Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Moms Behind Bars: "After prison, I was reunited with my baby."

Posted by   + Show Post

Angelina was in prison for drug use and raising her baby in the prison nursery. After an accident in the nursery separated her from her son for several months, she was thrilled to be reunited with him through a charity that helps women transition after leaving the criminal justice system.

Do you think all moms should have this kind of support after they're released from prison?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Replies (41-48):
Retrokitty
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM
They let him do it with two other inmates in the area, even at two I remember being embarassed (or perhaps it was a feeling I added in later) they were drinking coffee I remember that! This was 18 years ago mind you so I'm not sure if much has changed. I know a lot about the youth jails but not adult.

Quoting thedathree:

Quoting Retrokitty:

I'm surprised they let him do that. That you could be changed in main visiting area or he could actually take you anywhere in the facility besides a table. not saying it didn't happen but it wouldn't here. They are super strict and not family friendly. It's red granite correctional facility in redgranite Wisconsin. He's trying to see if he can get to Oshkosh which is supposed to be better for visiting but doesn't see prc again for a while. He needs to finish a program at this prison before he can transfer and is on a wait list.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nelliesmommy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Yes, it's good for mom and baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ExquisiteMomof2
by April on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The both of you make me sick. Get off your high a mighty horses. It's thinking and attitudes like yours that causes offenders to give up and offend again. It's not sympathy for the offender, it's about hope for the child, it's about reducing crime and recidivism. Have either of you been in the foster system? I have. It's much MUCH worse than them spending their first years in prison with mommy. Stats show that foster youth make up 86% of juvenile crime and 59% of adult crime. Know your facts before spewing hatred.

Quoting lga1965:

I agree. I wonder if a drug user who does jail time should be allowed to keep her baby? I'd rather see that baby adopted by a law abiding crime free couple who can love and care for the child.

Quoting kelliewhitney:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how a mother can commit felonies. Hard times? Don't get me started. My DH is disabled and I work for just above minimum wage (I have a degree, by the way, but the economy here sucks).I think that these programs make fiscal sense, but COME ON! Lay off the sympathy for people who commit crimes. I have never commited a crime in my life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Hatred? It's just being realistic. I'm sorry you had to go through being in the foster system but this is why I am so against people taking drugs because it can lead to crime and jail time, then kids suffer. When moms are on drugs and being selfish, I have no sympathy.

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

The both of you make me sick. Get off your high a mighty horses. It's thinking and attitudes like yours that causes offenders to give up and offend again. It's not sympathy for the offender, it's about hope for the child, it's about reducing crime and recidivism. Have either of you been in the foster system? I have. It's much MUCH worse than them spending their first years in prison with mommy. Stats show that foster youth make up 86% of juvenile crime and 59% of adult crime. Know your facts before spewing hatred.

Quoting lga1965:

I agree. I wonder if a drug user who does jail time should be allowed to keep her baby? I'd rather see that baby adopted by a law abiding crime free couple who can love and care for the child.

Quoting kelliewhitney:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how a mother can commit felonies. Hard times? Don't get me started. My DH is disabled and I work for just above minimum wage (I have a degree, by the way, but the economy here sucks).I think that these programs make fiscal sense, but COME ON! Lay off the sympathy for people who commit crimes. I have never commited a crime in my life.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thedathree
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lga1965:

you do realize that regardless of parents doing drugs or commiting crimes they can love their children deeply and the attachment can go both ways? Not everyone who does drugs is a shitty parent. Some people can be functioning and productive and just get caught.. not all but some.
thedathree
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

totally agree.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Depends on the offense they were in jail for. 

cabrandy03
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I think it's a great program!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)