Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Science says that drinking alcohol (not excessively) while pregnant is okay, so why do we judge pregnant women who have an occassional drink?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM
  • 108 Replies

This is an excerpt from:

A Loaded Question: On Drinking While Pregnant

In part, this is because studies keep coming out showing, in some form or another, that drinking while pregnant is safe. Like one published in June in the International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reporting that consuming up to nine drinks in one week, and even as many as five in one sitting, did not have any significant negative cognitive effect on kids five years later. This study followed an earlier one published in the International Journal of Epidemiology that stated not only could pregnant women safely drink a glass of wine or two per week, but that their children would actually perform better three years after birth than those of women who chose not to drink at all. And in Europe, of course, where the perception, at least, is that pregnant women regularly drink and smoke -- though, in fact, the official position on drinking in France is abstinence throughout pregnancy -- birth defect rates are lower than those in the U.S.

So if science is telling us that drinking while pregnant is okay, why do we continue to judge the woman with the outstretched belly sipping from a glass of Merlot?

To read the entire story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peggy-drexler/-a-loaded-question-on-dri_b_2150127.html

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

b

u

m

p

jesse123456
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM
5 moms liked this

Because people like to pass judgement on people to make themselves feel superior. 

Aslen
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont. A friend of mines ob told her dark beer was better for low iron than iron supplements. Her son is fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM
5 moms liked this

In my personal experience, women that can't abstain from alcohol 100% while pregnant tend to not just have some sips or a drink.  The only peope that I have known to drink while pregnant had issues with alcohol.

For myself, there are lots of things that they say the risk is very small or that it is safe, but I personally choose to not engage in those risks. Unnecessary risk with your children like that does not make any sense to me.  Plus, I have had children with birth defects. If I had one sip of alcohol while I was pregnant with them, I would always question if it was something I may have done.  I don't want the mom guilt to eat me alive.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't judge women for sipping a glass of alcohol.

Salsacookies
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not worth the risk IMO. I don't even hardly take tylenol during my pregnancies. I've never had an issue during pregnancy that alcohol could fix.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM
8 moms liked this

Because alcohol has been proven to cause fetal alcohol syndrome if consumed during critical development stages.  If you can't not drink for a few months, you have bigger problems.

PamR
by Pam on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Excessive consumption is definitely bad, especially in the first trimester.  My ob said it was okay to have a glass of wine about once a week toward the end, although it made me queasy to just think about it, so I didn't. 

Unfortunately, some sanctimommies like to judge just about everything another mother does.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My OB said it was fine to have a beer or wine now and again after my second trimester.  I didn't but I don't judge people who have.

I also have seen kids with FAS, very heartbreaking.  Being judgemental about all woman based on the actions of a few is common, though, so the current holier than thou BS getsme down.  I had people tell me I shouldn't be drinking coffee when I was pregnant, I wanted to smack them in the face.  I was so damn tired, I needed that coffee!

I also talked to my mom and her sisters and guess what, they all drank at least some while pregnant and all of us turned out fine.  They said the rule back then (I was born in 1969) was "don't get drunk."

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Because some women use it as an excuse to drink to excess, and that can of course greatly harm the fetus and cause permanent damage.

So the law of the land is, don't drink at all.

I craved beer in my last month or two with my youngest - and I'm not a beer drinker at all.  Don't like it, but man I craved it like nobody has ever craved anything.  Finally asked my OB about it - he said some people believe the hops can increase milk production, and if I really wanted it, it was OK once a week or so, just an ounce.  He said due to FAS, the message must be no alcohol at all.

(I had an ounce of my husband's beer a few nights later while out at dinner, and I took tiny sips all night.  Best beer ever - craving met.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)