Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

McCain skips Benghazi Briefings-So does 5 Out of 8 Republicans

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM
  • 29 Replies

McCain skips Benghazi briefing, gets testy when questioned by CNN

(CNN) - Most of the Republican members of a Senate committee investigating the terrorist attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, skipped a classified briefing by administration officials on the incident Wednesday, CNN has learned.

The missing lawmakers included Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who at the time of the top-secret briefing held a press conference in the Capitol to call for the creation of a Watergate-type special Congressional committee to investigate how and why the attack took place.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

McCain, who has accused President Barack Obama of not telling the truth about the Benghazi attack, said that even though there are several committees involved in the probe, only a select committee could streamline the information flow and resolve the "many unanswered questions" about the tragedy.

When CNN approached McCain in a Capitol hallway Thursday morning, the senator refused to comment about why he missed the briefing, which was conducted by top diplomatic, military and counter-terrorism officials. Instead, McCain got testy when pressed to say why he wasn't there.

"I have no comment about my schedule and I'm not going to comment on how I spend my time to the media," McCain said.

Asked why he wouldn't comment, McCain grew agitated: "Because I have the right as a senator to have no comment and who the hell are you to tell me I can or not?”

When CNN noted that McCain had missed a key meeting on a subject the senator has been intensely upset about, McCain said, "I'm upset that you keep badgering me."

While McCain refused to shed light on why he didn't show, his spokesman Brian Rogers emailed CNN a short time later with an explanation. He blamed it on a "scheduling error" but wouldn't provide any more detail.

According to a Democratic aide on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, only three of the eight GOP members of the committee attended the two hour briefing that ran from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET. By contrast, seven of the nine Democratic members were there.

McCain's press conference took place at noon.

McCain did spend several hours in a Senate Intelligence Committee briefing on Benghazi Thursday, and plans to attend the panel's closed-door session on Friday with former CIA Director David Petraeus.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

weren't they the ones calling for an investigation?

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM
3 moms liked this

1.  Why bother with an ADMINISTRATION briefing...when everything about Benghazi coming from them has been a lie?

2.  I must have missed your post bashing on Obama for missing more than half of his.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

Convenient for the admin briefing to be scheduled during those investigational hearings wasn't it?

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

*eyeroll*

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

Convenient for the admin briefing to be scheduled during those investigational hearings wasn't it?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this

1). If you are going to dismiss everything they say-Then what's the point of an investigation/pressing the point? Or does that only matter when it can be politicized?

2). You are either lying to try and prove a point, or trying to purposely mislead people. President Obama got the briefings. He just didn't attend them in person. This is extremely different.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

1.  Why bother with an ADMINISTRATION briefing...when everything about Benghazi coming from them has been a lie?

2.  I must have missed your post bashing on Obama for missing more than half of his.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

*eyeroll*

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

LOL!

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

1). If you are going to dismiss everything they say-Then what's the point of an investigation/pressing the point? Or does that only matter when it can be politicized?

2). You are either lying to try and prove a point, or trying to purposely mislead people. President Obama got the briefings. He just didn't attend them in person. This is extremely different.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

LOL!  You can't spin this one.

1.  The hearings were needed because the admin couldn't find the truth in an empty room.  Scheduling an admin briefing during the actual hearings was nothing more than giving folks like yourself an op to say bad things about those not attending.  Where was the briefing...you know the one with the truth..the truth we will likely get from Petraeus later today?

2.  Reading the information on your Ipad is NOT the same thing as attending a briefing.  A briefing by its very definiton is a MEETING....not a reading a document on an Ipad.  A president's primary responsibility is the security of the country..skipping the briefings is inexcusable.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

The Briefing was on a Wednesday. The Senate Intelligence Committe briefing was on a Thursday.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

*eyeroll*

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

LOL!

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM
What hypocrites...I guess their rantings were just oppositional hot air...I actually thought better about McCain, guess I was wrong...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

1. I thought this entire affair was a matter of extreme importance?  If it's that important, why would you skip anything?  Especially if you think the briefing might be "a lie"?  If that's what everyone has been squawking around about, it makes zero sense to skip anything.

2. Why are you perpetuating a lie?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)