Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No. 4 of the new "Obama List"......

Posted by   + Show Post

ObamaCare Mandate To Cut Worker Hours, Leaving The Poor Worse Off

Tue, Nov 13 2012 00:00:00 EA13_ISSUES

By Howard Rich, Investor's Business Daily

Posted 11/12/2012 07:18 PM ET

In Barack Obama's first term the U.S. labor force shrank to a 30-year low. Job growth lagged behind population growth as millions gave up their search for gainful employment. Income levels receded, productivity sputtered and deficits soared - all in the name of "recovery."

So what does Obama have planned for an encore? How does he intend to further "stimulate" the economy during his second term?

In his victory speech, Obama pledged he would continue pursuing "the kind of bold, persistent experimentation that Franklin Roosevelt pursued during the only crisis worse than this one."

That's a truly frightening thought. In fact if left unchecked, Obama's "bold, persistent experimentation" could very well wind up making this crisis every bit as bad as that one.

For example, atop Obama's second term "to do" list is the full implementation of his signature first term accomplishment: ObamaCare.

Having secured another four years in the White House, Obama can now block any effort to overturn his socialized medicine law - although states can (thankfully) still stop much of its new spending if they reject ObamaCare's "exchanges" and refuse its Medicaid enrollment expansions. For the sake of our future deficits, let's hope they do so en masse.

One provision of ObamaCare that can no longer be stopped, however, is its "employer mandate." While nowhere near as infamous as the "individual mandate" compelling citizen participation in the health insurance market, ObamaCare's requirement that companies provide coverage to all employees working more than 30 hours a week will be a job killer nonetheless.

Not only will this mandate prevent job growth among small businesses, it will also result in fewer hours and less income for workers at larger companies. These are people struggling to make ends meet on limited income - people who cannot afford to lose these hours.

Last month Darden Restaurants - which employs 185,000 people at nearly 2,000 Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse and Red Lobster restaurants - revealed that it was scaling back many of its employees' workweeks to 28 hours. Ordinarily such a move would result in high turnover and an influx of less-competent employees - but not in Obama's economy.

This month Kroger - the grocer that employs 350,000 people - announced that existing part-time workers and new hires would be limited to working 28 hours per week.

"Kroger is doing this to avoid paying for full-time health care for employees who currently only receive part-time benefits," one employee explains. "And (so) they will not get hit with the $3,000 penalty."

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials-viewpoint/111212-633194-workers-to-lose-hours-under-obamacare-mandate.htm#ixzz2CFyYVmaY

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Replies (61-67):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:29 AM

It is not a given. Read the last sentence.  It is not a free market due to the fact that HHS has to approve it.  Sounds like that the Feds are still dictating to the States.

Quoting acrogodess:

I'm sure it still needs to be perfected as most things do even when the Senate and House are in agreement, but this is what I read under the current law:

Federal Health Reform Legislation and Actions 

Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act  (H.R. 3590), Section 1333 permits states to form health care choice inter-state compacts and allow insurers to sell policies in any state participating in the compact.  Two or more states may enter into compacts under which one or more insurance plans may be offered in the such states, subject to the laws and regulations of the state in which it was written. 

The insurer would remain subject to the market conduct, unfair trade practices, network adequacy, consumer protection, and dispute resolution standards of any state in which the insurance was sold, be licensed in each state, and notify consumers that it was not otherwise subject to the laws of the selling state. HHS would have to approve interstate insurance sales, certifying that the coverage would be as least as comprehensive as that sold through the exchange, provide coverage and cost-sharing protections at least as affordable and cover at least as many residents as coverage under Title I, and not increase the federal deficit.1

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Where are you seeing that you can buy out of state insurance?  That was under Romney's plan.  I believe the only way to you can have "out of state insurance" if that same insurance company has a branch elsewhere which negates insurance competing against each other and lowering prices.

Quoting acrogodess:

What the Affordable Health Care Act did was make it so that my son cannot be denied healthcare coverage for his multiple pre-existing conditions. Can it use some tweaking? You betcha, but it is a step in the right direction. If both the Republicans and Democrats representing us in the Senate and the House could actually work together to make a more cohesive plan, it would be an amazing thing. Another thing it does, it opens up that I can purchase an out of state plan that may be cheaper and have better options when before I could not purchase an insurance plan out of state.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

The issue here is not about helping Americans.  The issue here is how it was done.  Half Ass.  Nothing got solved.  What this administration did was added a butt load of people onto a broken system.  Insurance rates are going up.  Medical prices are going up.  The hospital staffs are already hurting.  What exactly did Obamatax fix besides adding adults to their parents insurance plan?

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

Oh Im sure you can provide a list of all kinds of businesses overreacting to the "Obama Tax"...... Hell, the Papa Johns owner was FREAKING OUT over 15 cents on the pizza raise. OH NO....15 CENTS??? And then even more calculations came out and really, it's 5 cents. 5 cents to keep their employees employed full time AND cover their health insurance. I would GLADLY pay 5 cents, 15 cents, 25 cents, or even $1.00 more per pizza if it meant their employees got health insurance. 

Gosh darn President, caring about the health of Americans. Grrrrrr...we'll just cut hours, do a bunch of layoffs and we'll show him! *shakes fist*

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Of course companies have been doing this for a long time.  What you are about to see is within a short time frame there will be a concentrated push and higher unemployment due to Obamatax.  Should I post the companies for you?

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

Apparently Republicans are JUST getting with the program. Businesses and companies have been doing this for YEARS. What rock are people living under? This isn't a new thing....it's been going on for decades and will continue to go on for decades. 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Well...by looking at the replies in this group....not too many.

Quoting elzingah36:

When are people going to pay attention to what's going on in America?!!

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Please stop calling it Obamacare the election is over. It's called the affordable healthcare act.

This is a product of unethical business owners not the Affordable healthcare act.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM
I wasn't referring to her as Miss Cleo at all; I was using that as a point of reference as to your own accuracy, or lack thereof.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

I don't recall that I said that factually, Romney was going to win unless I was being sarcastic about something.  I always thought that Obama was going to sneak it out regardless of voter turn out.  What I said about Obamatax that it should be struck down if they go by common law.  And you and I both know that the Supreme Court Justice pulled a fast one and then fled the country.  "Miss Cleo" forgets about conversations of the past and when she gets called on it...well.....you can see her reaction for yourself.

Quoting shannonnigans:

What about when you said Romney was going to win? I distinctly remember you saying that a few times, unless I'm mistaken, and I don't think that I am. In fact, as long as we are on the subject, I think you also said the ACA would be struck down by the SCOTUS a few months ago. With all due respect, I'd feel more comfortable with Miss Cleo.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Gee whiz....isn't sweet to see you raise your head up.  I believe I have proven you wrong in about everything you and I have debated on.  So please......if you don't have anythingintelligent to add, skip on down to ......ah, never mind...you won't get it.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

She can only post lies

I'm thinking she has a sever allergy to truth and facts

Quoting autodidact:

so how is the mandate going to cut worker hours? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Ah the problem with your logic as you know it is almost impossible to prove a negative. How do you prove something that isn't really happening. Or that unscrupulous business owners that would cut their workers hours anyway to avoid having to pay benefits are doing it because of the affordable health care act. Oh your credibility is very low.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Iga, Iga, Iga......prove to me that I am posting lies.

Quoting lga1965:

We're paying attention ....you are not. Just stop posting lies please.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Well...by looking at the replies in this group....not too many.

Quoting elzingah36:

When are people going to pay attention to what's going on in America?!!

leona24
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM
You can put the truth in front of the dems and liberals all day and they still won't get. They are too dumb to see what Obama is really doing. They are pig headed big mouthed morons. Don't see a lot of common sense from any of them. Wonder if they will figure it out when our country is torn apart or will they still defend Obama......
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elzingah36
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Really? That's your response? A childish teen age remark made by a supposedly grown woman? Like we haven't heard from your kind before. I stand firm on my opinion and it obviously shows in yours and proves just how right we are. Because of ignorant people like you...I shake my head in complete disbelief and sadness.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

are both of you renouncing your citizenship and moving away, good, poof, hurry before someone drops a house on the 2 of you. I know there was a conservative saying America love it or leave it.....I love it, the President got 4 more years, hope the republican dicks that were cock blocking everything now see, they need to be the tree and bend and MAYBE now the country can move forward....

Quoting elzingah36:

Unfortunately,there is so much that people will flat out refuse to see because they're so completely blinded by the Obama administration. Regardless,and I'll even agree(because it's logical)Obama couldn't of possibly have cleaned everything up in four

years. He did however sit by and did nothing...it's taken me a little while but I've finally made it through "ObamaCare". I was worried about our nation before,after reading this...I'm now afraid. It's shocking that so many people can be blinded and misguided by one man! It's definitely no use in debating anyone right now. Obama was re-elected. All's I can do now is try to teach my children how America is supposed to be,not what it has become and where it's headed. They're being taught to hunt,fish,and to live off the land(what's left of it) and they'll now that working hard for something and earning is the true American way,not relying on your government for constant hand outs. In the next four years,we're going to be witness to our once proud nation drop to its knees and then,sadly fall. Mark my words,when the next election comes there won't be much of a country left to save.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

ANYWAY......Do you really think that these restaurants won't just hire more people and work them below the mandate?  Maybe yes....maybe no.  But restaurants is only the tip of the iceberg.  We shall see how it plays out.  You won't see the truth being reported in the liberal media but you may be able to see it in "other" statistics.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If you cannot take a stranger replying to your post-You should turn off your Internet Modem. Or at the very least not be visiting a social forum.

I pointed out the same thing-That the title is a lie. And that this has been happening since forever. That restaurants will continue to staff the bare minimum (not less, not more).

I didn't say respond to her bs. I said if your statement is true then you should refute her claims and prove her wrong. It would make you look better and her worse.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Really...so I must first put up with her BS? No....I had enough of her and will not allow her to continue to bash me or others.  So please, refrain from butting in.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If what you are saying is true-Instead of attacking her character you would be proving her wrong.

You would be proving there is a mandate that cuts hours (There isn't).

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Gee whiz....isn't sweet to see you raise your head up.  I believe I have proven you wrong in about everything you and I have debated on.  So please......if you don't have anythingintelligent to add, skip on down to ......ah, never mind...you won't get it.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

She can only post lies

Quoting autodidact:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzingah36
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Thank you...I wish nothing but the best for you and yours during these continuing and upcoming devastating times ahead of all of us these coming four years and beyond.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Thoughtful words...especially about how you are raising your kids.  I do hope that you are successful!

Quoting elzingah36:

Unfortunately,there is so much that people will flat out refuse to see because they're so completely blinded by the Obama administration. Regardless,and I'll even agree(because it's logical)Obama couldn't of possibly have cleaned everything up in four
years. He did however sit by and did nothing...it's taken me a little while but I've finally made it through "ObamaCare". I was worried about our nation before,after reading this...I'm now afraid. It's shocking that so many people can be blinded and misguided by one man! It's definitely no use in debating anyone right now. Obama was re-elected. All's I can do now is try to teach my children how America is supposed to be,not what it has become and where it's headed. They're being taught to hunt,fish,and to live off the land(what's left of it) and they'll now that working hard for something and earning is the true American way,not relying on your government for constant hand outs. In the next four years,we're going to be witness to our once proud nation drop to its knees and then,sadly fall. Mark my words,when the next election comes there won't be much of a country left to save.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

ANYWAY......Do you really think that these restaurants won't just hire more people and work them below the mandate?  Maybe yes....maybe no.  But restaurants is only the tip of the iceberg.  We shall see how it plays out.  You won't see the truth being reported in the liberal media but you may be able to see it in "other" statistics.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If you cannot take a stranger replying to your post-You should turn off your Internet Modem. Or at the very least not be visiting a social forum.

I pointed out the same thing-That the title is a lie. And that this has been happening since forever. That restaurants will continue to staff the bare minimum (not less, not more).

I didn't say respond to her bs. I said if your statement is true then you should refute her claims and prove her wrong. It would make you look better and her worse.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Really...so I must first put up with her BS? No....I had enough of her and will not allow her to continue to bash me or others.  So please, refrain from butting in.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If what you are saying is true-Instead of attacking her character you would be proving her wrong.

You would be proving there is a mandate that cuts hours (There isn't).

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

She can only post lies

Quoting autodidact:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN