Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I am so ready for Thanksgiving this year, and trying a bunch of new recipes. It will be the first time in 9 years that I have hosted family for the holiday, so I'm excited and going all out (even if it is just for a set of in-laws ;)). Anyone have any recipes they would like to share? I'll post some of what I'm doing this year in the replies.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We usually roast and deep fry a turkey, this yr we are roasting one and smoking one!! Yum! Making our usual favorites otherwise.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Pecan is not that hard, actually.  Make sure you follow the recipe so it doesn't end up too gooey but I made it and scored a hit on the first try, and I'm not some great cook.

Quoting stringtheory:

Pecan pie is the one thing I have never done yet...It is soooo intimidating to me. That and my husband (who, when I ask about his heritage says he's "Californian" as opposed to English or German) doesn't care one way or the other for Pecan pie, even though my Me-ma from Texas never let us go without it. I should see if mom has that recipe...

Quoting cammibear:

I have a new recipe for pecan pie cobbler. You start with two pecan pies, and then make a cobbler mix, and put the two together to make the cobbler. Sounds very rich and yummy! And it's not something we have ever had before.

I'm making it for Thanksgiving day.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Oh yum smoked turkey sounds so good!  

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

I'm making pumpkin lush cake. Never made it before, but mil makes something similar but its chocolate not pumpkin and its just heavenly lol. My mil makes the most delicious fried stuffing, I love it. And my mom's husband smokes his Turkey and makes stuffing with the drippings and I have never had a more delicious Turkey. I can't wait for Thursday lol.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I am doing the Ruth's Chris Sweet Potato recipe this year. yummy

My favorite thanksgiving food is my grandma's corn pudding,, so simple, so yummy not sure why I only make it at thanksgiving and Mabon.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

My mom always does Thanksgiving (always!) and assigns us a side dish or something.  She told me to bring a green salad, lol.  She likes to be in control of the menu.  She will roast a turkey, make her delicious and never replicated stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, homemade rolls, and pumpkin pie.  That what we ALWAYS have and what we always want!  The variations are in the apps and sides that she askes us to bring.  I think there will be another couple of veg dishes, and my salad.  

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

mmm that sounds wonderful, I have a kale bake recipe but I don't do it on Thanksgiving.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I'm going to make some extras this year at my grandma's: kale gratin (I sear, it's seriously delicious) and either pumpking or butternut squash soup.

nb34
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I am going to make a bread pudding to take to MIl's house. I am also going to make a side of roasted carrots. Oh and I will be making cranberry upside down cake to take to DS' school's thanksgiving dinner. I will post the recipes later. Here is a bump! 

nb34
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Do you have a recipe for your kale gratin?

Quoting krysstizzle:

I'm going to make some extras this year at my grandma's: kale gratin (I sear, it's seriously delicious) and either pumpking or butternut squash soup.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I demand the kale gratin recipe! I make kale chips and they are yummers, but I'd love a new recipe. I have a great crop of kale in the garden right now that is just begging for innovation!

Quoting krysstizzle:

sherry132
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I make my stuffing using Pepperidge farm, apples, celery, walnuts, cranberries. I also add real butter. 

I make homemade cranberry sauce but I have to get the recipe. 

The sweet potato souffle looks good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)