Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic Teen's Facebook Costs His Confirmation : Denied Confirmation For Supporting Gay Marriage On Facebook

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 136 Replies

Catholic Teen's Facebook Costs His Confirmation

Lennon Cihak, Minnesota Teen, Denied Confirmation For Supporting Gay Marriage On Facebook

One Catholic teen's Facebook post reportedly cost him his confirmation last month after a picture of him holding a sign urging people to vote for "equal marriage rights" was spotted by his priest at a Minnesota church.

Rev. Gary LaMoine of the Assumption Church in Barnesville, Minn., allegedly denied Lennon Cihak the religious rite of passage after seeing him online holding a sign altered to criticize the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reports. The amendment would have changed the state’s constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

Lennon's mother, Shana told, the Forum that she was shocked to hear of the decision after she was called into a private conversation with the priest, according to the outlet.

However, the priest has since told the Associated Press that the teen was not in fact denied confirmation, but declined to explain, calling it an "internal and pastoral" matter.

"Some people chose to run out into the public and put it out in the media," LaMoine said. He also said he was consulting with the Catholic Diocese of Crookston about the issue.

Lennon Cihak has expressed moderate views on gay marriage on his Twitter.

Lennon told the Forum that despite the church's rejection, the incident has not affected his faith.

“I don’t want the church to be put down. I don’t want the Catholic religion to be put down,” he said. “It’s just the way the priest has things running. He’s so strict. He won’t loosen up about things.”

Earlier this year, a fifth-grade teacher at St. Joseph’s Catholic School in Moorhead, Minn., was fired because she questioned the Catholic Church’s stance on gay marriage, Minnesota Public Radio reports.

According to the Minnesota Star Tribune, the state’s Catholic clergy were among the most vocal supporters of the state's anti-same-sex marriage constitutional amendment and actively asked Catholic voters to help pass the measure. Voters ultimately rejected the amendment, however.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/lennon-cihak-minnesota-teen-denied-confirmation-gay-marriage_n_2140109.html

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

bump

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM
12 moms liked this

I agree with the church on this.  If you want to be Catholic you should have to adhere to the beliefs of Catholicism.  Maybe fewer people would claim to belong to religious sects if they had to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM
5 moms liked this

He will be thankful about this later in life. I feel guilty about going through with my catholic confirmation, like everything else it was forced and expected. I didn't believe in anything the catholic church taught at that time. I'm sure this young man will find a spriitual path that is better suited to his beliefs and spirt.

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Agree with Church,  The priest has the right to do this. It's the same as the priests not giving communion to politicians who support gay marriage.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

*sigh*....how did this even make news.  Its like creating a story about a banana....its what it is.

Catholism = No to homosexuality....full stop.

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a shame really.  Social media is never private.  I'm glad he is keeping his faith, whatever and wherever that may lead him in the future. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM
16 moms liked this
Touching little boys...you stay in the church.

Support equality....church turns on you.

Ah, morality.

Dick move but the church can do what they want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Some posters are so hateful about being Christian.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I didn't see a single hateful post here. The kid is obviously doesn't believe in what his church teaches. He will appreciate this some day.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Some posters are so hateful about being Christian.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Is it hateful to point out what the church believes?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN