Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My dd is 14 and goes to a performing arts high school.  She gets striaght A's and follows the rules.  She hasn't asked me to date and loves to go out with friends. I have let her get her ears pierced and she now has three holes. SHe asked me to get the underside of her hair (which is long and curly) dyed red. So, I let her.  My MIL flipped out. She said between the ear peircings and now getting her hair dyed she is going to look like a "hood". Another mom said she would never let he dd dye her hair until she was 18.

My opinion is she is a good kid and wants to have some fun with her appearance. This is the time to do it.

THoughts?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Replies (101-110):
sweetmissy_05
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yes I would.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Quoting justhavingfun.:

My parents didn't let me dye my hair until I was 18. That does permanent damage to hair and most people once they start dying it, they never stop. Not my deal. So, I understand where she is coming from.

That's a myth. Hair dye yes does damage the hair that is dyed but that hair will eventually grow out and the new hair will not be damaged. Therefore not permanent. 

Jaliyah  My video here

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I'm going to try to let my kid have fun with his appearance. I always resented my mother for not letting me play with it because her only reason was concern about other people's opinions. She would have been fine with nee going blonde but that was the only color she ever wants me to get because I was white headed until middle school and she always wants it back. But I really resented that I had good grades and good friends and a curfew of midnight that I didn't argue with but she was going to control my appearance for as long as she could. She got her way but she was very hurt when I went to college and didn't see her but once every month or two.

At thirty eight I dyed my hair blue again for a few months and she still acted like I was fifteen, even going so far as telling my husband to tell me to change it. He said if I was happy, then he was happy and totally took the winds out of her sails. I'm a stay at home mom anyway, no job to upset but boy does she hate it. It has faded to a lavender gray and she asked if I could dye it this color again because it's cool. Maybe she's mellowing in her sixties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Quoting LindaClement:

legally they can't move at 17. If they pierced it themselves they would be grounded and have to remove the earring. If they got a tattoo before 18 I would be going after the person who did it and our girls would be grounded. If they dyed their hair it would be stripped and dyed their natural color. They know the rules, they know what is acceptable in our house. If they decided not go follow the rules they wouldn't be happy with the end result.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Do you ever think you are going to suffocate them so much when they turn 18 they are going to run and not look back? or completely go wild because they could never express themselves? I get the tattoo because it is permanent. But, what is the big deal with getting your ears pierced or hair dyed?

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting LindaClement:

legally they can't move at 17. If they pierced it themselves they would be grounded and have to remove the earring. If they got a tattoo before 18 I would be going after the person who did it and our girls would be grounded. If they dyed their hair it would be stripped and dyed their natural color. They know the rules, they know what is acceptable in our house. If they decided not go follow the rules they wouldn't be happy with the end result.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

You live around a lot of prudes with stupid opinions.  There is nothing wrong with ear piercings and hair dye they both can be took out and fade away neither is truely permanent. Those are easy solves for growing pains

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I agree with you that high school is the time to try out a bunch of wild looks.

mommybug77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Quoting Debmomto2girls:

hair dye isn't allowed in schools here. We also hate unnatural hair colors. There are plenty of ways to express yourself without a bunch of holes in your body or putting dye in your hair.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM

A couple of holes int he ear is not the same as body piercings. It isn't about what you like.  It is about them discovering themselves, what they like and their style.  They are not mini replicas of you.  they have their own minds

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

hair dye isn't allowed in schools here. We also hate unnatural hair colors. There are plenty of ways to express yourself without a bunch of holes in your body or putting dye in your hair.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter dyed the underneath of hair bright blue last spring!  Its just a phase....and now, its back to dark brown.  I will tell you that it took several trips to the salon to finally get rid of all the blue!  By the way....I heard all the same things people are saying to you......YOU know your daughter, and you trust her, so don't allow anyone else to make her or you......feel the wrong decision was made.  Heck....if that's the most rebellious thing she ever does.....consider yourself very lucky!  By the way.....several people stopped my daughter and asked her where she got her blue hair done, because they LOVED it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)