Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My dd is 14 and goes to a performing arts high school.  She gets striaght A's and follows the rules.  She hasn't asked me to date and loves to go out with friends. I have let her get her ears pierced and she now has three holes. SHe asked me to get the underside of her hair (which is long and curly) dyed red. So, I let her.  My MIL flipped out. She said between the ear peircings and now getting her hair dyed she is going to look like a "hood". Another mom said she would never let he dd dye her hair until she was 18.

My opinion is she is a good kid and wants to have some fun with her appearance. This is the time to do it.

THoughts?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Replies (121-130):
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Of all the things a kid can experiment with, their personal style is one of the safest. I would totally let my kids.

jurnee14
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone has their own standards of appearance. I personally think its fine, what matters is that she ASKED you. You have a good relationship, she feels comfortable asking you, thats the most important thing, not hair color or how many piercings

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Ever tried to stop a 17yo from moving out?

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting LindaClement:

legally they can't move at 17. If they pierced it themselves they would be grounded and have to remove the earring. If they got a tattoo before 18 I would be going after the person who did it and our girls would be grounded. If they dyed their hair it would be stripped and dyed their natural color. They know the rules, they know what is acceptable in our house. If they decided not go follow the rules they wouldn't be happy with the end result.

101stwife
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM

She is a good kid, yes I would let her dye her hair. No big deal.

pampire
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I would.  I started dying my hair in middle school.  Tell your MIL that a "hood" looks like this:

MaileysMommy
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see a problem with it,other then the fact that it fries your hair :( I have been dying my hair since I was 14 and my hair has went from beautiful to terrible. 

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

let her do it, she's only young once and this is the time to do it

cabrandy03
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I agree with you.  She sounds like a good kid and theres nothing wrong with letting a teen express themselves by dying their hair.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

My thoughts... It's your kid, not your MIL's kid so it's your call.  

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I get grief all the time about my twin boys' long hair.  All I say is it's just hair.  It's not drugs, it's not alcohol and we don't have any baby mamas.  I'll take pierced ears (which my guys choose not to have) and long hair over other truly serious issues any day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)