Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Dou you shop at Walmart?

Options:

Yes

No

Other answer.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 206

View Results

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Replies (101-110):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting DSamuels:

Our target is usually cheaper for charmin, and I use target up & up paper towels. They rock!

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Yes, necessary evil I guess.  They have the lowest prices for toilet paper, Kleenex and paper towels...so that's where I go. 

I don't buy their clothes or shoes though...just name-brand household stuff. 

I do prefer Target.  Thanks for the recommend--I'll give the Up and Up a try. 

We are a charmin only family. I've checked prices at Target (I work there), Walmart and Kroger. Target is almost always cheaper and it seems like every couple weeks it's on sale. 

The up & up paper towels are quilted and work very well. I like their napkins too. Heck I buy their baggies, foil, etc. I use that brand of pepcid AC, I hate the new flavor of pepcid but the up & up has the old peppermint taste. I buy the u&u alleve and ibuprofen too. 

Market Pantry and Archer Farms products rock too!!! 

I've always bought Northern triple soft---but saw it was up to $16.  I picked up a package of Charmin cuz it was only $10 something.  Hope I like it as well. 

I love Archer Farms.  :)

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting DSamuels:

Our target is usually cheaper for charmin, and I use target up & up paper towels. They rock!

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Yes, necessary evil I guess.  They have the lowest prices for toilet paper, Kleenex and paper towels...so that's where I go. 

I don't buy their clothes or shoes though...just name-brand household stuff. 

I do prefer Target.  Thanks for the recommend--I'll give the Up and Up a try. 

We are a charmin only family. I've checked prices at Target (I work there), Walmart and Kroger. Target is almost always cheaper and it seems like every couple weeks it's on sale. 

The up & up paper towels are quilted and work very well. I like their napkins too. Heck I buy their baggies, foil, etc. I use that brand of pepcid AC, I hate the new flavor of pepcid but the up & up has the old peppermint taste. I buy the u&u alleve and ibuprofen too. 

Market Pantry and Archer Farms products rock too!!! 

I've always bought Northern triple soft---but saw it was up to $16.  I picked up a package of Charmin cuz it was only $10 something.  Hope I like it as well. 

I love Archer Farms.  :)

We get the Charmin Ultra....it's VERY soft!

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I hang my head in shame and say yes. Yes  go no more than 1x per month. To buy Friskies canned cat food. It is so much cheaper and with 3 cat-mouths to feed...........cat

womanp0et
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:28 AM

OMG, I can't believe these attitudes and platutudes. 'No skill' jobs? Really? I'll tell you what Honey, when I get to work tomorrow I'll ask around, because I've obviously missed something during my two-years of employment at WM, where I work in a department, routinely assist in three other departments, and operate a cash register. 

And those management positions you alluded to: In case you haven't noticed, they're not plentiful. There are probably fifty employees for every person in management in a store. Furthermore, not everyone is suited to management. Frankly, Dear, some people are content to work in a department, or as a cashier, for decades.They don't want to climb over anyone's back or kiss anyone's ass to get into management. They just want to do their shift and go home.

Employees at WM don't want to be rich. They don't want adulation. They want to be treated fairly. They want to be valued. They want The American Dream, but regardless of how long and how hard they work, people like you don't seem to think they deserve it.

From makingchangeatwalmart.org --

The Walmart Economy by the Numbers

Walmart is powerful…

Walmart’s rank (PDF) as employer of retail workers and rank in size of private U.S. employers

$408.2 billion
Walmart’s 2010 revenue as the number one Fortune 100 company

But America is paying the price…

Number of U.S. jobs lost from 2001-2006 as a result of Walmart’s imports from China

11%
Conservative estimate of percentage of Walmart’s share of U.S. Trade Deficitwith China

$8.8 million
Cost to Massachusetts (PDF) of Walmart associates using publicly subsidized health care in 2009

$1 billion
Cost to nation if public safety net use by Walmart associates in Massachusetts is adjusted nationwide1

And Walmart associates are paying the price…

$15,500
Average annual salary of a Walmart sales associate (based on an IBIS World figure)

$8.81
Average hourly wage of a Walmart sales associate (based on an IBIS World figure)

46¢
Additional cost per shopping trip for a Walmart customer if the company offered a minimum wage of $12 an hour (PDF)

We can make it better.

When UFCW locals and members, Walmart associates, elected officals, religious leaders, small business owners and community allies join together as one, we can make change at Walmart and make change in our communities.

1. Figure is a calculation of the percentage of Massachusetts Walmart associates receiving subsidized care (42%), applied to the 1.4 million associates in the United States, at the cost to Massachusetts per each associate ($1,753.00) receiving aid. Using the data from Massachusetts for 2009 found the percentage of Associates using publicly subsidized care.   Percentage is 42%.  Then applied this to the entire Walmart workforce to determine number of Associates nationally who would receive publicly subsidized care using the rate in Massachusetts.  From the Massachusetts data found the per Associate cost by dividing the total cost of providing subsidized care in MA to Associates by the number of MA Associates receiving subsidized care.  This yielded a per Associate cost of $1,753.  Multiplied that by 42% of Walmart’s total US workforce (1.4 million).  Results in $1 billion.

2. $8.81 per hr x 34 hrs a week x 52 weeks = $15,500

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Talked to DH and we are going to greatly reduce our Walmart shopping trips. We probably average at least $ 500 a months there and I think we could get it below $ 50.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM

No.

My parents do, however.  They are older and try to get by on SS and not touch their savings.

I'm going to ask my mother today - if Walmart had to raise prices a little in order to treat their employees a little more fairly, what would you think?

LiliMama18
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Only time I EVER go is if it's 3 AM and I absolutely need something that I can't get anywhere else right at that moment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Same here. There are tons in the city but I refuse to shop there.

Quoting andiemomo3:

No.  I have great dislike for the corporation as a whole.  I don't remember the last time I went into a WalMart.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM
No. They are not cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yes.  As a matter of fact just shopped there this morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)