Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The USA Constitution is a failure

Posted by   + Show Post
According to Ron Paul

In Final Address, Ron Paul Declares ‘Our Constitution Has Failed’

In a 52-minute address that will likely be his last in Congress, Texas Representative Ron Paul has declared America’s Constitution a failure.

“Our Constitution, which was intended to limit government power and abuse, has failed,” the Republican representative said. “The Founders warned that a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people. The current crisis reflects that their concerns were justified.”

ABC News reports that for Libertarian-leaning Ron Paul, the “current crisis” includes the recession, as well as government breaches in authority and restrictions on individual liberty. Paul, 77, is retiring from Congress at the end of the current term after severing several stints, adding up to 23 years, in the House of Representatives. He has been in Congress consecutively since 1997.

“This may well be the last time I speak on the House Floor, Paul began. “At the end of the year I’ll leave Congress after 23 years in office over a 36 year period. My goals in 1976 were the same as they are today: promote peace and prosperity by a strict adherence to the principles of individual liberty.”

According to The Blaze, Paul’s remarks seemed to acknowledge that he fell short of success in those goals.

“In spite of my efforts, the government has grown exponentially, taxes remain excessive, and the prolific increase of incomprehensible regulations continues,” Paul said. “Wars are constant and pursued without congressional declaration, deficits rise to the sky, poverty is rampant and dependency on the federal government is now worse than any time in our history.”

One of the things Paul laments in his farewell address to Congress is the lack of morality, and the decline of religion among Americans. This, he claims, is part of why our Constitution has failed.

“The Founders were convinced that a free society could not exist without a moral people,” Representative Ron Paul said.” Just writing rules won’t work if the people choose to ignore them. Today the rule of law written in the Constitution has little meaning for most Americans, especially those who work in Washington DC. Benjamin Franklin claimed “only a virtuous people are capable of freedom.” John Adams concurred: “Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Paul, who’s son Rand Paul currently serves as a US Senator from Kentucky, has inspired a generation of voters and politicians, but still has failed to generate mainstream support in three presidential bids. With his time in Congress winding down, Paul seemed resigned to the fact that neither side of the aisle had heard his message. Just as he had throughout his career, however, Paul delivered in nonetheless.

“I have come to one firm conviction after these many years of trying to figure out ‘the plain truth of things.’ The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of LIBERTY. If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.”

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/399409/in-final-address-ron-paul-declares-our-constitution-has-failed/#2h2fwDGgo9MlhMyQ.99
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Replies (51-60):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

And this is probably why Obama is trying to rewright it. Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

cammibear
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Of course I completely disagree. :)
Human reasoning leads to atrocities. Absolute standards of right and wrong keep flawed human reasoning in check.

But I know you do not believe the Bible to be Gods Revelation to man. So this conversation is going nowhere. I'm okay with that.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Your so-called "absolute standard" IS "human reasoning". Man created these standards, even the biblical ones. And judging by the atrocities carried out by various religions throughout time, those standards/morals aren't working so well.

Quoting cammibear:

Again, your missing my point. All those terrible things happened, but because we had a moral standard, we had reason to fight to end those things that didn't measure up.

As long as there are people, there will be evil. As long as there is an absolute standard by which to measure right and wrong, there will be reason to fight to attain to that high standard.

What standard but flawed human reasoning do we have to measure moral standards today?

Quoting krysstizzle:

So when was this again, specifically? Was it when half the country owned slaves because of state sanctioned slavery? Or when  entire cultures were slaughtered and treated like vermin because of "manifest destiny"? Maybe it was when we forced children to work 15 hour days in stifling factories. Or when we forced those with disabilities into boxes in asylums and forgot about them. Or do you mean later? Like when we forced Japanese immigrants into concentration camps because we were paranoid. Or perhaps when the CIA was routinely involved in dark of the night experiments on unsuspecting citizens, like MK Ultra or the shamefullness at Tuskeegee. Or was it when women weren't allowed to vote and were treated as second class citizens?

Well? Sounds pretty goddamn moral to me . Pshaw.

Quoting cammibear:

Believe it or not there was a time when a persons character was important, when our society had a moral standard that the people could strive for.

There's never been and never will be the utopian society where all people are moral and responsible. However, in our postmodern world where everything is relative, and everything is shades of grey, we have no moral standard to strive for. As a country, we cannot discern good and evil, in fact, things that used to be evil are now good, and things that used to be good, are now evil. We are self-destructing.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

When specifically were we a moral society? What year was is?

Quoting cammibear:

He's 100% accurate. Our Constitution HAS failed, right along with the morality of the people. Guess our Framers were right on. You reap what you sow, and we have sown our own destruction as a free country. Our Founders died in vain because we have come full circle.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM
I'm not trying to offend you.

Even "good" people can do evil things.

Quoting Joqui:

and how many times do you hear people lying about their neighbor any damn way? that has nothing to do with "this" generation, I would be every thing I had that back in the "golden" days people did so any way. 

You want a set of written rules, is that what you are asking? 

We already have those, they are called laws. People get sued now a days for slander. 

Maybe I'm young but out of all the people I know, there is more good in them than there is evil. Are you saying that you know more evil people than good? and it's not that I haven't gone through life experiences because everyone has a story.  Regardless of age. 

Quoting cammibear:

Not religion. A moral standard that's absolute.

Do not bear false witness against your neighbor. That's an absolute. When you lie about your neighbor then it's wrong.

A "gut" feeling is arbitrary.

And you must be young, or not been in the real world much if you don't think people are by nature evil.

Quoting Joqui:

Are you insinuating that religion is the only thing that enabled people to "check" themselves?

Funny because religion also played a roll in keeping these activities going, justifying these "moral" souls to feel that what they were doing was perfectly ok in god's eyes. 

What standards do we have today? The same ones people had back then, just knowing in your gut that something is not right. I don't like to believe that human beings are evil, I like to believe that there is good in everyone that is an able, thinking, sane human being. (Leaving those mentally innocent or ill out of it). 

Change is a hard thing to accept but I've seen time and time again people stand up for what they believe to be MORALLY correct, giving people the right to vote, giving people the right to love each other, justice is justice and I don't think you need a religious background to know when something just ain't fair. 

(and that's all I have to say about that - Forest Gump)

Quoting cammibear:

Again, your missing my point. All those terrible things happened, but because we had a moral standard, we had reason to fight to end those things that didn't measure up.

As long as there are people, there will be evil. As long as there is an absolute standard by which to measure right and wrong, there will be reason to fight to attain to that high standard.

What standard but flawed human reasoning do we have to measure moral standards today?

Quoting krysstizzle:

So when was this again, specifically? Was it when half the country owned slaves because of state sanctioned slavery? Or when  entire cultures were slaughtered and treated like vermin because of "manifest destiny"? Maybe it was when we forced children to work 15 hour days in stifling factories. Or when we forced those with disabilities into boxes in asylums and forgot about them. Or do you mean later? Like when we forced Japanese immigrants into concentration camps because we were paranoid. Or perhaps when the CIA was routinely involved in dark of the night experiments on unsuspecting citizens, like MK Ultra or the shamefullness at Tuskeegee. Or was it when women weren't allowed to vote and were treated as second class citizens?

Quoting cammibear:

Believe it or not there was a time when a persons character was important, when our society had a moral standard that the people could strive for.

There's never been and never will be the utopian society where all people are moral and responsible. However, in our postmodern world where everything is relative, and everything is shades of grey, we have no moral standard to strive for. As a country, we cannot discern good and evil, in fact, things that used to be evil are now good, and things that used to be good, are now evil. We are self-destructing.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting cammibear:

He's 100% accurate. Our Constitution HAS failed, right along with the morality of the people. Guess our Framers were right on. You reap what you sow, and we have sown our own destruction as a free country. Our Founders died in vain because we have come full circle.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
budes
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Morality - the conformations of rules and conduct.

Its a vague thing asked to be defined. Examples of what Ron Paul and I think are immoral. The right being taken away for one to marry who they choose to spend their life with, pharmaceutical charging out the ass for a med that would save ones life, millions imprisoned for non-violent offenses, a woman's right to choose taken away from her, a mother being list on adoption papers as the father, the government taking our money and not spending it responsibly, the fact we have to choose between two evils for president in a free country, and finally the government having the right to monitor you web activity.

Just to name a few. And Ron Paul isn't n Obama hater like suggested. He actually would not endorse Romney and took alot of heat for it. His legacy also has not failed, there is a grass roots movement that he has awakened and it just starting.
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM
The salem witch trials happened .. here ...when is not important. It was horrible and means that America wasn't more moral in our past. And the end of slavery was political, not evidence that people were kinder and more moral.
The Constitution is still good. And we are not less moral.
Good grief.

Quoting cammibear:

Salem Witch Trials happened long before our Constitution was written. And the guilt of knowing slavery was wrong and was a violation of our Constitution and moral standard that every person is created equal was what led many to the fight to end slavery.

Quoting lga1965:

What about the Salem Witch trials in which innocent women were drowned or hung etc? How about the cruelty involved in slavery? Maybe you need to read about our history ....people werent any more "moral "when the constitution was written. You're living in a dream workd, rewriting history!
Quoting cammibear:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting cammibear:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. Show us evidence that Obama is trying to rewrite it!

Quoting kailu1835:

And this is probably why Obama is trying to rewright it. Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joqui
by Joqui on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I am not offended in the least, I just disagree with the notion that people are generally evil.  I just truly believe that good prevails and that wrongs can be amended.  I also don't agree that the Bible is responsible to keeping people's morals high, but alas... an endless argument... I have to clean up this house lol

Quoting cammibear:

I'm not trying to offend you.

Even "good" people can do evil things.

Quoting Joqui:

and how many times do you hear people lying about their neighbor any damn way? that has nothing to do with "this" generation, I would be every thing I had that back in the "golden" days people did so any way. 

You want a set of written rules, is that what you are asking? 

We already have those, they are called laws. People get sued now a days for slander. 

Maybe I'm young but out of all the people I know, there is more good in them than there is evil. Are you saying that you know more evil people than good? and it's not that I haven't gone through life experiences because everyone has a story.  Regardless of age. 

Quoting cammibear:

Not religion. A moral standard that's absolute.

Do not bear false witness against your neighbor. That's an absolute. When you lie about your neighbor then it's wrong.

A "gut" feeling is arbitrary.

And you must be young, or not been in the real world much if you don't think people are by nature evil.

Quoting Joqui:

Are you insinuating that religion is the only thing that enabled people to "check" themselves?

Funny because religion also played a roll in keeping these activities going, justifying these "moral" souls to feel that what they were doing was perfectly ok in god's eyes. 

What standards do we have today? The same ones people had back then, just knowing in your gut that something is not right. I don't like to believe that human beings are evil, I like to believe that there is good in everyone that is an able, thinking, sane human being. (Leaving those mentally innocent or ill out of it). 

Change is a hard thing to accept but I've seen time and time again people stand up for what they believe to be MORALLY correct, giving people the right to vote, giving people the right to love each other, justice is justice and I don't think you need a religious background to know when something just ain't fair. 

(and that's all I have to say about that - Forest Gump)

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting cammibear:

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

The moral thing pisses me off. If those jack wipes were so moral they would recognize that health care should not be a for profit venture and they would understand fundementally that rape is wrong, I could go on but I disagree, I think our constitution is a success and I think that pisses men off who want to be king.

this

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Morals are subjective which why you see debates here every day about same sex marriage and abortion, for ex.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM

ok, so with your definition, then who decides what is right or wrong

Quoting cammibear:

MORALITY-
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior

To be able to measure morality, there must be standards to measure them by.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

so you don't have a "REAL" answer, can't say I'm surprised

Quoting cammibear:

Revisionist history at it's finest.

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

morality meaning what? a theocratic patriarchial antiqued mind set?

Quoting cammibear:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured