 holes in bottom of ear 1 on top of each ear, has the tips of her hair done. She wears rainbow colors on her eyes. Whatever she wants except a tattoo until she's 16-18 .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM
3 moms liked this
Everyone parents differently for a multitude of reasons. She sounds like a good kid and sounds like you made a thoughtful choice. I suspect she appreciates you as a mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I see nothing wrong with letting a teen express themselves in their style.  The only things I would object to would be tattoos and gauges.  When my now 24 year old daughter was in middle school, she wanted her belly button pierced.  She thought I would say no, so she did it herself.  It ended up getting infected.  Recently, my 16 year old daughter wanted her nose pierced.  I didn't want to go through what we went through with other daughter, so I took her to the tattoo parlor to get it done.  Ear piercings and hair dye are not a big deal.  If you had said no, there's always the chance she would have done it behind your back. 

AleaKat
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Completely agree. Let her experiment and figure out her own style especially if she is a good student.
I was highlighting my hair by age 13. Lol
Mom sounds kinda old am fashioned and uptight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I would let her dye her hair however we are against multiple piercing and our teen doesn't seem to mind :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Your MIL is just an old bitty. Ignore her. There is nothing wrong with dying hair and having your ears pierced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuzyMommy35
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Yes I sure would. I have a dd the same age and I see nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact for my dd 15 bday if she can maintain a 3.0
For a year she can get a small nose piercing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clari85
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Lol ignore my deleted comment if you saw it. Thought you said her dad had a problem with it. If you both are in agreeance I don't see a problem. Screw the MIL :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
justhavingfun.
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM
My parents didn't let me dye my hair until I was 18. That does permanent damage to hair and most people once they start dying it, they never stop. Not my deal. So, I understand where she is coming from.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)