Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I am so ready for Thanksgiving this year, and trying a bunch of new recipes. It will be the first time in 9 years that I have hosted family for the holiday, so I'm excited and going all out (even if it is just for a set of in-laws ;)). Anyone have any recipes they would like to share? I'll post some of what I'm doing this year in the replies.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Replies (21-30):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM
That vinigret sounds great.

Quoting annabl1970:

My MIL always hosts Thankdgving Dinner.

I usually make olivye ( russian potato salad), vinigret ( russian salad with beets, peas, sour cabbage, carrots, potatoes - very yummy), and we buy amazing pahlavas from russian bakery

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM

We had Thanksgiving last month. We did a potluck at my mom's --mostly vegetarian.

I actually can't even remember if there was a turkey. I know I didn't cook one...

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM
I homemake everything. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin roll, banana cake with hazelnut ganach and hazelnut brittle, turkey, and rolls.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Not sure what we are even doing for Thanksgiving dinner.  My youngest daughter and I will be heading out to North Carolina tomorrow to see hubby for the first time in two months.  He has been working down there, while we remained in Maine.  The rest of our family will be gathering here in Maine to do our huge traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  Going to miss our big family gathering, but looking forward to seeing hubby!

junebaby11
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Im hosting but thats cause im in uk lol

Turkey
Grannys dressing
Gravy
Collard greens
Thinking about either sweet potato biscuits or casserole
Green bean casserole
Corn casserole
Garlic mashed potatoes

Deviled eggs and cheese ball

Pumpkin pie and pecan pie and vanilla icecream
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Filling

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin (approximately 6 medium apples)
2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained

Topping

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry filling ingredients together, then add the fruit and toss until well-coated.
Place filling in a 9"x13" greased baking pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine all dry topping ingredients.
Add margarine to dry ingredients, using a pastry blender or fork to cut it in until well-blended.
Sprinkle topping mixture over filling and bake for 40 minutes.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Apple butter pumpkin pie

1 cup apple butter
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin
1/2 cup packed "Dark" brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Use fresh, real cinnamon of you can find it)
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Get yourself some actual nutmeg nut and grind with a micro rasp or the like, your taste buds will thank you)
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (Use the ready made stuff, the other fresh way is too much of a pain in the ass to do)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl. Stir in eggs. Gradually add milk and mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Roasted butternut squash with brussels sprouts and toasted walnuts:

Cube the squash and roast it with chopped shallots, salt and pepper in olive oil -- 325* for 25 minutes

Meanwhile, slice brussels sprouts very thinly, and saute in olive oil with walnuts, about 2-3 minutes.  Toss with lemon juice,  a bit more oil, salt&pepper, and some shaved Romano cheese.  Spread over squash when done roasting.

EVEN YUMMIER THAN IT SOUNDS!!!

isaiahsmomma86
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I'm making pumpkin lush cake. Never made it before, but mil makes something similar but its chocolate not pumpkin and its just heavenly lol. My mil makes the most delicious fried stuffing, I love it. And my mom's husband smokes his Turkey and makes stuffing with the drippings and I have never had a more delicious Turkey. I can't wait for Thursday lol.
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Deep fried turkey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN