Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Wal-Mart takes legal action in labor battle

, NBC News

Wal-Mart takes legal action in labor battle

It's a battle of a big-box retailer and big labor. And as Black Friday - the busiest shopping day of the year - nears, it's starting to get nasty.

Wal-Mart is taking its first legal step to stop months of protests and rallies outside its stores, targeting the union that it says is behind such actions.

Wal-Mart late on Thursday filed an unfair labor practice charge against the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, or UFCW, asking the National Labor Relations Board to halt what the retailer says are unlawful attempts to disrupt its business.

The move comes just a week before what is expected to be the largest organized action against the world's largest retailer, as a small group of Wal-Mart workers prepare to strike on Black Friday.

"We are taking this action now because we cannot allow the UFCW to continue to intentionally seek to create an environment that could directly and adversely impact our customers and associates," said Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar. "If they do, they will be held accountable."

NBC Latino: Wal-Mart workers plan large protest on Black Friday

The union is undeterred. "Wal-Mart is grasping at straws," said UFCW Communications Director Jill Cashen. "There's nothing in the law that gives an employer the right to silence workers and citizens."

Protests and rallies outside Wal-Mart stores around the country and other actions such as flash mobs have been orchestrated by groups including OUR Walmart, a coalition of thousands of Wal-Mart workers which wants to collectively push for better wages, benefits and working conditions.

OUR Walmart and another group, Making Change at Walmart, are affiliated with the UFCW. The union represents more than 1 million workers, including many at retailers that compete with Wal-Mart. According to a filing with the Labor Department, OUR Walmart was a subsidiary of the UFCW as of 2011. It is unclear whether it remains a subsidiary or has legally separated from the union.

Numerous activities over the past year or longer "have caused disruptions to Wal-Mart's business, resulted in misinformation being shared publicly about our company, and created an uncomfortable environment and undue stress on Wal-Mart's customers, including families with children," Wal-Mart outside counsel Steven Wheeless said in a letter sent on Friday to Deborah Gaydos, assistant general counsel of the UFCW.

The National Labor Relations Act prohibits such picketing for more than 30 days without the filing of a representation petition. The NLRA also requires the NLRB to seek a federal court injunction against such activity, the letter states.

The OUR Walmart group of current and former Wal-Mart employees is organizing its most public displays yet against the Wal-Mart chain, with 1,000 protests such as strikes and what it calls "online actions" that began this week and will culminate on Black Friday.

Strikes and protests have been planned across the country. For example, workers walked off the job in Seattle on Thursday and in Dallas on Friday as part of this effort, OUR Walmart said.

Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart said that anyone who is not an employee is prohibited from coming onto its owned or controlled parking lots or other facilities to solicit, hand out literature or otherwise engage in any demonstration.

Wal-Mart said that it intends for the UFCW to be held accountable for any injury or property damage that may occur as a result of the actions led by the UFCW, OUR Walmart or any of its other affiliates.

"We are prepared to and will take all appropriate legal actions to enforce our property rights, protect our business, and ensure the safety of our customers and associates, on Black Friday and in the future," the letter states.

OUR Walmart has said that it has thousands of members across most U.S. states, but has not given an exact number of members. Wal-Mart store workers pay $5 monthly dues to join OUR Walmart.

Wal-Mart has 1.4 million U.S. workers.

Wal-Mart filed its charge against the UFCW late on Thursday with the NLRB regional office in Little Rock, Arkansas. The case number is 26-CB-093342.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Replies (31-40):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I hate Walmart and I hate unions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, let's just blame the unions.  If Wal-Marts treated their employees with respect and with fair wages contributed toward group medical with the employees they would not have employee or "associate" issues.  It's not always just the employees fault or a unions.., look to the corporate big wigs, if they decide your glasses are too big for your face no warning your fired. In other words they don't need a reason to fire you ...after years of service you're out..gone..fine'. And in this economy..most sensible people are not just walk off a job.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

no shit

Quoting Due9:

I second this. Damn unions.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You know what....I say give them what they are wanting and raise the prices accordingly....I am sick of unions strong arming businesses.  Give them what they ask for.....consequences and all. 

butterfly on headlynda  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Well I can agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly.

LOL at my "issue," forgive me but I thought you were one of the ones who said everybody shops at walmart.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I have no corporate overlord.

I am explaining reality as someone who has a shop that competes with Walmart for certain things.

I have not said anyone shops at Walmart nor suggested it.  That is your guilt or issue.

People shop there because it is cheap.   It is cheap because people shop there.

Maybe if people decided they didn't need so much crap, Walmart wouldn't always be there.

Quoting stacymomof2:

LOL, yeah, that is a truly nuanced and accurate take on the whole thing.  Go ahead and bow to your corporate overloard, I for one am going to be upset that Wal Mart turns bustling small businesses into ghost towns by undercutting everyones price on everything with their mega purchasing power, crappy stores and crappy service.

And before you tell me I shop at Wal Mart, I literally NEVER do.  As a person who has owned a retail store in the past I always go to a local place when possible and refuse to buy loads and loads of poor quality merchandise because it's cheap.  I am careful with money and spend it on stuff that I need, and when I do spend it I get something nice that will last for years, if I can afford it.  What I can't afford is to buy cheap stuff that I have to throw away after a month or two because it's crap.  Name brand stuff is cheaper at Target or Family Dollar, for those that argue that Wal Mart carries other stuff than the cheapest garbage.  This I know because my nanny used to occasionally pick stuff up for me and after a few trips to Wal Mart I told her to please not go there with my money, especially after looking at receipts.  Everything from Tampax to Dawn dish soap (two things I get name brand) was cheaper at Target.

If people are really hurting (and I have been there) they still don't have to go to Wal Mart, you can get the same kind of cheap stuff at dollar stores and other discount shops which are owned by a private owner.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

People choosing Walmart destroy businesses.

Be sick of them.

A store can't do anything if people don't shop there.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I'm sick of Wal Mart destroying small business.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You know what....I say give them what they are wanting and raise the prices accordingly....I am sick of unions strong arming businesses.  Give them what they ask for.....consequences and all. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:14 AM

*Goes off to make Walmart poll.*

Quoting AMBG825:

I know. But if we took a poll here the same people complaining about Wal-Mart we would see some of the same people on the people of Wal-Mart site.

Quoting Angie_O:

There are three Walmarts within 15 minutes of me and all of them are always busy. 

Quoting AMBG825:

How can Wal-Mart be such a huge retailer when supposedly no one shops there?

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
ragitty
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I don't know about electronics but Walmart and Target don't even own the vast majority of what is on their shelves until after 30-90 days (depending on contracts I guess) after the purchase date. That is why they can afford to have such great return policies. The companies that sell to Walmart are the ones that eat the loss. I learned this while interviewing for a company that sells merchendise there.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I went to your link and am pissed. The employees might not like Walmart but someone is going to buy this, and it is not going to work, or the life of the equipment won't be as long. This angers me. You don't like your employer grow a set of balls and quit. Then go find another place of employment. Assholes.

Quoting katy_kay08:

the three guys?  They were fired

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411992,00.asp

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm surprised they didn't fire all the employees that posted videos of themselves smashing ipads in the back rooms.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM

They will take a big loss on some stuff to get people shopping there.  Advertise some smoking deal and get you with higher prices on everything.  I buy a lot of generics when possible and the quality of the walmart generics was poor.  The target brand of stuff is a little more expensive than the Walmart brand, but way better quality.  What's the point of a cheap body wash or dish soap when you go through the whole container in two days because it's full of water?  

Also when I bought Pampers (the only kind that didn't destroy my kid's bottoms or leak all over the place) and had two in diapers, and of course being really broke at the time, I was a serious comparison shopper.  Sure, I could buy some cheap brand of diapers that would cost me a fortune in laundry and butt cream, and cause bloody rashes on my youngest, for dirt cheap, but the Pampers were $5 more per box there.

walmart just sucks in every way, lol.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Yup... people don't get that! I shop at Target and My mom shops at Walmart.... we compared reciepts.... I had her get the same exact things I needed, gave her the same coupons I was going to use, etc and I still came out about $20 cheaper at Target than she did at Walmart. She couldn't believe it. Things were "on sale" at Walmart according to them and they actually raised them it cracked me up. Walmart fakes people out with their wording.

Quoting stacymomof2:

LOL, yeah, that is a truly nuanced and accurate take on the whole thing.  Go ahead and bow to your corporate overloard, I for one am going to be upset that Wal Mart turns bustling small businesses into ghost towns by undercutting everyones price on everything with their mega purchasing power, crappy stores and crappy service.

And before you tell me I shop at Wal Mart, I literally NEVER do.  As a person who has owned a retail store in the past I always go to a local place when possible and refuse to buy loads and loads of poor quality merchandise because it's cheap.  I am careful with money and spend it on stuff that I need, and when I do spend it I get something nice that will last for years, if I can afford it.  What I can't afford is to buy cheap stuff that I have to throw away after a month or two because it's crap.  Name brand stuff is cheaper at Target or Family Dollar, for those that argue that Wal Mart carries other stuff than the cheapest garbage.  This I know because my nanny used to occasionally pick stuff up for me and after a few trips to Wal Mart I told her to please not go there with my money, especially after looking at receipts.  Everything from Tampax to Dawn dish soap (two things I get name brand) was cheaper at Target.

If people are really hurting (and I have been there) they still don't have to go to Wal Mart, you can get the same kind of cheap stuff at dollar stores and other discount shops which are owned by a private owner.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Hey thanks. Learned something tonight. Even if it is broke and they returned it, those asshats cost some supplier money. Good comment! I didn't know that.

Quoting ragitty:

I don't know about electronics but Walmart and Target don't even own the vast majority of what is on their shelves until after 30-90 days (depending on contracts I guess) after the purchase date. That is why they can afford to have such great return policies. The companies that sell to Walmart are the ones that eat the loss. I learned this while interviewing for a company that sells merchendise there.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I went to your link and am pissed. The employees might not like Walmart but someone is going to buy this, and it is not going to work, or the life of the equipment won't be as long. This angers me. You don't like your employer grow a set of balls and quit. Then go find another place of employment. Assholes.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm surprised they didn't fire all the employees that posted videos of themselves smashing ipads in the back rooms.

ragitty
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Yup. Apparently that doesn't get mentioned in the employee training...

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Hey thanks. Learned something tonight. Even if it is broke and they returned it, those asshats cost some supplier money. Good comment! I didn't know that.

Quoting ragitty:

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting kailu1835:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Quoting Due9:

I second this. Damn unions.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yep, it's the Unions fault, they are all bad and unnecssary in today's working world. Ok, there are some bad Unions but that doesn't mean they are not needed at all, there are, after all, also good Unions. Before lumping them all in together, one might think about, for instance airplanes. When the Union goes on strike, a lot of people say a lot of nasty things about the Union and the "greedy" workers even though a strike is usually because the Union is trying to keep the company from reducing worker wages and benefits or to keep the company from out-sourcing jobs. Think about it, who would you rather have building those airplanes...a fairly compensated, skilled worker who is able to support his family or one who struggles daily to provide because his/her wages have been cut and the cost of living has risen or better yet, a worker in another country being paid a low wage and producing sub-standard components? If it's the former, you can thank the Union.

bbyblueAK
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM
I honestly don't know what to say as I work at Walmart.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)