Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Science says that drinking alcohol (not excessively) while pregnant is okay, so why do we judge pregnant women who have an occassional drink?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is an excerpt from:

A Loaded Question: On Drinking While Pregnant

In part, this is because studies keep coming out showing, in some form or another, that drinking while pregnant is safe. Like one published in June in the International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reporting that consuming up to nine drinks in one week, and even as many as five in one sitting, did not have any significant negative cognitive effect on kids five years later. This study followed an earlier one published in the International Journal of Epidemiology that stated not only could pregnant women safely drink a glass of wine or two per week, but that their children would actually perform better three years after birth than those of women who chose not to drink at all. And in Europe, of course, where the perception, at least, is that pregnant women regularly drink and smoke -- though, in fact, the official position on drinking in France is abstinence throughout pregnancy -- birth defect rates are lower than those in the U.S.

So if science is telling us that drinking while pregnant is okay, why do we continue to judge the woman with the outstretched belly sipping from a glass of Merlot?

To read the entire story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peggy-drexler/-a-loaded-question-on-dri_b_2150127.html

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Replies (101-108):
GoodPenny
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I agree. What we are dealing with in this age is the attitude that there is nothing off limits, no problem with doing whatever you want. This is what parents are passing on to their children and it is evident. I believe the truth to be that most women won't drink during their pregnancy even if science backs it. A wise woman knows that even science can be wrong and is not willing to gamble with the odds.
Quoting jesse123456:

Which, in general, shows the consequences of parents of all generations not teaching their children how to practice self-control. If a mature adult can't show restraint in all aspects of life, then we, as parents, are not serving our children well to not teach them at a young age that you don't always get everything you want or get to do everything you want. Self-control and how to practice moderation must be taught. Your statement about 'using it as an excuse to drink excessively' helps support this. 

Quoting GoodPenny:

According to one mom, jaxthemom I think, since most women will only use this as an excuse to drink excessively, women in general should refrain.
Quoting jesse123456:

All 3 times I was pregnant my OB told me that A glass of wine (5 oz) or A light mixed drink was ok and good for your kidneys. There is a HUGE difference between the amount of alcohol needed to be consumed to cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrom and a 5 oz glass of wine every now and then. 

SEE A PENNY, PICK IT UP, THEN WAIT TO SEE WHO GIVES A FU- -!
PortiaRose
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I have a question: I'm not a history buff, but didn't people used to drink beer a lot, or something? Like, what happened before the studies? Didn't people used to not know that smoking was bad, and smoked all the time, everywhere?

I'm just confused. Then again, I used cannabis while I was carrying my son so what did you all think I was going to say?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I find that hard to believe. Everything I have ever read says they don't know how much causes it, but I still think a couple drinks here and there, maybe a week but not a couple a day, isn't going to cause it. If it did a LOT of babies born from the 1930-80's would have it. Most babies born in Europe would have it. Someone even posted an article with a study done that mother's who drank once in a while had smarter children than ones who did not drink at all. 

Heck when I had my kids (late 70's) they said to drink a beer or glass of wine everyday to help with breastfeeding....both to relax you and aid in milk production.

Quoting kailu1835:

It's been shown that it can be dangerous to have more than two drinks in a week.

Quoting DSamuels:

You have to consume an awful lot for fetal alcohol syndrome. I don't think the occasional drink will harm the baby, binge drinking or getting drunk is a whole other thing.

There weren't restrictions on a lot of things while pregnant when I had my kids and when our parents were pregnant. My kids haven't had problems and they in their 30's.

Quoting kailu1835:

Because alcohol has been proven to cause fetal alcohol syndrome if consumed during critical development stages.  If you can't not drink for a few months, you have bigger problems.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I honestly am finding it difficult to believe that people still think it's healthy to drink in pregnancy.  It wasn't that long ago that we thought it was healthy to smoke in pregnancy, and now we know just how horribly wrong that information was.  It is only a matter of time before people become more knowledged about drinking in pregnancy.

Quoting DSamuels:

I find that hard to believe. Everything I have ever read says they don't know how much causes it, but I still think a couple drinks here and there, maybe a week but not a couple a day, isn't going to cause it. If it did a LOT of babies born from the 1930-80's would have it. Most babies born in Europe would have it. Someone even posted an article with a study done that mother's who drank once in a while had smarter children than ones who did not drink at all. 

Heck when I had my kids (late 70's) they said to drink a beer or glass of wine everyday to help with breastfeeding....both to relax you and aid in milk production.

Quoting kailu1835:

It's been shown that it can be dangerous to have more than two drinks in a week.

Quoting DSamuels:

You have to consume an awful lot for fetal alcohol syndrome. I don't think the occasional drink will harm the baby, binge drinking or getting drunk is a whole other thing.

There weren't restrictions on a lot of things while pregnant when I had my kids and when our parents were pregnant. My kids haven't had problems and they in their 30's.

Quoting kailu1835:

Because alcohol has been proven to cause fetal alcohol syndrome if consumed during critical development stages.  If you can't not drink for a few months, you have bigger problems.

babiesbabybaby development

gammie
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Because if even if it is a very small chance that it can harm your baby why do it?

for me it just shows you put yourself over a innocent baby's health. Simple.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Holier than thou attitude and trying to control others thus having power over them.

jesse123456
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I agree with you. Most women have the maturity to understand that it isn't all about her at some point. Self-control is exactly that SELF-control. It is selfish to not think before engaging in any action that might effect others no matter what that action is.

Quoting GoodPenny:

I agree. What we are dealing with in this age is the attitude that there is nothing off limits, no problem with doing whatever you want. This is what parents are passing on to their children and it is evident. I believe the truth to be that most women won't drink during their pregnancy even if science backs it. A wise woman knows that even science can be wrong and is not willing to gamble with the odds.
Quoting jesse123456:

Which, in general, shows the consequences of parents of all generations not teaching their children how to practice self-control. If a mature adult can't show restraint in all aspects of life, then we, as parents, are not serving our children well to not teach them at a young age that you don't always get everything you want or get to do everything you want. Self-control and how to practice moderation must be taught. Your statement about 'using it as an excuse to drink excessively' helps support this. 

Quoting GoodPenny:

According to one mom, jaxthemom I think, since most women will only use this as an excuse to drink excessively, women in general should refrain.
Quoting jesse123456:

All 3 times I was pregnant my OB told me that A glass of wine (5 oz) or A light mixed drink was ok and good for your kidneys. There is a HUGE difference between the amount of alcohol needed to be consumed to cause Fetal Alcohol Syndrom and a 5 oz glass of wine every now and then. 

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Honestly, the only part of this I would judge is after the child was born and they found the child has complications as a result from the mother's actions - as well as the tax payers having to foot the bill for medical treatment because of that choice. Sure that sounds harsh, but the woman's choice to do whatever she wants with her body shouldn't mean a lifetime of suffering fir the child, especially when it was preventable. If the child won't suffer...then drink up I guess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured