Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

John Metz ~ poor business man who can't afford to treat his employees better (Sarcasm, folks)

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

I call BS!!!

John Metz

John Metz

Chairman and CEO at Hurricane AMT, LLC

West Palm Beach, Florida Area 
Restaurants

John Metz's Overview

Current
Past
  • Chairman and CEO at Courtyard Senior Living
  • Senior Vice President Real Estate at Servico, Inc.
  • Senior Consultant at Peat Marwich Mitchell & Co.
Education
  • Cornell University
  • Cornell University
Recommendations

2 people have recommended John

John Metz's Summary

I have specialized in acquisitions of under valued assets and companies for over 25 years. I have acquired most of my companies and assets out of bankruptcy and distressed situations. I purchase distressed debt and fee simple assets at deep discounts. I am currently looking for distressed debt both preforming and non-preforming. In addition I always look at REO properties and companies with secured debt that can be purchased at a discount.

Specialties

I specialize in the hotel, senior living, health care and restaurant industries. I prefer real estate based assets.

John Metz's Experience

Managing Member

Meyer Metz Capital Partners, LLC

November 2010 – Present (2 years 1 month)

Meyer Metz Capital Partners, LLC is a boutique Investment Banking firm with offices in Florida, New York and Texas. Meyer Metz Capital Partners, LLC functions as an early stage Private Equity fund focused on making investments in the assisted living, hotel and restaurant sectors. There are three Managing Partners: John Metz, Gail Asarch and Craig Weichmann. Historically, these partners have completed over 15 purchase transactions in the past 10 years that involved over 150 properties. Some of the major transactions include the purchases of the Hurricane Grill & Wings brand, The Courtyards Senior Living brand and the Roadhouse Grill brand. Meyer Metz Capital Partners also owns Weichmann and Associates, which is a boutique M&A firm that specializes in handling the needs of emerging brands with valuation of $5 million to $75 million.

Chairman and CEO

Hurricane AMT, LLC

Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Hospitality industry

December 2008 – Present (4 years)

Hurricane AMT is the franchisor of Hurricane Grill and Wings. Hurricane Grill and Wings currently has 45 restaurants open with another 15 expected to open by year end 2012. We just completed the addition of 11 new area directors who have signed along with the existing 4 AD's development commitments for over 400 new units over the next 10 years.

Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Hospitality industry

May 2002 – Present (10 years 7 months)

RREMC Restaurants currently owns and operates 36 franchised restaurants including Denny's and Dairy Queen. Currently we have over $50 Million in annual sales and over 1250 employees.

Managing Member

PB Value Development LLC

March 1995 – Present (17 years 9 months)

PB Value currently owns 9 financial services properties in FL and TN. We seek to develop and invest in other single tenant retail properties in FL and TN.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM

President 

Hospitality Investment Advisors, Inc

Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Hospitality industry

July 1986 - Present (26 years 5 months)

HIA currently owns and operates several franchised hotels including the Marriott Fairfield Inn and Suites in Jupiter FL. HIA has developed several Franchised hotels including the Hampton Inn at the Ft Lauderdale Airport and the Fairfield Inn in Jupiter FL.

Chairman and CEO 

Courtyard Senior Living

Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Hospital & Health Care industry

September 2007 - November 2011 (4 years 3 months)

Courtyard Senior Living is an operator of 7 senior living facilities in TN specializing in Alzheimers care. We currently have 2 new projects under development. Our communities are unique in that we typically build 2-5 homes with 18 units per home. This makes our facilities more like home, and we follow the Eden method of treating the human spirit of our elders.

Senior Vice President Real Estate 

Servico, Inc.

March 1983 - July 1988 (5 years 5 months)

I was responsible for all acquisitions and dispositions of hotel properties for this public hotel company. I reported directly to the Chairman. Servico owned Holiday Inns, Hilton Hotels,Sheraton Hotels,Royce Hotels and Days Inns. In 1983 Servico had 42 hotel and in 1988 they had 68 hotels.

Senior Consultant 

Peat Marwich Mitchell & Co.

January 1980 - March 1983 (3 years 3 months)

I specialized in real estate and hospitality while at PMM&Co. I worked on real estate feasibility studies, hotel feasibility studies, private company valuations and various other management consulting assignments.

John Metz's Skills & Expertise

1.        real estate acquisitions

2.        Bankruptcy Exbert

3.        Private Equity

4.        Restaurants

5.        Real Estate

6.        Hotels

7.        Investment Properties

John Metz's Education

Cornell University

MBAFinance

1977 - 1979

Cornell University

BSHotel Adminstration,

1972 - 1979

Activities and Societies: Theta Delta Chi

John Metz's Additional Information

Groups and Associations:

·         CORNELL HOTELIERS logo

CORNELL HOTELIERS

·         Cornell University Alumni logo

Cornell University Alumni

·         Cornell University Alumni Network logo

Cornell University Alumni Network

·         Cornell University Real Estate logo

Cornell University Real Estate

·         Denny's Employees, Alumni & Franchisee Network logo

Denny's Employees, Alumni & Franchisee Network

·         alt="Hill School Alumni/ae logo" mce_src="http://m.c.lnkd.licdn.com/media/p/3/000/005/3ea/01fa7f4.png" v:shapes="_x0000_i1030">

Hill School Alumni/ae

·         alt="Johnson at Cornell University logo" mce_src="http://m.c.lnkd.licdn.com/media/p/2/000/076/2a9/0a0c299.png" v:shapes="_x0000_i1031">

Johnson at Cornell University

·         alt="Peat Marwick Alumni logo" mce_src="http://m.c.lnkd.licdn.com/media/p/2/000/007/0fb/065e8ce.png" v:shapes="_x0000_i1032">

Peat Marwick Alumni

·         alt="Theta Delta Chi - Beta Charge at Cornell University logo" mce_src="http://m.c.lnkd.licdn.com/media/p/3/000/00f/358/3ebc871.png" v:shapes="_x0000_i1033">

Theta Delta Chi - Beta Charge at Cornell University

·         ULI-the Urban Land Institute logo

ULI-the Urban Land Institute

·         mce_href="http://www.linkedin.com/company/hospitality-investment-advisors-inc?trk=ppro_cprof" alt="Urban Land Institute (ULI) logo" mce_src="http://m.c.lnkd.licdn.com/media/p/3/000/006/159/28f307d.png" v:shapes="_x0000_i1035">

Urban Land Institute (ULI)

Honors and Awards:

West Palm Beach Planning and Zoning Board 1993-1996

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is it the employers responsibility to provide hc for the employee?  If there isn't room in the profit margin how is he supposed to pay for it?  Let some people go...cut back hours...raise the cost of the product/service...that is what they are going to do.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Because it's the law.  It's wrong for employers to skirt the law by cutting people's hours.  Just like it's wrong for anyone to do anything to skirt the laws.  The fact of the matter is that the employees pay the majority of the insurance premiums as deductions from their paychecks.  The employer does NOT foot the whole bill themselves like this man makes it sound.  Group policies are cheaper for everyone all the way around.  Companies get HUGE discounts on premium rates for having so many employees in the plan.

Do you or your husband (if you're married) have insurance through an employer?  If you do, I bet you don't think twice about taking advantage of it.  If you don't, then your individual insurance policy is 8-10 times higher (if not more) than a group policy rate.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Why is it the employers responsibility to provide hc for the employee?  If there isn't room in the profit margin how is he supposed to pay for it?  Let some people go...cut back hours...raise the cost of the product/service...that is what they are going to do.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM
3 moms liked this

When a person signs on as CEO of a large corporation or any top executive position, said person expects to receive a large, if not very large salary; a very very good benefit package including an excellent health care plan, vacation and often stock options as well as a top of the line pension plan. The general attitude is that they work hard for it, they deserve it, etc. etc.

So if they can expect these things, why is it considered greedy if not just plain wrong for the average worker (who also works hard for what he/she receives) to expect a living wage that keeps up with the cost of living; a reasonable health care plan that both the company and worker contribute to and a decent pension plan.

Yet whenever there is anything about workers vs a large corporation, it seems the sympathy goes to the "poor" CEO, exec. and owners even though they are usually attempting to lower worker wages and benefits in order to gain more for themselves.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Not even through my 1st cup of coffee yet.  So, not sure if you are agreeing with me or posting a rebuttal because you missed the sarcasm.

I made this post after being bashed repeatedly in one of the "Hostess Closing posts".  I was shocked at the number of people who were so quick to defend John Metz.  They colored him as a man who barely clears $100K per year on his restaurant.  I called BS and got bashed for it.  So I posted the truth about the man and how rich he is and showing he is nothing more than a slum lord restaurant owner.

Quoting meriana:

When a person signs on as CEO of a large corporation or any top executive position, said person expects to receive a large, if not very large salary; a very very good benefit package including an excellent health care plan, vacation and often stock options as well as a top of the line pension plan. The general attitude is that they work hard for it, they deserve it, etc. etc.

So if they can expect these things, why is it considered greedy if not just plain wrong for the average worker (who also works hard for what he/she receives) to expect a living wage that keeps up with the cost of living; a reasonable health care plan that both the company and worker contribute to and a decent pension plan.

Yet whenever there is anything about workers vs a large corporation, it seems the sympathy goes to the "poor" CEO, exec. and owners even though they are usually attempting to lower worker wages and benefits in order to gain more for themselves.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

Because it's the law.  It's wrong for employers to skirt the law by cutting people's hours.  Just like it's wrong for anyone to do anything to skirt the laws.  The fact of the matter is that the employees pay the majority of the insurance premiums as deductions from their paychecks.  The employer does NOT foot the whole bill themselves like this man makes it sound.  Group policies are cheaper for everyone all the way around.  Companies get HUGE discounts on premium rates for having so many employees in the plan.

Do you or your husband (if you're married) have insurance through an employer?  If you do, I bet you don't think twice about taking advantage of it.  If you don't, then your individual insurance policy is 8-10 times higher (if not more) than a group policy rate.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

As I said before.....IF THERE IS NO MONEY HOW DOES IT GET PAID FOR?  There is a reason employers have not been insuring their employees...THEY CANNOT AFFORD IT.  I know this from a business owner perspective.  I have never been able to afford to insure my employees...not even if they pay a portion.  Making it a law doesn't just throw a little pixie dust on the problem and fix it.  It does however mean the business will have to comply....and since there is no money tree....the money has to come from somewhere.....wage cuts, hour cuts and raising the prices...all of which are legal.

People wanted Obamacare...they got it....along with all the consequences.  NOTHING is free.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting specialwingz:

Not even through my 1st cup of coffee yet.  So, not sure if you are agreeing with me or posting a rebuttal because you missed the sarcasm.

I made this post after being bashed repeatedly in one of the "Hostess Closing posts".  I was shocked at the number of people who were so quick to defend John Metz.  They colored him as a man who barely clears $100K per year on his restaurant.  I called BS and got bashed for it.  So I posted the truth about the man and how rich he is and showing he is nothing more than a slum lord restaurant owner.

Quoting meriana:

I agree with you. It always amazes me when people pretty much slam the average worker for wanting a wage they can support their family on and a decent pension plan, etc.  Since the ACA came into being, there seem to be a lot of posts about how horrible it is that many employers will have to provide some kind of health care plan if they weren't already. They make it sound like the employer will be footing the entire bill, which is certainly not the case.  The sympathy usually seems to go on the side of the "poor" CEO's and owners. I don't get why so many  think it's ok for those at the top to not only have, but demand a certain amount in wages/salary; health care, pension plan benefits, etc. in compensation for their hard work but it's seen as greedy when the average worker expects or even just wants fair compensation for his/her hard work.  

These days when those at the top acquire more wealth, even if it's due to taking from the employees by cutting wages/benefits; not providing benefits or a good wage in the first place or by shipping jobs over-seas, it seems to be applauded and we're always hearing how the tax rate is unfair to them. No matter what they demand, it's OK because they worked hard for it but let the average person want just enough to be able to care for his/her family comfortably and they're the "greedy" ones? It doesn't make sense. I guess all one can say is that the propaganda put out there promoting those at the top as "job creators" we should all be gratefull for and too, (no matter how low ones wage is, etc. be happy one has a job, etc. etc.) has worked.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Never said it was free.  And I owned my own contracting company for 20 years.  I am not ignorant to business.  And, I carried a group policy to offer my employees. If you are incapable of balancing a business budget to cover your employees, then you are an unskilled business owner.  That is something one should take into account before even opening a business.  If you can't do it right, you have no business doing it at all.  Laws have always been in place for full-time employees.  This is nothing new.  It's just that now the president is making business owners accountable for what they were supposed to be doing all along.  I feel sorry for your employees.  I would never work for a business owner such as yourself.  If you can't offer benefits for the people who bring in the money for you, you aren't worth working for.  That's a lot of the problem these days.  Employers want the employees to work the business, bring the money in and not expect to give anything to the employees in return.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

As I said before.....IF THERE IS NO MONEY HOW DOES IT GET PAID FOR?  There is a reason employers have not been insuring their employees...THEY CANNOT AFFORD IT.  I know this from a business owner perspective.  I have never been able to afford to insure my employees...not even if they pay a portion.  Making it a law doesn't just throw a little pixie dust on the problem and fix it.  It does however mean the business will have to comply....and since there is no money tree....the money has to come from somewhere.....wage cuts, hour cuts and raising the prices...all of which are legal.

People wanted Obamacare...they got it....along with all the consequences.  NOTHING is free.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Because that's how it's done in this country. I agree Healthcare should not be a for profit venture and businesses should take care of their employees and provide decent benefits.

This man is sick and disgusting in my personal opinion.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Why is an employer responsibility requirement needed?

The employer responsibility requirement is designed to strengthen the system of employer-sponsored insurance, which is the primary source of health coverage for nonelderly Americans. It encourages firms that now offer health insurance to continue doing so, and it encourages firms that do not offer coverage to start. Covering as many people as possible through employer-sponsored insurance will hold down the cost of health reform to taxpayers

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3163

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)