Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Maine GOP boss claims ‘hundreds’ of unfamiliar black - *UPDATE he's not racist he plays basketball with a black guy

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 53 Replies

boss claims ‘hundreds' of unfamiliar black voters flooded rural polls on Election Day  Read more: 

Charlie Webster, the outgoing chairman of the state Republican Party, said he plans to mail thank-you postcards to new voters to make sure they are delivered to valid addresses.

Charlie Webster, the controversial chairman of Maine's Republican Party, previously warned that 200 college students had voted in recent elections without establishing the correct residency.

NBC 6 WCSH

Charlie Webster, the controversial chairman of Maine's Republican Party, previously warned that 200 college students had voted in recent elections without establishing the proper residency.

The head of the Maine Republican Party claims that "hundreds" of unfamiliar black voters may have cast fraudulent ballots in his state on Election Day.

"In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day," Charlie Webster told Portland's NBC affiliate WCSH-TV on Wednesday.

"Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who's black," Webster said. "How did that happen? I don't know. We're going to find out."

Webster later doubled down on that claim in an interview with The Portland Press Herald, although he declined to provide details about when and where the alleged fraud occurred.

"I'm not talking about 15 or 20. I'm talking hundreds," he said Wednesday. "I'm not politically correct, and maybe I shouldn't have said these voters were black, but anyone who suggests I have a bias toward any race or group, frankly, that's sleazy."

Webster, the outgoing chairman of the state GOP, said he plans to mail thank-you postcards to new voters to make sure they are delivered to valid addresses.

A spokesperson for Maine Secretary of State Charlie Summers, however, denied that there were problems at the polls.

"Our office has not heard any complaints about Election Day," Megan Sanborn told the Press Herald.

Webster has previously sounded alarms about voter fraud, the Press Herald reported.

The newspaper said last year he claimed that more than 200 college students had voted in recent elections without establishing the correct residency.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/maine-gop-boss-cites-mystery-black-voters-article-1.1202472#ixzz2CJkbksF7

**ETA - UPDATE

Maine's GOP Chair Now Says He's Not Racist Because He Plays Basketball with a Black Guy

This week we were introduced to the ramblings of Maine's outgoing GOP Chairman Charlie Webster who said was voter fraud being committed in Maine because "dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day," he said. Today he told Talking Points Memo: "I know black people. I play basketball every Sunday with a black guy."

Yes, we're completely serious. Even though it's now common knowledge that "Some of my best friends are (insert minority here) " does not absolve you of racism/homophobia/misogyny, that's what Webster went with in trying to clear up his comments from earlier this week about equating black voters with voter fraud: "Everybody has the right to vote, but nobody in town knows anybody that's black -- how did that happen? I don't know. We're going to find out," he told WCHS television. His explanation today isn't much better.:

There's nothing about me that would be discriminatory. I know black people. I play basketball every Sunday with a black guy. He's a great friend of mine. Nobody would ever accuse me of suggesting anything .... What I do suggest is that same-day voter registration without voter ID is pretty hard to police, and it's odd that hundreds of people in a small town would show up.

Apparently, in Charlie Webster's Maine PR teams, like black people, do not exist. And that's the golden quote of the TPM interview. And it's already getting if some play in the Twitter stream for its "just-too-stupid-to-be-true" factor. Here's the first few reactions we found:

And now, well, he's unfortunately thrown in Chinese people into the mix too and explains how he fields calls from concerned Mainers when they see Asians on the street:

If you live in a town of a few hundred people and you go to the post office every day, if there's someone who doesn't look like you, you usually know that ... And that's why when folks called me and said, ‘Where did this Chinese man come from? We don't have any Chinese people here. Where did they come from?' Well, I don't know! It's a good point.

It's not really a good point Charlie, it isn't.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

There are colleges and black people in Maine?!   lol. I kid.

PamR
by Pam on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he familiar with all the black people in Maine?

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this
If he lives in an area like mine where there are only 2 or 3 black families, seeing lots and lots of unfamiliar black people vote would raise question. Where did they come from? I'm sure this man will be ridiculed for being racist somehow, but there really are areas of the country where it's mostly white or white and Latino like my town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM
He is familiar with the black people who live in his area. Some places really don't have much diversity. If lots of unfamiliar people flooded his local polling places, that raises concern. You have to live there to vote there.

Quoting PamR:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
LOL. He just got himself in a whole lot of trouble. What a jerk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Pam on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM

You have to registered in a precinct to vote there.  Most places require you to show ID to get your ballot. 

Quote:

Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM
He is familiar with the black people who live in his area. Some places really don't have much diversity. If lots of unfamiliar people flooded his local polling places, that raises concern. You have to live there to vote there.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting PamR:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You know him? You know that he knows ALL the folks in his area? Why is it ASSUMED the people that he doesn't know are black? Why are you defending him as a non racist or racist when you don't know him?

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting PamR:

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
How long before this bullshit is debunked?

Whine on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Why isn't this hilarious??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Calm down :). I don't know him. I do know what it's like in my town. If 'hundreds' of black people came to vote in town it would immediately raise suspicion because there are only 2 or 3 black families in town. It's a small rural area much like this man claims to live in. I didn't assume that the people he didn't know are black, it said so in the article. That this mans polling places were 'flooded with hundreds of black people'. And he didn't know them or understand where they could have come from because his area doesn't have that many black people.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You know him? You know that he knows ALL the folks in his area? Why is it ASSUMED the people that he doesn't know are black? Why are you defending him as a non racist or racist when you don't know him?

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting PamR:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)