Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Barbara Bush, 'The people spoke, move on'

Posted by   + Show Post

AUSTIN, Texas, Nov 15 (Reuters) - Former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush said on Thursday that she's ready to move beyond this year's campaign season, in comments that came at an Austin conference the week after President Barack Obama's re-election.

"I'm tired now of the elections," Bush, who had endorsed Republican Mitt Romney, said at a forum on America's first ladies. "People spoke. Move on, get on with it. I want to do other things and not to be ugly."

Bush, sporting a double strand of her signature pearls, joined former first lady Laura Bush on a panel for the Enduring Legacies of America's First Ladies conference at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library.

The first ladies avoided offering political opinions, but Barbara Bush did issue a stern warning to both Republicans and Democrats.

"They are going to have to compromise," said Barbara Bush, the wife of former President George H.W. Bush. "It's not a dirty word."

Both first ladies reminisced about spectacular Christmases at the White House and cited family time spent at Camp David as the setting of some of their favorite memories.

When asked what was the biggest misconception about her husband, former President George W. Bush, during his time in office, Laura Bush said, "That he was a heedless cowboy character."

Moderator Mark Updegrove, director of the LBJ library, asked the women if one ever can be prepared to be the first lady and without hesitation, both answered yes.

"If you are the wife of a governor or the wife of a vice president, I think you can be prepared for it," said Barbara Bush.

"Or if your mother-in-law was the first lady and you watched her," Laura Bush said. "I feel I really had a huge advantage."

Earlier in the day, during a panel featuring presidential children, Jenna Bush Hager, one of Laura and George W. Bush's twin daughters, revealed that her grandmother Barbara Bush's family nickname is "The Enforcer." Hager also divulged the tidbit that her mother, a fan of reggae superstar Bob Marley, is a "secret Rastafarian."

Hager joined sister Barbara Pierce Bush as well as Steve Ford, a son of Betty and President Gerald Ford, and Lynda Johnson Robb, a daughter of Lady Bird and President Lyndon Johnson.

Steve Ford recalled that because his father became president not after an election but because President Richard Nixon had resigned, it was several days before the Fords moved into the White House.

He remembered his mother being in the kitchen, saying, "Jerry, something's wrong here. You just became president of the United States and I'm still cooking." (Editing by Corrie MacLaggan and Eric walsh)

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Replies (31-37):
BoysManDog
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The only differences between Katrina and Sandy are the president and the media coverage.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I respect her. She has class and she is smart!Do you remeber what she  said about Sara Palin? LOL

"I sat next to her once, thought she was beautiful, and I think she's very happy in Alaska. And I hope she'll stay there."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/nov/23/sarah-palin-barbara-bush-stay-in-alaska

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM

GMAB.  I don't deny Hillary, Chelsea, Michelle and even the Obama girls as having been the target of attacks.  BUT IN NO WAY DO THEY COME CLOSE TO THE LEVEL OF ATTACKS LIBERALS ENGAGE IN.

Flashback: Showtime Showcased Barbara Bush's Abortion of Son George W

By Brent Baker | June 16, 2012 | 14:31

The revelation HBO's Game of Thrones had a scene with George W. Bush's severed head on a spike, for which HBO has apologizedand maintained was "not a political statement," reminded me of how five years ago CBS's Showtime cable network very deliberately portrayed George W. Bush being aborted.

The L Word drama about lesbian friends in Los Angeles, back on Sunday, January 28, 2007, featured the "Unauthorized Abortion of W," a sculpture of Barbara Bush's body with an exposed womb displaying George W. Bush's adult face with each of his hands holding onto a rocket labeled "U.S. Air Force" (angled to suggest they represent forceps) while a vacuum cleaner hose was stuck in Mrs. Bush's crotch.

As I recounted at the time:

In the January 28 episode, university chancellor "Phyllis," played by Cybill Shepherd, warns "Bette Porter," the dean of the university's art school played by Jennifer Beals, that big potential donor "Skip Collins," who is coming for a visit, is quite conservative: "Conservative is a little left of where he is. He and George W. grew up playing G.I. Joes together."

So, Bette Porter asks "Jodi Lerner," an "artist-in-residence" played by Marlee Matlin, to hide anything in her sculpture studio which would upset Collins. Instead, she puts the Bush abortion sculpture in the center of the art studio. When Porter pulls her aside to complain, Lerner lectures: "My understanding was that you wanted me to capitulate to some asshole's reptilian politics to get money out of him and that I will never do."

Lerner then announces to Collins: "This is called the ‘Unauthorized Abortion of W.' Some of the most powerful student work I've seen." Collins, seeing the sculpture with a vacuum cleaner at its base, fires back: "It's an abomination and an abuse of university funds." Porter pleads with him: "Look Skip, don't you think, really, that the primary purpose of a university is to provide a safe haven to explore ideas and expand boundaries?" Collins: "Not on my dollar."

After Collins storms out, Lerner urges Porter to "give him the speech about how the impressionists were met with the same response when they debuted their work in Paris in 1874."

I am in no way condoning attacks made by conservatives that viciously go after liberals, BUT lets be clear you won't find MAJOR network airing anything as vile, vicious and disgusting about Michelle or Hillary as Showtime “Unauthorized Abortion of W”.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's ashame how the conservatives did it to Hillary, Chelsea and now mrs Obama

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Yes Barbra Bush is a classy lady, it's disgusting to think of how liberals attacked her. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

and the quick response and the amount of DEATHS...and the fact that Americans weren't starving and drowning in the streets days later 

Quoting BoysManDog:

The only differences between Katrina and Sandy are the president and the media coverage.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM

lies - the brutal right wing is WORSE than any tv show...they are real life sick pigs

Paul Smith, Tea Party Rally Attendee And Elected Official, Held Sign Depicting Obama's Head On A Spike 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

GMAB.  I don't deny Hillary, Chelsea, Michelle and even the Obama girls as having been the target of attacks.  BUT IN NO WAY DO THEY COME CLOSE TO THE LEVEL OF ATTACKS LIBERALS ENGAGE IN.

The revelation HBO's Game of Thrones had a scene with George W. Bush's severed head on a spike, for which HBO has apologizedand maintained was "not a political statement," reminded me of how five years ago CBS's Showtime cable network very deliberately portrayed George W. Bush being aborted.

The L Word drama about lesbian friends in Los Angeles, back on Sunday, January 28, 2007, featured the "Unauthorized Abortion of W," a sculpture of Barbara Bush's body with an exposed womb displaying George W. Bush's adult face with each of his hands holding onto a rocket labeled "U.S. Air Force" (angled to suggest they represent forceps) while a vacuum cleaner hose was stuck in Mrs. Bush's crotch.

In the January 28 episode, university chancellor "Phyllis," played by Cybill Shepherd, warns "Bette Porter," the dean of the university's art school played by Jennifer Beals, that big potential donor "Skip Collins," who is coming for a visit, is quite conservative: "Conservative is a little left of where he is. He and George W. grew up playing G.I. Joes together."

So, Bette Porter asks "Jodi Lerner," an "artist-in-residence" played by Marlee Matlin, to hide anything in her sculpture studio which would upset Collins. Instead, she puts the Bush abortion sculpture in the center of the art studio. When Porter pulls her aside to complain, Lerner lectures: "My understanding was that you wanted me to capitulate to some asshole's reptilian politics to get money out of him and that I will never do."

Lerner then announces to Collins: "This is called the ‘Unauthorized Abortion of W.' Some of the most powerful student work I've seen." Collins, seeing the sculpture with a vacuum cleaner at its base, fires back: "It's an abomination and an abuse of university funds." Porter pleads with him: "Look Skip, don't you think, really, that the primary purpose of a university is to provide a safe haven to explore ideas and expand boundaries?" Collins: "Not on my dollar."

After Collins storms out, Lerner urges Porter to "give him the speech about how the impressionists were met with the same response when they debuted their work in Paris in 1874."

I am in no way condoning attacks made by conservatives that viciously go after liberals, BUT lets be clear you won't find MAJOR network airing anything as vile, vicious and disgusting about Michelle or Hillary as Showtime “Unauthorized Abortion of W”.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Yes Barbra Bush is a classy lady, it's disgusting to think of how liberals attacked her. 

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Who is Paul Smith, and what MAJOR NETWORK aired his display as ENTERTAINMENT? 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

lies - the brutal right wing is WORSE than any tv show...they are real life sick pigs

Paul Smith, Tea Party Rally Attendee And Elected Official, Held Sign Depicting Obama's Head On A Spike 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

major network?

A tv show...vs a Mich. Councilman Paul Smith...hmm, one is fictional one is NOT....

http://3chicspolitico.com/2012/02/20/first-lady-michelle-under-constant-attack-by-racist-bitter-wingnuts-for-traveling-ski-trip-causes-them-to-shit-their-pants-again/

Michelle Obama attacked by racists...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/obama-hung-in-effigy-678923

Koran-Hating Pastor Hangs Barack Obama In Effigy In Florida Church's Front Yard

The Florida pastor who ignited an international furor by threatening to burn a pile of Korans has applied his subtle touch to the 2012 presidential campaign by constructing a gallows from which a likeness of President Barack Obama now hangs in effigy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/secret-service-obama-effigy_n_2018851.html 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Who is Paul Smith, and what MAJOR NETWORK aired his display as ENTERTAINMENT? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN