Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

McCain skips Benghazi Briefings-So does 5 Out of 8 Republicans

McCain skips Benghazi briefing, gets testy when questioned by CNN

(CNN) - Most of the Republican members of a Senate committee investigating the terrorist attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, skipped a classified briefing by administration officials on the incident Wednesday, CNN has learned.

The missing lawmakers included Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who at the time of the top-secret briefing held a press conference in the Capitol to call for the creation of a Watergate-type special Congressional committee to investigate how and why the attack took place.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

McCain, who has accused President Barack Obama of not telling the truth about the Benghazi attack, said that even though there are several committees involved in the probe, only a select committee could streamline the information flow and resolve the "many unanswered questions" about the tragedy.

When CNN approached McCain in a Capitol hallway Thursday morning, the senator refused to comment about why he missed the briefing, which was conducted by top diplomatic, military and counter-terrorism officials. Instead, McCain got testy when pressed to say why he wasn't there.

"I have no comment about my schedule and I'm not going to comment on how I spend my time to the media," McCain said.

Asked why he wouldn't comment, McCain grew agitated: "Because I have the right as a senator to have no comment and who the hell are you to tell me I can or not?”

When CNN noted that McCain had missed a key meeting on a subject the senator has been intensely upset about, McCain said, "I'm upset that you keep badgering me."

While McCain refused to shed light on why he didn't show, his spokesman Brian Rogers emailed CNN a short time later with an explanation. He blamed it on a "scheduling error" but wouldn't provide any more detail.

According to a Democratic aide on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, only three of the eight GOP members of the committee attended the two hour briefing that ran from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET. By contrast, seven of the nine Democratic members were there.

McCain's press conference took place at noon.

McCain did spend several hours in a Senate Intelligence Committee briefing on Benghazi Thursday, and plans to attend the panel's closed-door session on Friday with former CIA Director David Petraeus.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

The Briefing was on a Wednesday. The Senate Intelligence Committe briefing was on a Thursday.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

*eyeroll*

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

weren't they the ones calling for an investigation?

Convenient for the admin briefing to be scheduled during those investigational hearings wasn't it?

LOL!

Actually, congressional hearings have been going on all week. 

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

1). If you are going to dismiss everything they say-Then what's the point of an investigation/pressing the point? Or does that only matter when it can be politicized?

2). You are either lying to try and prove a point, or trying to purposely mislead people. President Obama got the briefings. He just didn't attend them in person. This is extremely different.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

1.  Why bother with an ADMINISTRATION briefing...when everything about Benghazi coming from them has been a lie?

2.  I must have missed your post bashing on Obama for missing more than half of his.

LOL!  You can't spin this one.

1.  The hearings were needed because the admin couldn't find the truth in an empty room.  Scheduling an admin briefing during the actual hearings was nothing more than giving folks like yourself an op to say bad things about those not attending.  Where was the briefing...you know the one with the truth..the truth we will likely get from Petraeus later today?

2.  Reading the information on your Ipad is NOT the same thing as attending a briefing.  A briefing by its very definiton is a MEETING....not a reading a document on an Ipad.  A president's primary responsibility is the security of the country..skipping the briefings is inexcusable.

You realize you were the one that actively lied/mislead people, right? President Obama didn't "miss" half of his briefings. He got them.

1.  So then I was right. You only care about what they say if you can Politicize it. If you can't politicize it, or if it makes Republicans look bad it doesn't matter and shouldn't be focused on because they will just lie. But if it does make them look bad you will put it out the loud speaker phone and shout it from the roof top. Even if it is wrong, a lie, or completely misleading (Referencing your second point). 

2) If you believe President Obama is getting the briefings on an Ipad you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

brief·ing

[bree-fing] Show IPA
noun
Military . a short, factual oral summary of the details of a current or projected military operation given to the participants or observers.
any set of concise instructions or a summary of events.

Notice the second definition? The majority of the briefings I get. Or is this another time where if something doesn't support what you believe you completely right it off? Is the second definition liberal bias?

Again-The breifing was not skipped. He got it.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

1. I thought this entire affair was a matter of extreme importance?  If it's that important, why would you skip anything?  Especially if you think the briefing might be "a lie"?  If that's what everyone has been squawking around about, it makes zero sense to skip anything.

2. Why are you perpetuating a lie?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

1.  Why bother with an ADMINISTRATION briefing...when everything about Benghazi coming from them has been a lie?

2.  I must have missed your post bashing on Obama for missing more than half of his.

1.  I didn't realize our legislators had clones....I mean how else can they be 2 places at one time?

2.  What lie.....OHHHHHHH, you mean the lie the WH has been trotting around as the Benghazi truth.............well some lies need to be perpetuating....less people get away with them.

You do know Petraeus is testifying right now don't you.  Sources are saying his testimony will be very damaging to the WH.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

1). If you are going to dismiss everything they say-Then what's the point of an investigation/pressing the point? Or does that only matter when it can be politicized?

2). You are either lying to try and prove a point, or trying to purposely mislead people. President Obama got the briefings. He just didn't attend them in person. This is extremely different.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

1.  The hearings were needed because the admin couldn't find the truth in an empty room.  Scheduling an admin briefing during the actual hearings was nothing more than giving folks like yourself an op to say bad things about those not attending.  Where was the briefing...you know the one with the truth..the truth we will likely get from Petraeus later today?

2.  Reading the information on your Ipad is NOT the same thing as attending a briefing.  A briefing by its very definiton is a MEETING....not a reading a document on an Ipad.  A president's primary responsibility is the security of the country..skipping the briefings is inexcusable.

You realize you were the one that actively lied/mislead people, right? President Obama didn't "miss" half of his briefings. He got them.

1.  So then I was right. You only care about what they say if you can Politicize it. If you can't politicize it, or if it makes Republicans look bad it doesn't matter and shouldn't be focused on because they will just lie. But if it does make them look bad you will put it out the loud speaker phone and shout it from the roof top. Even if it is wrong, a lie, or completely misleading (Referencing your second point). 

2) If you believe President Obama is getting the briefings on an Ipad you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

brief·ing

[bree-fing] Show IPA
noun
Military . a short, factual oral summary of the details of a current or projected military operation given to the participants or observers.

Notice the second definition? The majority of the briefings I get. Or is this another time where if something doesn't support what you believe you completely right it off? Is the second definition liberal bias?

Note yourself!  LOL.... the correct definition for this type of briefing is #1...they even labeled it for you.

If accepting briefings via Ipad is acceptable my husband needs to end his quarterly visits to the Pentagon.

Again...skipping the briefings of his military and intelligence community is inexcusable.  People are dead because he failed to do his job.

lga1965
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Oh yeah let's impeach him now.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

1. I thought this entire affair was a matter of extreme importance?  If it's that important, why would you skip anything?  Especially if you think the briefing might be "a lie"?  If that's what everyone has been squawking around about, it makes zero sense to skip anything.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

1.  I didn't realize our legislators had clones....I mean how else can they be 2 places at one time?

2.  What lie.....OHHHHHHH, you mean the lie the WH has been trotting around as the Benghazi truth.............well some lies need to be perpetuating....less people get away with them.

You do know Petraeus is testifying right now don't you.  Sources are saying his testimony will be very damaging to the WH.

1). I imagine they have the internet. I imagine they can use Google.  I tried Googling the Classified Hearings and I couldn't find a video. I tried youtube the Classified Briefings and nothing came up either. Which do you belive it makes more sense to be at?

2). I noticed you doged the point she was making. That you are LYING. Nice deflection though.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

brief·ing

[bree-fing] Show IPA
noun

Note yourself!  LOL.... the correct definition for this type of briefing is #1...they even labeled it for you.

If accepting briefings via Ipad is acceptable my husband needs to end his quarterly visits to the Pentagon.

Again...skipping the briefings of his military and intelligence community is inexcusable.  People are dead because he failed to do his job.

I am in the Military. I have to do a Briefing at the end of Every shift. I also have to attend a lot of Briefings. They are not always verbal. It is not mandatory that all briefings be verbal. I guess I was right. If it doesn't support what you think-You completely ignore it.

Again-Your perpetual lying on the Topic is telling.

He did NOT skip the briefings. You can say, "I don't like the way he gets them". But he gets them. It's not possible to both get something and skip it at the same time. But the lie (That he skips it) seems worse so you keep repeating it. However repeating a lie doesn't make it a truth. It just makes you a liar.

Ps. People are dead because of an Act of Terror.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

You are wrong about pretty much all of this. If these Senators are actually interested in the truth they need to attend the briefings to determine that. You are not privy to the communication technolgy available to the executive branch. You no longer have to be physically present for every briefing.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

viv212
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM
I'm sure there's A LOT we don't know.

It seems the Right swears that this is not only Obama's fault, but also a scandal, but they can't yet figure out how.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM

what sources would that be. I haven'e heard any credible source say as much. What is being reported is that he will testify that the CIA didn't know of the attack until after the fact.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN