Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I am so ready for Thanksgiving this year, and trying a bunch of new recipes. It will be the first time in 9 years that I have hosted family for the holiday, so I'm excited and going all out (even if it is just for a set of in-laws ;)). Anyone have any recipes they would like to share? I'll post some of what I'm doing this year in the replies.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I use this one and use kale instead of spinach. Simple and yummy, I've made it a couple of times.

I actually had some delicious kale gratin at a benefit dinner but didn't get the recipe, but I did find this one. I wish I could say I was awesome and figured it out myself, but no. This doesn't taste exactly the same, there's something different, so I'll be experimenting a bit again when I next make it. Thyme tastes good in it. I think I'm going to put in some nutmeg and cinnamon in the next batch to try out. 

1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
12 ounces fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped if large
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375 F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper together in a small bowl; set aside. Heat oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red chili flakes. Sauté 1 minute. Add spinach, cover pot and cook over medium-low heat until leaves soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 1 minute. Divide spinach between 4 (3/4-cup) ramekins. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake in oven until tops are golden and gratins are bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Quoting frogbender:

I demand the kale gratin recipe! I make kale chips and they are yummers, but I'd love a new recipe. I have a great crop of kale in the garden right now that is just begging for innovation!

Quoting krysstizzle:

I'm going to make some extras this year at my grandma's: kale gratin (I sear, it's seriously delicious) and either pumpking or butternut squash soup.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I posted it right up above! :)

Quoting nb34:

Do you have a recipe for your kale gratin?

Quoting krysstizzle:

I'm going to make some extras this year at my grandma's: kale gratin (I sear, it's seriously delicious) and either pumpking or butternut squash soup.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I'm doing a turkey brine. I've been doing this for the past 3 years and it makes the turkey extremely moist! Also doing garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus, corn, broccoli casserole gravy, and peanut butter pie. 

EmmasMom0305
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle is my favorite desert to make. I use gingersnaps instead of bread because dh hates gingerbread.  I found a bunch of recipes on the Pioneer Woman's website that I am trying this year. I'm getting nervous, the only one I've tried is butternut squash puree. Hopefully the rest of the recipes are as tasty as it is.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

2 ccherry tomatoes quartered
2 1/2 cfresh corn kernals (raw or grilled) approx: 5 med ears.
1 smred onions peeled diced
1/3 cranch dressing
1 mdhead of butter lettuce
4 Tbspfreshly chopped basil
sea salt and pepper to taste
Opt. 1/3 cbell pepper (petite diced)

Directions

In a bowl combine tomatoes, corn and onion. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
 Stir in ranch dressing and toss.
 Arrange lettuce leaves into a cup shape.
 Spoon mixture into each lettuce cup and sprinkle with chopped basil. Enjoy!!!
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:48 AM

steffielou_who
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:08 AM
This is just what I needed at 5 in the morning! :)

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Thank you so much!! I can't wait to try it out!

Quoting krysstizzle:

I use this one and use kale instead of spinach. Simple and yummy, I've made it a couple of times.

I actually had some delicious kale gratin at a benefit dinner but didn't get the recipe, but I did find this one. I wish I could say I was awesome and figured it out myself, but no. This doesn't taste exactly the same, there's something different, so I'll be experimenting a bit again when I next make it. Thyme tastes good in it. I think I'm going to put in some nutmeg and cinnamon in the next batch to try out. 

1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375 F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper together in a small bowl; set aside. Heat oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red chili flakes. Sauté 1 minute. Add spinach, cover pot and cook over medium-low heat until leaves soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 1 minute. Divide spinach between 4 (3/4-cup) ramekins. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake in oven until tops are golden and gratins are bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Quoting frogbender:

I demand the kale gratin recipe! I make kale chips and they are yummers, but I'd love a new recipe. I have a great crop of kale in the garden right now that is just begging for innovation!

Quoting krysstizzle:

nb34
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Thanks!

Quoting krysstizzle:

I posted it right up above! :)

Quoting nb34:

Do you have a recipe for your kale gratin?

Quoting krysstizzle:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I am making this for TGD. :-)

Quoting krysstizzle:

1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt

Quoting frogbender:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)